Got some notes to get us started:
- RHP Nick Rumbelow has been moved up from Double-A Trenton to Triple-A Scranton, the team announced. Rumblin’ Rumbelow has a 2.38 ERA (1.40 FIP) with 15 strikeouts and three walks in his first 11.1 innings back from Tommy John surgery.
- SS Jorge Mateo was named the Eastern League Offensive Player of the Week following his first week in Double-A. He’s went 12-for-23 (.522) with three triples and a homer in six games last week. It would be so rad if Mateo could rebuild some prospect value these final two months of the minor league season. The more productive high-end prospects at the upper levels, the better.
- Make sure you check out 2080 Baseball’s latest scouting reports on Mateo, 2B Nick Solak, and RHP Dillon Tate. “(He) projects to have three plus-or-better pitches in his arsenal, which are the makings of a future Role 60 number three starter at maturity,” said the Tate write-up.
- The Yankees have signed Alabama-Birmingham RHP Garrett Whitlock, their 18th round pick, according to a family member on Twitter. No word on his bonus, though I doubt it exceeds the $125,000 slot for picks after the tenth round. Whitlock was awesome in the Cape Cod League last year, sitting mid-90s with a nasty slider. He had a back injury this spring and his stuff backed up.
- The Yankees have signed Manhattan SS Jose Carrera as an undrafted free agent, reports Dan Martin. “This game is not about size. The biggest thing you can have in this game is your heart, and the mental side of it. If you’re tough and you believe in yourself, you can succeed,” said the 5-foot-2 Carrera. He hit .274/.344/.381 in four years with the Jaspers.
Triple-A Scranton (6-5 win over Pawtucket) they scored five runs in the top of the ninth to win
- 2B Donovan Solano: 2-4, 1 R, 1 RBI, 1 BB — 15-for-38 (.395) during his nine-game hitting streak
- DH Ji-Man Choi: 2-5, 1 2B, 2 RBI, 1 K — had the go-ahead two-run double during that ninth inning rally … Bill Koch says it clanked off a rehabbing Brock Holt’s glove in left field
- 3B Miguel Andujar: 1-5, 1 R, 1 2B, 1 K, 1 E (throwing)
- LF Billy McKinney: 3-4, 1 R, 1 HR, 2 RBI — 6-for-16 (.375) with a double and two homers in four Triple-A games
- SS Abi Avelino: 0-2, 1 R, 1 BB
- RHP Ronald Herrera: 6 IP, 5 H, 5 R, 4 ER, 1 BB, 3 K, 4/6 GB/FB — 48 of 73 pitches were strikes (66%)
- RHP Jonathan Holder: 1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 K, 1/0 GB/FB — eleven of 16 pitches were strikes (69%) … first appearance since being sent down
- RHP Nick Rumbelow: 2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 2 K, 2/1 GB/FB — 21 of 38 pitches were strikes (55%) … first Triple-A appearance since blowing out his elbow last April