Yankees baseball returns to tomorrow. Granted, it is only Grapefruit League play, but baseball is baseball. Tomorrow’s game will be available on MLB.tv but not YES, if you’re wondering. (Here’s the full Spring Training broadcast schedule.) Here are the day’s notes from Tampa:
- Most important story of the day was Masahiro Tanaka facing hitters for the first time in live batting practice. Everything went according to plan. “I know everyone’s worried about the elbow, and I have to be cautious … but everything’s perfectly fine,” he said. Chris Capuano, Jose Ramirez, and Dellin Betances were among the others to throw live batting practice while CC Sabathia was the only pitcher to throw a bullpen. [Chad Jennings, Ryan Hatch]
- The Yankees played an intrasquad game — “glorified base-running practice” is what Joe Girardi called it — with a pitching machine. These were the lineups for Team Gator and Team Goose. No stats were kept as far as I know because no one is that crazy. Chris Young did strike out against the pitching machine though. Like, for real. [Brendan Kuty]
- Alex Rodriguez will make his spring debut as the DH on Wednesday. Carlos Beltran won’t play his first game until Friday. He’s fine, they’re just easing him into action after offseason elbow surgery. Sabathia won’t make his spring debut for another week. Brendan Ryan (mid-back sprain) was able to take some swings yesterday and resumed working out. He hopes to get into a game later this week. [Sweeny Murti, Erik Boland, Hatch, Kuty]
- Among the players making the short trip to Clearwater for tomorrow’s Grapefruit League opener are Brett Gardner, Jacoby Ellsbury, Rob Refsnyder, Aaron Judge, Greg Bird, Adam Warren, Luis Severino, and Jacob Lindgren. Warren will start and both Severino and Lindgren are scheduled to pitch. The full roster for the trip is right here. [Mark Feinsand]
- Capuano and Bryan Mitchell will start the two split squad games on Friday. Capuano, the veteran, starts the home game. (Mitchell only has to go to Clearwater.) As a reminder, Nathan Eovaldi and Esmil Rogers are starting Wednesday and Thursday, respectively. [Jennings]
Here is your open thread for the evening. The new look (hockey) Rangers are playing, and so are the Nets. There’s also some college basketball on as well. Talk about those games, Spring Training, tomorrow’s upcoming exhibition opener, or anything else right here.