The second official day of Spring Training workouts is in the books. Here is a recap of the day from Tampa:
- Masahiro Tanaka threw his second bullpen of the spring and everything went fine. He even mixed in a “fair number” of breaking pitches. Nathan Eovaldi, Adam Warren, and Danny Burawa all threw live batting practice while Esmil Rogers, Chasen Shreve, and Justin Wilson were among those to throw in the bullpen. All the catchers took BP. [Dan Barbarisi, Chad Jennings]
- Eovaldi said he is working to add a splitter, which he started doing late last year. (PitchFX picked it up as a changeup.) “I started working on it last year, the last two games of the season. I was throwing it out there quite a bit. I was just, it was just a new pitch and I took it into the bullpen. It’s just a comfort pitch. It felt good for me,” he said. David Carpenter is also working to add a splitter. [Brendan Kuty]
- Andrew Bailey has already thrown four bullpens after missing all of last year following shoulder capsule surgery and numerous setbacks. He said he feels a “night and day difference” compared to this time last year. [Jennings]
- A new set of guest instructors arrived in camp, including Orlando Hernandez. Andy Pettitte and Eric Chavez will serve as guest instructors at some point as well. [Sweeny Murti, Bryan Hoch]
- And finally, Chase Whitley figures to miss a few days because his son was born this morning. Congrats to him and his wife.
Here is your open thread for the rest of the weekend. The Rangers and Islanders are both playing tonight, and there’s a little bit of college basketball going on somewhere. Talk about those games or anything else right here.