Record Last Week: 2-5 (38 RS, 46 RA)
Season Record: 26-18 (246 RS, 181 RA, 29-15 Pythag. record), 6.0 games back
Schedule This Week: Monday OFF, @ Twins (three games, Tues. to Thurs.), vs. Indians (three games, Fri. to Sun.
Top stories from last week:
- The week started off about as well as you could have asked it to, with Marcus Thames taking Jonathan Papelbon deep for a walk-off homer on Monday. However, all that good will was gone the very next day when Thames made a crucial error that led to a loss.
- After splitting the two game set with Boston, the Yanks looked to keep their heads above water against the first place Rays. That didn’t happen, as A.J. Burnett got smacked around on Tuesday and Tampa’s offense was just too much the next day as well.
- With us covering our first series as credentialed members of the media, the Yankees walked into CitiField and beat the Mets thanks to a strong performance from Javy Vazquez. Saturday’s comeback attempt fell short, and then the same thing happened again on Sunday.
- Injury Zone: Nick Johnson will miss 4-6 weeks after having wrist surgery, and Jorge Posada is out 3-4 weeks with a hairline fracture in his foot after getting hit with a foul ball last Sunday. Chan Ho Park was activated off the disabled, but Thames’ adventurous week continued when he sprained his ankle by stepping on his own bat. Vazquez left Friday’s start with a bruised finger suffered while he was trying to lay down a bunt, but he’s still on track to make his next start. Curtis Granderson was able to shag flies, so he started his minor league rehab assignment.
- Among this week’s call ups: Mark Melancon, Chad Moeller, and Kevin Russo. The Yanks also signed minor league infielder Jeff Natale for depth, but Jeremy Bleich will likely require shoulder surgery.
- The Yanks reportedly have interest in Cuban righty Yunesky Maya.
- The team extended it’s player development contract with the Triple-A Scranton franchise through 2014.
- A Tampa area high school was named after George Steinbrenner.
Please take a second to answer the poll below and give us an idea of how confident you are in the team. You can view the Fan Confidence Graph anytime via the nav bar above, or by clicking here. Thanks in advance for voting.