Record Last Week: 1-6 (23 RS, 47 RA)
Season Record: 87-75 (764 RS, 698 RA, 88-74 pythag. record) won first wildcard spot
Opponents This Week: Mon. OFF, vs. Astros (Tuesday in wildcard game)
Top stories from last week:
- The week started with four games against the Red Sox. Ivan Nova got roughed up in Monday’s 5-1 loss, Michael Pineda did the same in Tuesday’s 10-4 loss, and the bullpen blew it in Wednesday’s 9-5 loss. The Yankees won the finale 4-1 to officially clinch a wildcard spot.
- The Yankees traveled to Baltimore for the final series of the season, but the opener was rained out. They lost 9-2 in the opener and then 4-3 in the nightcap in Saturday’s doubleheader. Despite yesterday’s 9-4 loss, the Yankees clinched home field advantage in the wildcard game because the Astros lost.
- Injury Updates: Nathan Eovaldi (elbow) threw a bullpen session Friday and is scheduled to throw another one today. He could return for the ALDS should the Yankees advance. Stephen Drew (concussion) is likely done for the season. Both Jacoby Ellsbury and Chase Headley missed a game with back soreness but have since returned to the lineup.
- Jorge Mateo and Tyler Wade were among the top 20 prospects in their minor leagues according to Baseball America. James Kaprielian and Jeff Degano were among the best prospects who didn’t play enough to qualify for a top 20 list.
- The Angels are expected to name Yankees assistant GM Billy Eppler their new GM today. He also interviewed for the Mariners GM job.
- Masahiro Tanaka will start the wildcard game. John Ryan Murphy has spent time working out at first base.
Please take a second to answer the poll below and give us an idea of how confident you are in the team. You can view the interactive Fan Confidence Graph anytime via the Features tab in the nav bar above, or by clicking here. Thanks in advance for voting.
Given the team's current roster construction, farm system, management, etc., how confident are you in the Yankees' overall future?