Alright, now that that’s out of the way, let’s get down to business. Pitchers and catchers reported to Spring Training today and the first official workout is scheduled for tomorrow. (Workouts through March 2nd are free and open to the public, the team announced.) Joe Girardi held his annual start of camp press conference this morning — recap and thoughts are right here — and there was plenty of other news and notes to come out of Tampa. Here’s the daily recap from Spring Training:
- Masahiro Tanaka spoke to reporters after Girardi’s press conference. He said his elbow feels “absolutely fine” and he even threw two splitters during his 21-pitch bullpen session yesterday. His next bullpen is scheduled for Sunday. Tanaka had an MRI on his elbow after the season (in October) and everything came back fine. [Brendan Kuty, David Waldstein, David Lennon]
- Adam Warren has already thrown live batting practice twice and is way ahead of the other pitchers. He has consistently been the “shows up to camp super early and gets way ahead of everyone” guy over the years. It seems like he’s set up to start the team’s first Grapefruit League game on March 3rd. [Chad Jennings]
- Jose Ramirez is over the lat injury that cost him most of last season and has already thrown bullpens. Chase Whitley‘s wife is due to give birth any moment now, so he’ll probably miss a few days of camp soon. Nathan Eovaldi said he’s thrilled to be a Yankee and needs to work on both his consistency and offspeed stuff. Michael Pineda looks to be in excellent shape, which wasn’t the case a few years ago. [Jennings, Jack Curry, Andrew Marchand]
- At a Triple-A Scranton event yesterday, Mark Teixeira said his wrist feels better than it has in years. “This offseason, I got a chance to just work out and get strong. That’s who I am. I’m a big, power-hitting first baseman, and I have to be strong,” he said. [Donnie Collins]
- Among the position players already in camp are Carlos Beltran, Stephen Drew, Chase Headley, and Garrett Jones. Drew is excited about having his regular Spring Training in three years after dealing with injuries and last year’s contract situation.[Brendan Kuty, Jennings]
- And finally, among the notable guest instructors this year are Reggie Jackson, Goose Gossage, Hideki Matsui, Ron Guidry, Lee Mazzilli, Stump Merrill, and Billy Connors. There will be plenty more coming in and out these next few weeks. [Associated Press]
This is your open thread for the night. The Rangers, Devils, Knicks, and Nets are all playing tonight, so talk about those games, the start of Spring Training, or anything else right here. Have at it folks.