Record Last Week: 4-3 (29 RS, 25 RA)
Season Record: 51-46 (517 RS, 413 RA, 58-39 pythag. record)
Opponents This Week: Mon. OFF, vs. Reds (two games, Thurs. and Weds.), vs. Rays (four games, Thurs. to Sun.)
Top stories from last week:
- The Yankees opened the week with three games in Minnesota. A comeback fell short in Monday’s 4-2 loss and the offense finally broke out in Tuesday’s 6-3 win. One bad inning sent the Yankees to a 6-1 loss Wednesday.
- A four-game series in Seattle was next. Luis Severino pitched well in Thursday’s 4-1 win, then Aaron Judge nearly hit a ball out of Safeco Field in Friday’s 5-1 win. Two comebacks weren’t enough in Saturday’s 6-5 loss, but the Yankees were able to rebound and win the series with a 6-4 win Sunday.
- Injury Updates: Michael Pineda (elbow) is done for the season following Tommy John surgery. Greg Bird (ankle) will miss 6-8 weeks after having surgery to remove an extra bone. He could return in September. Starlin Castro (hamstring) was placed back on the disabled list. Kyle Higashioka (back) is not close to returning.
- The Yankees made their most significant trade deadline deal in several years last week. They acquired Todd Frazier, David Robertson, and Tommy Kahnle from the White Sox for Blake Rutherford, Ian Clarkin, Tito Polo, and Tyler Clippard. Frazier is the regular third baseman and Chase Headley has moved to first.
- Rob Refsnyder and Ji-Man Choi were designated for assignment to clear 40-man roster space after the trade, and Chasen Shreve was sent down. Refsnyder was traded to the Blue Jays for Ryan McBroom while Choi cleared waivers and will remain in the organization.
- Even after the trade with the White Sox, the Yankees are still looking for a starting pitcher and a first baseman. They’ve spoken to the Athletics about Sonny Gray and Yonder Alonso, and the Mets about Lucas Duda.
- Domingo German, Tyler Wade, Bryan Mitchell, and Caleb Smith and were shuttled in and out throughout the week. Branden Pinder was released.
Please take a second to answer the poll below and give us an idea of how confident you are in the team. You can view the interactive Fan Confidence Graph anytime via the Features tab in the nav bar above, or by clicking here. Thanks in advance for voting.