Masahiro Tanaka got the start and went through the motions for four innings, allowing only a two-run homer to Bobby Wilson. “My mechanics are still a little bit off here and there, but overall I think things are starting to come together,” he said to Pete Caldera after the game. Dellin Betances struck out both batters he faced and Domingo German fanned three in three scoreless innings. Here are the box score and video highlights, and here are the rest of the day’s notes from Tampa:
- In case you missed it earlier, the Yankees signed Neil Walker to a one-year deal worth $4M (!). Jake Cave was designated for assignment to clear a 40-man roster spot. “If he takes something from somebody over time, so be it, but he’s getting a late start given the fact that we’re probably about two weeks away from leaving Florida,” said Brian Cashman when asked about Walker and the second base job. [Bryan Hoch]
- Both Wade and Gleyber Torres said the Walker signing doesn’t change anything for them. They’re still going to work hard and try to win a job, blah blah blah, yadda yadda yadda. “I don’t think anything changes with Tyler. He’s very much in that mix,” said Aaron Boone. Sounds like Wade could still win a bench spot. [Hoch]
- So long, Danny Espinosa. He was released earlier today after going 4-for-25 (.160) this spring, the Yankees announced. Espinosa might’ve asked for the release after the Walker signing. He wants to find a job before Opening Day. Also, Kyle Holder was sent to minor league camp. The Yankees are down to 49 players in big league camp, by my count.
- Jacoby Ellsbury (oblique) is inching closer to returning to Grapefruit League games, but it is looking less and less likely he will be ready for Opening Day. “We’re probably getting into that range where we’re butting up against it,” said Boone. [Hoch]
- And finally, Marcus Stroman won’t be ready for Opening Day, Blue Jays manager John Gibbons announced today. He may not pitch in that first series against the Yankees at all. Stroman has been slowed by a shoulder issue this spring. [Hazel Mae]
The Yankees will be back at it tomorrow afternoon with a home game against the Tigers. That game will be televised. CC Sabathia is the scheduled starter. Maybe Walker will play? He participated in MLBPA’s free agent camp and should be close to game ready.