Record Last Week: 0-5 (23 RS, 41 RA)
Season Record: 22-22 (194 RS, 197 RA, 22-22 pythag. record)
Opponents This Week: vs. Royals (three games, Mon. to Weds.), @ Athletics (four games, Thurs. to Sun.)
Top stories from last week:
- The week started with an off-day, then the Yankees suffered a walk-off 8-6 loss to the Nationals on Tuesday. They blew a lead and lost the second game of the series as well, that one 3-2.
- Another off-day followed on Thursday before the team’s series with the Rangers. A comeback fell short in Friday’s 10-9 loss, then the Yankees got embarrassed in Saturday’s 15-4 loss. Sunday’s 5-2 loss was the Yankees’ sixth straight defeat.
- Injury Updates: Jacoby Ellsbury (knee) was placed on the 15-day DL with a sprain, but he is expected to miss more than the minimum 15 days. Masahiro Tanaka (wrist, forearm) threw three innings in his first minor league rehab start and will make another on Wednesday. Brian McCann (calf) left Sunday’s game. Ivan Nova (elbow) pitched in two Extended Spring Training games last week and could soon begin a minor league rehab assignment. Chase Whitley (elbow) underwent Tommy John surgery, as expected. Chris Martin (elbow) has thrown some bullpens and could soon begin a minor league rehab assignment. Gregorio Petit (hand) is still unable to grip a bat. Carlos Beltran (flu-like symptoms) is day-to-day. Top prospect Aaron Judge (leg) missed a few games with tightness but has since returned to action.
- The Yankees called up two young players this week, outfielder Slade Heathcott and lefty Jacob Lindgren. Heathcott replaced Ellsbury and Lindgren replaced Branden Pinder, who was sent down because a fresh arm was needed.
- Hal Steinbrenner confirmed the team will focus on rental players at the trade deadline. The Yankees have interest in 20-year-old Cuban OF Eddy Julio Martinez.
Please take a second to answer the poll below and give us an idea of how confident you are in the team. You can view the interactive Fan Confidence Graph anytime via the Features menu in the nav bar above, or by clicking here. Thanks in advance for voting.
Given the team's current roster construction, farm system, management, etc., how confident are you in the Yankees' overall future?