Lots of notes, so let bullet point…
- 1B Kyle Roller (8th round) has signed, ditto RHP Connor Mullee (24). LHP Trevor Johnson (22) is expected to stay in school.
- For what it’s worth, Paul O’Neill said during tonight’s broadcast that his nephew Mike (42nd rounder) is probably going to follow through on his commitment to Michigan. He apparently injured his shoulder right before the draft and needs surgery. It was a nepotism pick anyway.
- The Yankees will follow the progress of these players during the summer before deciding whether or not to offer a deal (all courtesy of Robert Pimpsner’s Twitter feed): RHP Dan Burawa (12), LHP Cameron Hobson (37th), OF Mike Gerber (40), and LHP Kyle Hunter (43).
- LHP Evan Rutckyj (16) has signed with a Florida junior college, which slightly increases his negotiating leverage since he can just re-enter the draft next year. He’s reportedly looking for a first round pay day.
- Absolutely zero Yankee draft picks are still playing in the NCAA Division I postseason, in case you’re curios. No College World Series section in DotF this summer. Lame.
- Joel Sherman heard the Yanks were “talking about trying to re-sign” Chris Garcia, presumably to a minor league deal. He’ll be out until next spring after having his second Tommy John surgery in April.
Triple-A Scranton (9-5 loss to Charlotte) got beat by an old buddy
Reid Gorecki, CF, Reegie Corona, 2B & David Winfree, RF: all 1 for 5 – Gorecki scored a run, K’ed & committed a fielding error … Winfree doubled, drove in a run, scored another & K’ed
Eduardo Nunez, SS & Chad Huffman, 1B: both 2 for 5, 1 R, 1 2B – Huffman drove in two & K’ed
Juan Miranda, DH: 2 for 4, 1 BB – hasn’t played the field since leaving a game after being hit by a pitch a few weeks ago
Jesus Montero, C: 2 for 4, 1 R, 2 2B, 1 RBI, 1 K, 1 PB – five for his last 17 (.294) … last three hits have been doubles … progress, people
Greg Golson, LF: 1 for 4, 2 K
Zach McAllister: 2.1 IP, 7 H, 6 R, 6 ER, 2 BB, 1 K, 2-4 GB/FB – 31 of 53 pitches were strikes (58.5%) … first game back from a minor triceps issue, so he gets a mulligan
Jason Hirsh: 4.1 IP, 6 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 1 BB, 3 K, 3-7 GB/FB -46 of 66 pitches were strikes (69.7%)
Royce Ring: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 K, 1-1 GB/FB – 13 of his 19 pitches were strikes (68.4%)