Got some links to pass along:
- Yankees crosschecker D.J. Svihlik is leaving the team to join Vanderbilt as an assistant coach, reports John Manuel. Svihlik called it a “very difficult time” to leave the Yankees because the farm system is so loaded. He’s signed a ton of players over the years, including David Robertson.
- Kyle Franko spoke to Double-A Trenton manager Bobby Mitchell and others about 1B Tyler Austin in the wake of his first MLB game yesterday. The Thunder clubhouse erupted in cheers when he went deep. Austin started the season in Trenton, remember.
- Grace Raynor wrote about minor league salaries and how the guys who didn’t get huge bonuses make ends meet. Low-A Charleston reliever RHP Sean Carley would go to Spring Training workouts in the morning and drive for Uber in the afternoon.
- Shane Hennigan talked to RHP Johnny Barbato about his various problems this year. He started well in the big leagues before struggling, and he hasn’t been all that great in Triple-A either. “It’s a mind game and you have to be able to conquer that,” he said.
Triple-A Scranton Game One (4-0 win over Rochester in seven innings) makeup of yesterday’s rainout
- CF Ben Gamel: 1-3, 1 RBI, 1 BB, 1 K — got picked off first
- LF Clint Frazier: 2-4, 1 RBI — 7-for-20 (.350) in his last five games
- 2B Rob Refsnyder: 0-3, 1 RBI, 1 BB — back in Triple-A for the first time since late-May
- C Kyle Higashioka: 1-4
- RF Cesar Puello: 0-3, 1 K
- LHP Jordan Montgomery: 5.2 IP, 6 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 3 BB, 8 K, 4/3 GB/FB — 68 of 98 pitches were strikes (69%) … two earned runs in 18.1 Triple-A innings so far (0.98 ERA)
- RHP Nick Goody: 1.1 IP, zeroes, 2 K — ten of 16 pitches were strikes (63%)