One week from today, the Yankees will open their Grapefruit League schedule against the Phillies in Clearwater. Actual baseball games are right around the corner. Here are the day’s notes from Tampa:
- Chris Capuano, David Carpenter, Chase Whitley, and Bryan Mitchell all threw live batting practice while CC Sabathia, Andrew Bailey, Dellin Betances, Scott Baker, Michael Pineda, and Adam Warren were among those to throw bullpen sessions. The catchers all hit and Carlos Beltran went through a full workout. Beltran is allowed to work out on the main field before position players report because he’s coming off offseason surgery. [Chad Jennings]
- Ivan Nova threw his third bullpen as part of his rehab from Tommy John surgery. He threw 25 pitches, all fastballs, and will likely throw one more all fastballs bullpen before starting to incorporate changeups. Breaking balls are next after that. [Meredith Marakovits]
- Chase Headley reported a day early to camp and worked out alongside Alex Rodriguez. He said all the right things (A-Rod isn’t a distraction, etc.). Alex said he has been getting support from teammates and thinks he’ll need 2-3 weeks to shake off the rust. Cole Figueroa and Chris Young has also reported a day early. [Jack Curry, Marakovits, Brendan Kuty]
- Bailey said he appreciates the team’s patience with him and he wants to make the Opening Day roster. Joe Girardi cautioned they still need to see him in games. Slade Heathcott said his twice surgically repaired knee feels great and he’s ready for games right now. [Jennings, Dan Barbarisi]
- And finally, third base prospect Eric Jagielo has a special tutor this spring: Scott Rolen. New farm system chief Gary Denbo asked Rolen to come down to camp to work with the defensively challenged Jagielo. Denbo and Rolen know each other from their days with the Blue Jays. [Kuty]
Here is the nightly open thread. Both the Rangers and Islanders are playing and there is some college basketball on as well. Feel free to talk about those games, Spring Training, or anything else right here.