Michael Pineda looked pretty damn sharp in his two scoreless innings of work, striking out two. Just like last year, basically. One scout had his fastball at 95 mph according to Erik Boland, if you’re wondering. Nathan Eovaldi followed with five strikeouts in three scoreless innings, then David Carpenter and Justin Wilson allowed one base-runner and struck out one batter each in their scoreless innings of work. Diego Moreno allowed all three Tampa runs thanks in part to a Rob Refsnyder error. Here’s the box score, here are the video highlights, and here’s the rest from Spring Training:
- Masahiro Tanaka headlined the group of pitchers who threw bullpen sessions. He came through just fine and is preparing for his spring debut on Thursday. Chris Capuano and Domingo German also threw bullpen sessions. I wonder if we’ll see German in a game before the end of camp. [Chad Jennings]
- Top pitching prospect Luis Severino went to the hospital this morning with flu-like symptoms and a very sore throat. He was diagnosed with strep throat and will presumably miss a few days. His arm is fine. [Marly Rivera]
- Pineda and Esmil Rogers will start the split squad games on Saturday. As a reminder, the rotation through the end of the week is Chase Whitley (Tuesday), Capuano (Wednesday), Tanaka (Thursday), and Adam Warren (Friday). [Jennings]
- Nothing new on Brendan Ryan. He’s still working his way back from a mid-back sprain is on track to resume light workouts later this week. Infielder Nick Noonan has a minor neck issue and was scratched from tomorrow’s game. [Jennings]
- And finally, in case you’re wondering how old pal Hiroki Kuroda is doing in Japan, he threw 4.1 perfect innings in his first exhibition game for the Carp over the weekend. Here’s video. Give ’em hell, #HIROK.
Here is the nightly open thread. This afternoon’s game against the Rays will be replayed on both YES (7pm ET) and MLB Network (12am ET) tonight. The Islanders and Knicks are also playing, and there’s one college basketball game on as well. Talk about those games or anything else right here.