Here are the day’s notes:
- LHP Justus Sheffield (oblique) has started throwing, reports Kyle Franko. He made 50 throws from 60 feet on flat ground. There is no timetable for Sheffield’s return, though the fact he’s throwing is good news. Maybe Sheffield will go to the Arizona Fall League to make up for the lost innings.
- C Kyle Higashioka (back) has been throwing and the hope is he will get back into games within a week, according to Conor Foley and D.J. Eberle. Between the injuries and spending a month sitting on the big league bench, Higashioka has only 73 plate appearances this season. That’s not good.
- Two Yankees on this week’s Prospect Hot Sheet: OF Billy McKinney (14th ) and 3B Dermis Garcia (20th). Also, RHP Deivi Garcia was the Helium Watch player. “He’s a smaller righthander with a big arm. His fastball has touched as high as 96 mph in the past, and he’s shown feel to spin a curveball as well,” said the write-up.
Triple-A Scranton (3-1 win over Pawtucket, walk-off style)
- LF-CF Jake Cave: 1-4, 1 K — now a 19-game hitting streak
- CF Aaron Hicks: 0-3, 2 K — played seven innings in his third rehab game, as scheduled
- 3B Miguel Andujar: 3-4, 1 R, 1 RBI — hitting streak is up to 17 games … I think the odds are pretty darn good he would outhit Matt Holliday from right now through the end of the season
- DH Tyler Austin: 1-4, 1 R, 1 HR, 2 RBI — walk-off two-run homer
- RF Billy McKinney & 1B Garrett Cooper: both 0-3
- RHP Luis Cessa: 5 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 9 K, 2/2 GB/FB — 47 of 69 pitches were strikes (68%), and Conor Foley says he generated 19 (!) swings and misses
- RHP Jonathan Holder: 2 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 3 K, 1/1 GB/FB — 25 of 33 pitches were strikes (76%)
- RHP Ben Heller: 2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 3 K, 3/0 GB/FB — 19 of 27 pitches were strikes (70%) … really wish all those big league innings that went to Holder earlier this year had gone to Heller instead