On the mound, Jonathan Loaisiga struck out seven and allowed two solo homers in four innings to close out his Grapefruit League season. He allowed 13 runs in 16 innings this spring. Zack Britton tossed 1.2 scoreless innings and Adam Ottavino struck out one in a scoreless frame Here are the box score and video highlights, and here are the day’s Spring Training notes:
- Luis Severino (shoulder) will stretch out his throwing out to 90 feet tomorrow. He played catch at 60 feet the last two days and rested today. Dellin Betances (shoulder) will start throwing in the next few days. Greg Bird (elbow) will return to the lineup tomorrow after getting hit by a pitch Wednesday. “I’m just glad it’s good,” he said. [Associated Press]
- Aaron Hicks (back) has yet to resume baseball activities and Aaron Boone said it is “too ambitious” to expect him back on April 4th, the first day he’ll be eligible to be activated off the disabled list. The Yankees are taking it slow because they don’t want Hicks suffering a setback. [Bryan Hoch]
- Boone reiterated the Yankees are leaning toward carrying CC Sabathia on the Opening Day roster to get his five-game suspension out of the way. That makes the most sense. Five-day suspension then ten-day injured list means the earliest Sabathia can return is April 13th. [Bryan Hoch]
- Rex Brothers, Danny Coulombe, Phil Diehl, Clint Frazier, and Drew Hutchison were all sent to minor league camp, the Yankees announced. There are 42 players still in big league camp, but with eight guys ticketed for the injured list (or suspended) on Opening Day, there are really 34 players still in camp. Ten more cuts to get down to a 24-man roster.
- Masahiro Tanaka is starting tomorrow and James Paxton is starting Sunday. I assume J.A. Happ will start the exhibition finale Monday. Those will be shorter tune-up starts. Gio Gonzalez is expected to pitch somewhere tomorrow. Maybe in a minor league game [Pete Caldera]
The Yankees will play their final Grapefruit League home game tomorrow afternoon. Tanaka’s starting and maybe we’ll see Gonzalez piggyback. Tomorrow’s game will be televised.