Record Last Week: 3-2-1 (32 RS, 16 RA)
Spring Training Record: 10-12-3 (91 RS, 106 RA)
Schedule This Week: @ Rays (Mon. on MLB), @ Orioles (Tues. on YES/MLBN), vs. Blue Jays (Weds). Thurs. OFF, vs. Astros (Fri.), vs. Pirates (Sat. on YES), @ Twins (Sun.)
Top stories from last week:
- A.J. Burnett was officially named the number two starter while Phil Hughes will handle the three-spot. Fourth/fifth starter candidate Ivan Nova is playing around with a new slider, and rumors of Sergio Mitre‘s impending release don’t pass the sniff test. The Yankees watched Kevin Millwood’s unimpressive workout just in case.
- Andrew Brackman, Dellin Betances, and five others were reassigned to minor league camp.
- Injury Zone: Joba Chamberlain (strained oblique), Pedro Feliciano (dead arm), and Boone Logan (back spasms) battled various ailments this week, but all three are progressing well. Brett Gardner had some soreness/tightness after fouling a ball off his shin, but he’s fine. Russell Martin is no longer using that light-weight brace for his surgically repaired knee, and Mitre is back on the mound after missing an appearance with a strained oblique.
- Rule 5 Draft loss George Kontos was returned by the Padres. Yeicok Calderon and Ravel Santana were listed among Baseball America’s top 20 Latin American summer league prospects.
- The Opening Day payroll is right around $189M at the moment. Unsurprisingly, the Yankees are on Felix Hernandez’s no-trade list.
- Yankee Stadium parking lot owners are defaulting on their bonds.
- Joe Torre will attend Old Timer’s Day this season.
Please take a second to answer the poll below and give us an idea of how confident you are in the team. You can view the Fan Confidence Graph anytime via the nav bar above, or by clicking here. Thanks in advance for voting.