Adam Warren gave up a solo homer on the very first pitch of the game but otherwise settled down and threw three pretty uneventful innings. Andrew Miller struck out one in a perfect inning and Dellin Betances struck out two after allowing a ground ball double down the line in his spring debut. He threw one inning. Luis Severino struck out three and allowed an unearned run in 1.1 innings of work. Wilking Rodriguez and Jared Burton retired the final six Nats batters to close out the game. Here’s the box score, here are the video highlights, and here’s the rest from Tampa:
- CC Sabathia threw a 29-pitch live batting practice session this morning and said he “felt good, no problems. I was able to throw everything.” He’ll throw a two-inning simulated game next before pitching in an actual Grapefruit League game. [Erik Boland, Meredith Marakovits]
- During an in-game interview with the YES booth, Joe Girardi confirmed Masahiro Tanaka will start Thursday’s game against the Braves. Here’s the rotation for Monday through Friday: Michael Pineda (Nathan Eovaldi in relief), Chase Whitley, Chris Capuano, Tanaka, Warren. [Chad Jennings]
- A-Rod played the field today but will DH tomorrow with Beltran playing right field. “I wouldn’t expect too much movement (in the field this year),” said Alex. “Ball’s hit to me, catch it and throw to first. It’s not going to be an Ozzie Smith year.” [Marly Rivera, Jennings]
- Capuano, Bryan Mitchell, Jose Ramirez, Andrew Bailey, and Jacob Lindgren all threw bullpen sessions this morning while the position players went through a usual day of hitting and fielding work. [Jennings]
- Brendan Ryan (mid-back sprain) is feeling better but is still day-to-day and is only taking baby steps in workouts. He’s concerned about missing the start of the season. [Ryan Hatch]
Here’s the nightly open thread. This afternoon’s game against the Nationals will be replayed on both MLB Network (8pm ET) and YES (9pm ET), if you’re interested. The Nets are playing right now, both the Rangers and Devils are playing later tonight, and there’s one college basketball game on as well. You folks know what to do here, so have at it.