Let’s start with some notes:
- So long, Chris Carter. He’s been released, the Yankees announced. I thought they would try to outright him to Triple-A Scranton again considering the first base depth chart is so thin, but I guess not.
- Keith Law (subs. req’d) wrote about RHP Domingo Acevedo’s rough Futures Game performance. “His delivery is so uncoordinated and unrepeatable that I find it hard to believe he’ll ever see even fringe-average command,” write Law. Acevedo gave up three runs and rockets to the first five batters he faced Sunday.
- Meanwhile, Ken Davidoff spoke to Acevedo about his Futures Game performance. “Today I wasn’t as sharp as I’ve been. You can learn from these experiences,” he said. Interestingly, Acevedo said he spoke to Aroldis Chapman about his mental approach to pitching back in Spring Training.
- RHP Brody Koerner and RHP Gilmael Troya were named the Pitchers of the Week for the Double-A Eastern League and Rookie Appalachian League, respectively. Koerner threw 13.1 scoreless innings in two Double-A starts, his first two starts at the level. He has a heavy mid-90s sinker and iffy secondary stuff.
Both Triple-A Scranton and Double-A Trenton are off until Thursday for the All-Star break. Their All-Star Games are tomorrow. LHP Caleb Smith will represent the RailRiders while LHP Nestor Cortes, LHP Nestor Cortes, SS Thairo Estrada, RHP Yefry Ramirez, and OF Zack Zehner will represent the Thunder. Dustin Fowler (injury), LHP Justus Sheffield (injury), and 1B Mike Ford (promotion) were all selected to the All-Star Game but won’t participate for various reasons.
High-A Tampa, Low-A Charleston, and Rookie Pulaski all had scheduled off-days. Most minor league teams have an off-day today so they don’t interfere with the MLB All-Star Game.
Short Season Staten Island Game One (3-1 win over Vermont in seven innings) makeup of their June 29th rainout
- 2B Oswaldo Cabrera: 2-3, 1 R
- SS Wilkerman Garcia: 1-3 — got picked off first
- CF Dom Thompson-Williams: 2-3, 1 R, 1 RBI, 1 CS — 12-for-29 (.414) in his last nine games
- 3B Nelson Gomez: 0-3 — the $2.25M bonus baby is down to .091/.226/.159 in 15 games
- RHP Trevor Stephan: 3 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 4 K, 1/2 GB/FB — 36 of 45 pitches were strikes (80%) … 7.2 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 9 K so far for this year’s third rounder