Got a whole bunch of notes to pass along:
- Keith Law (subs. req’d) caught Double-A Trenton over the weekend and said RHP Brady Lail “showed a solid-average fastball/curveball combination and pounded the zone all night … He’s a fair ground ball guy now who throws a lot of strikes, and could profile as a fifth starter with a better third pitch — he’s a good candidate for a difference in splits given his arm slot — or a good two-pitch reliever if not.”
- The Yankees were planning to call up RHP Bryan Mitchell for tomorrow’s spot start, but he fell and hit his head in the weight room last week, Joe Girardi told Bryan Hoch. His most recent start for Triple-A Scranton had to pushed back (Mitchell’s fine now) and he no longer lined up for Tuesday. Womp womp.
- RHP Chris Martin has been placed on the Triple-A Scranton DL, reports Chad Jennings. Martin had elbow trouble earlier this year but it’s unclear if that’s the problem. If nothing else, the Yankees are out one depth arm for the foreseeable future.
- RHP Andrew Bailey has been activated off the Double-A Trenton temporarily inactive list, so says Matt Kardos. Also, RHP Joel De La Cruz has been bumped up to Triple-A Scranton, replacing Martin on the roster.
- RHP Jonathan Holder was officially activated off the High-A Tampa DL, according to Nick Flammia. I’m not sure what was wrong with him, but he missed about six weeks. RHP Chris Smith was released to clear a roster spot.
- And finally, check out this Josh Norris article on OF Slade Heathcott, who is currently on a minor league rehab assignment. Heathcott spoke about all the adversity he’s dealt with (on and off the field) and how he’s learned to deal with everything.
Triple-A Scranton (3-1 loss to Lehigh Valley)
- CF Ben Gamel: 1-4, 1 K — threw a runner out at second … what, no two hits and a triple?
- 2B Jose Pirela: 1-4
- RF Aaron Judge: 0-3, 1 BB
- 1B Greg Bird: 0-4, 1 K
- C Gary Sanchez: 1-4 — he’s hitting sixth … this is easily the most prospect-laden I can ever remember the Triple-A affiliate, at least position player-wise
- LF Tyler Austin: 1-3 — threw a runner out at third
- RHP Esmil Rogers: 5.1 IP, 6 H, 3 R, 2 ER, 5 BB, 6 K, 1 Balk, 4/1 GB/FB — 54 of 98 pitches were strikes (55%)
- RHP Jose Ramirez: 2.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 5 K, 1/1 GB/FB — 24 of 36 pitches were strikes (67%) … 18/3 K/BB in his last 15.1 innings
- LHP James Pazos: 1.1 IP, zeroes, 2 K, 0/2 GB/FB — eleven of 21 pitches were strikes (52%)