Record Last Week: 1-6 (30 RS, 37 RA)
Season Record: 38-29 (383 RS, 275 RA, 43-24 pythag. record)
Opponents This Week: Mon. OFF, vs. Angels (three games, Tues. to Thurs.), vs. Rangers (Fri. to Sun.)
Top stories from last week:
- The West Coast trip from hell started Monday in Anaheim. The Yankees did win the series opener 5-3 thanks to Aaron Judge‘s late home run. They lost 3-2 Tuesday in extra innings, then wasted opportunities in Wednesday’s 7-5 loss.
- The Yankees went to Oakland next, and they blew an extra innings lead in Thursday’s 8-7 loss. Another late lead was blown in Friday’s 7-6 loss. Masahiro Tanaka was hit hard again in Saturday’s 5-2 loss. Sunday’s 4-3 loss completed the disaster road trip.
- Injury Updates: CC Sabathia (hamstring) landed on the disabled list with a Grade II strain. Greg Bird (ankle) had his rehab stint halted because he still doesn’t feel right. Gary Sanchez (abductor) missed two games but has since returned to the lineup. Aaron Hicks (Achilles) is day-to-day. Adam Warren (shoulder) was placed on the disabled list with inflammation. Gleyber Torres (elbow) will have more tests today after a hyper-extension.
- Ronald Herrera, Domingo German, Ben Heller, and Luis Cessa were all involved in shuttle moves throughout the week. Tommy Layne accepted his outright assignment and joined Triple-A Scranton. Jon Niese has been released from his minor league deal. The Yankees acquired Matt Frawley from the Pirates to complete the Johnny Barbato trade.
- The Yankees selected South Carolina RHP Clarke Schmidt with their first round pick. Here are my Day One, Day Two, and Day Three draft recaps. Their third (Arkansas RHP Trevor Stephan) and fifth (Rice RHP Glenn Otto) round picks have already signed.
- Aaron Judge has not yet been invited to the Home Run Derby even though he is the leading vote-getter among AL players for the All-Star Game. The Yankees want Sanchez to shed some bulk to improve his blocking.
Please take a second to answer the poll below and give us an idea of how confident you are in the team. You can view the interactive Fan Confidence Graph anytime via the Features pull-down menu in the nav bar above, or by clicking here. Thanks in advance for voting.