- Jordan Montgomery, Chance Adams, Dillon Tate, and Justus Sheffield were among those to throw bullpen sessions today. Sonny Gray and various minor leaguers, including Jonathan Loaisiga, threw live batting practice. I do believe Gray is the first MLB starter to face hitters this spring. He’ll probably get into a game sooner than everyone else in that case. [Bryan Hoch]
- Aaron Judge is progressing well following offseason shoulder surgery and he will take full batting practice on the field with the rest of the position players tomorrow. Good news. [Erik Boland]
- Jacoby Ellsbury confirmed the Yankees never asked him to waive his no-trade clause over the winter. He was diplomatic when asked about his role, saying, “I know I have a lot of baseball left. Just excited to go out there and play.” Ellsbury added “you want to play (but) winning” is the priority. [Jack Curry, Boland]
- The Yankees haven’t announced anything, but it appears lefty Trevor Lane is in camp as a non-roster invitee. He threw live batting practice today and there are photos of him in big league camp. Lane, 23, was the team’s tenth round pick in 2016. He had a 1.52 ERA (2.37 FIP) with 26.5% strikeouts and 5.8% walks in 65.1 Single-A relief innings last year.
- And finally, if you’re interested in such things, the coaches have numbers now. Hoch has the list. Bench coach Josh Bard is wearing No. 59, first base coach Reggie Willits has No. 50, and third base coach Phil Nevin has No. 53.
This is the open thread for the rest of the day. The Olympics are on, the NBA All-Star Game is on (8pm ET on TNT), the Devils are playing, and there are a few college basketball games on well. Talk about anything here that isn’t religion or politics.