Archive for Down on the Farm
Triple-A Scranton (16-5 win over Charlotte)
- 2B Jose Pirela: 2-6, 1 R, 1 3B, 3 RBI
- RF Rob Refsnyder: 1-6, 1 R, 1 K — in a little 10-for-41 (.242) rut
- LF Zoilo Almonte: 3-6, 2 R, 2 2B, 2 K – if the Yankees are not willing to give him a chance to play right field everyday right now given the state of the MLB roster, I’m not sure they ever will
- 3B Adonis Garcia: 3-6, 3 R, 1 HR, 1 RBI, 1 K
- DH Kyle Roller: 2-5, 2 R, 1 HR, 2 RBI, 1 BB, 1 K
- 1B Austin Romine: 1-4, 2 R, 1 2B, 1 BB — 13-for-34 (.382) in his last ten games
- C John Ryan Murphy: 2-3, 1 R, 1 2B, 3 RBI, 1 BB, 1 K
- LHP Matt Tracy: 5.1 IP, 8 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 4 K, 1 HB, 7/3 GB/FB — 53 of 89 pitches were strikes (60%)
- RHP Danny Burawa: 1 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 1/1 GB/FB — ten of 18 pitches were strikes (56%)
Triple-A Scranton (7-0 loss to Charlotte)
- 2B Jose Pirela: 0-3, 1 BB, 1 K
- RF Rob Refsnyder: 0-4, 1 K — back in right field
- DH Zoilo Almonte: 0-4, 2 K
- 1B Kyle Roller: 0-3, 2 K
- C Austin Romine: 0-3, 1 K
- LHP Nik Turley: 5 IP, 5 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 1 BB, 6 K, 2 HB, 4/2 GB/FB — 54 of 79 pitches were strikes (68%)
- LHP Rich Hill: 1 IP, zeroes, 2 K, 1/0 GB/FB — nine of 12 pitches were strikes … first appearance since signing a minor league deal the other day
- RHP Joel De La Cruz: 2 IP, 3 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 1 K, 1 HB, 1/3 GB/FB – 27 of 46 pitches were strikes (59%)
First, the notes:
- Brian Cashman told Chad Jennings they would prefer to let 2B Rob Refsnyder spend the rest of the season with Triple-A Scranton, at least in part due to the impending 40-man roster crunch. Refsnyder does not have to be added to the 40-man until the 2015-16 offseason.
- Baseball Prospectus (subs. req’d) spoke to an anonymous scout about RHP Jaron Long. “Could see big league time for the Yankees this year. He’s a 6-foot right-handed pitcher that throws from a traditional arm slot and might sniff 90 on his best days,” said the scout. The Yankees signed Long as an undrafted free agent, so if he contributes in any way at the MLB level, it’s a big win.
- Joe DeLessio interviewed several of this year’s top international free agents, including Yankees signees SS Dermis Garcia, 3B Nelson Gomez, and OF Juan De Leon. They’re short and fun interviews (what are you going to buy first with your bonus, etc.), so check ‘em out.
Triple-A Scranton (8-4 loss to Charlotte)
- RF Jose Pirela & 2B Rob Refsnyder: both 1-5, 1 K
- LF Zoilo Almonte: 2-4, 2 R, 1 2B, 1 BB, 1 K — 13-for-40 (.325) in his last ten games
- C John Ryan Murphy: 1-4, 1 R, 1 RBI, 1 PB
- RHP Chris Leroux: 4 IP, 6 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 3 BB, 5 K, 3 WP, 3/1 GB/FB — 44 of 86 pitches were strikes (51%)
- LHP Jeremy Bleich: 1.1 IP, 2 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 0 K, 2/2 GB/FB — 16 of 24 pitches were strikes (67%)
- LHP Tyler Webb: 1.1 IP, 2 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 3 K – 23 of 37 pitches were strikes (62%) in his Triple-A debut … 71/16 K/BB in 50 innings this year
- Joel Sherman wrote about RHP Luis Severino and how even the Yankees didn’t realize how good he was when they signed him. The “best pitching prospect in a decade” stuff is silly, but check it out anyway. Fun read.
- VP of Baseball Ops Mark Newman confirmed to Chad Jennings that no one will be sent down in the wake of OF Jake Cave’s promotion to Double-A Trenton. Manager Tony Franklin will simply have to squeeze everyone into the lineup.
- The Yankees have signed LHP Rich Hill to a minor league contract and assigned him to Triple-A Scranton, according to Jennings. Cue up the usual complaints about a minor league deal with zero impact on the MLB team.
- RHP Nick Rumbelow was also among those promoted from High-A Tampa to Double-A Trenton, reports Matt Kardos. Dan Pfeiffer says RHP Manny Barreda was released to make room on the roster. He was the team’s 12th round pick in 2007 and spent parts of eight years in the system as an organizational arm. Apparently he’s already hooked on with the Brewers. Good for him.
Triple-A Scranton (9-5 loss to Charlotte)
- LF Jose Pirela: 0-5, 1 RBI, 1 K — threw a runner out at second
- 2B Rob Refsnyder: 1-5, 1 R, 2 K — third straight game at second after three straight in right field
- RF Zoilo Almonte: 1-5, 1 R, 1 2B, 1 RBI, 1 K
- DH Kyle Roller: 2-4, 1 R, 1 HR, 1 RBI, 2 K – career-high-tying 18th homer
- 1B Austin Romine: 1-4, 1 K, 1 E (fielding) — 13-for-30 (.433) in his last nine games
- C John Ryan Murphy: 0-4, 2 K
- CF Antoan Richardson: 2-3, 1 R, 1 HBP, 1 CS — that snaps his string of 43 consecutive successful stolen base attempts dating back to last May
- RHP Bryan Mitchell: 4 IP, 7 H, 6 R, 6 ER, 3 BB, 3 K, 5/3 GB/FB — 40 of 74 pitches were strikes (54%) … he allowed four homers
- RHP Danny Burawa: 1 IP, 2 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 0 K, 1/0 GB/FB — 12 of 23 pitches were strikes (52%)
- SwP Pat Venditte: 2 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 4 K, 1 Balk, 2/0 GB/FB — 2/0 GB/FB — 21 of 27 pitches were strikes (78%) … 65/16 K/BB in 54 innings
- RHP Matt Daley: 1 IP, zeroes, 2 K, 1/0 GB/FB — 13 of 23 pitches were strikes (57%) … 40/7 in 27.2 innings at this level
Some notes, including a few promotions. It’s that time of year:
- 3B Eric Jagielo and LHP Ian Clarkin have been activated off the High-A Tampa DL and Low-A Charleston DL, respectively, the teams announced. Jagielo missed more than a month with an oblique issue while Clarkin missed two weeks with a sprained ankle.
- RHP Brady Lail and LHP Caleb Smith were both promoted from Charleston to High-A Tampa, the River Dogs announced. Matt Kardos says LHP Francisco Rondon and RHP Diego Moreno are going down from Triple-A Scranton to Double-A Trenton.
- In case you missed it yesterday, OF Jake Cave, LHP Jacob Lindgren, and RHP Luis Severino were all promoted as well.
Triple-A Scranton is off until tomorrow for the All-Star break. The International League beat the Pacific Coast League by the score of 7-3. Here’s the box score.
- 2B Jose Pirela: 0-1, 1 R, 2 BB – started the game and batted second, played five innings … he was the only Yankees farmhand elected to the game
- As expected, the Yankees have sent RHP Bryan Mitchell back down to Triple-A Scranton, reports Matt Kardos. The MLB active roster currently sits at 24 players. Carlos Beltran is expected to be activated off the 7-day concussion disabled list after the All-Star break.
- RHP Luis Severino has been promoted to Double-A Trenton, according to Josh Norris. That is really, really aggressive. He made four starts and threw 20.2 innings with High-A Tampa. Maybe they’re showcasing him for a trade.
- Norris says OF Jake Cave was promoted to Trenton from Tampa as well. I wonder if that means OF Mason Williams will be demoted to Tampa for the rest of the season? It wouldn’t be undeserved.
- LHP Jacob Lindgren was promoted to Tampa from Low-A Charleston, according to his father’s Twitter feed. That makes sense. It probably won’t be his final promotion of the summer either.
- If you’ve ever wondered what minor leaguers receive when they win an Offensive Player or Pitcher of the Week award, Severino shared it on Twitter. It’s just a paper certificate like you used to get in elementary school.
- And finally, Ben Badler wrote a pretty great article on C Luis Torrens and his development as a recently converted catcher. You need a subscription to read it, unfortunately.
Triple-A Scranton is off until Thursday for the All-Star break. The actual game is tomorrow night. UTIL Jose Pirela was the only Yankees farmhand selected to the International League squad.
The video above is C/1B Peter O’Brien taking some hacks during batting practice before yesterday’s Futures Game, courtesy of Baseball America. Here are some more notes:
- In his Futures Game write-up (subs. req’d), Keith Law noted O’Brien “struck out in his only two at bats; he was late on fastballs at 95 to 96 and then struck out on a slider down. His home run total this year is outstanding, but he seems to have a lot of trouble hitting above-average stuff. “
- Nathaniel Stoltz at FanGraphs has a write-up and some video on RHP Brady Lail. “If you want comps to dream on, Lail’s arsenal isn’t too far off from Jesse Chavez‘s or Mike Leake‘s,” wrote Stoltz, “and if he can add some weight and prove he can shoulder heavy workloads, he might have a shot to emerge as a quality rotation contributor in that mold.”
- Both LHP Matt Tracy and LHP Tyler Webb will be promoted to Triple-A Scranton after the All-Star break this week, according to Nick Peruffo. Tracy was up for a few spot starts earlier this year, but this will be Webb’s first take of the level. Anytime a southpaw gets to Triple-A, he puts himself in position for an MLB role, even if it’s only as a lefty specialist.
- Matt Kardos reports that both O’Brien and C Gary Sanchez will participate in the Double-A Eastern League Home Run Derby later this week, which is neat. Hard to think O’Brien won’t win it with his power.
- And finally, LHP Miguel Subaran was named the High-A Florida State League Pitcher of the Week, so congrats to him. The Yankees got him from the Twins for Eduardo Nunez.
Triple-A Scranton is off until Thursday for the All-Star break. The actual game is Wednesday night. UTIL Jose Pirela was the only Yankees farmhand selected to the International League squad.
2014 Futures Game (Team USA won 3-2)
- 1B Peter O’Brien: 0-2, 2 K — struck out against Astros RHP Michael Feliz and Padres RHP Tayron Guerrero
- RHP Luis Severino: 1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 K, 0/2 GB/FB – nine of 12 pitches were strikes (75%), and Keith Law says he was 93-95 mph … the strike out came against eventual Futures Game MVP Rangers 3B Joey Gallo … watch his outing in the poor quality, no audio video above
Both RHP Luis Severino and C/1B/RF Peter O’Brien have been placed on the temporarily inactive list … because they are in Minnesota for the Futures Game. The game is tomorrow afternoon.
Triple-A Scranton (5-2 loss to Rochester)
- LF Jose Pirela: 0-3, 1 BB
- 2B Rob Refsnyder: 2-3, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 CS, 1 E (missed catch)
- RF Adonis Garcia & 1B Kyle Roller: both 0-4 — Roller struck out twice
- C Austin Romine: 1-3, 1 R, 1 BB — 14-for-38 (.368) in his last ten games
- DH John Ryan Murphy: 1-4, 2 K
- CF Taylor Dugas: 2-4, 1 R, 1 K – 11-for-29 (.379) in his last ten games
- LHP Nik Turley: 5.2 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 4 BB, 2 K, 8/2 GB/FB — 50 of 94 pitches were strikes (53%)
- RHP Danny Burawa: 2 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 3 BB, 3 K, 2/0 GB/FB — 23 of 47 pitches were strikes (49%) … 18/11 K/BB in his last 11.2 innings
Some notes, starting with injury updates from Josh Norris:
- LHP Ian Clarkin is on the Low-A Charleston DL with a sprained ankle and SS Jorge Mateo is out with a sore hand. He is not on the disabled list, however. As long as Clarkin’s arm is fine, whatever. SS Abi Avelino (quad) will return to game action tomorrow and 3B Eric Jagielo (oblique) could return next week. I guess he had a setback.
- C Luis Torrens was sixth on this week’s Prospect Hot Sheet. The 18-year-old came in Friday hitting .409/.447/.659 (217 wRC+) with four doubles, two triples, and one homer in eleven games with Short Season Staten Island.
Triple-A Scranton (5-1 win over Rochester)
- RF Jose Pirela: 3-4, 2 R, 1 2B, 1 RBI — so what do you think, he gets the All-Star break to get comfortable in right then gets the call?
- 2B Rob Refsnyder: 1-4, 1 RBI
- DH Kyle Roller: 1-3, 1 BB, 1 K
- 1B Austin Romine: 3-4, 1 R, 2 RBI, 1 K — 11-for-23 (.478) in his last six games
- C John Ryan Murphy: 0-3, 1 BB, 2 K
- RHP Jairo Heredia: 5 IP, 6 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 5 K, 3/7 GB/FB — 52 of 79 pitches were strikes (66%)
- SwP Pat Venditte: 2 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 1/1 GB/FB — 26 of 42 pitches were strikes (62%)