Record Last Week: 4-2 (32 RS, 22 RA)
Season Record: 76-59 (659 RS, 572 RA, 77-58 pythag. record) 1.5 GB in ALE, 6.5 games up on WC spot
Opponents This Week: vs. Orioles (three games, Mon. to Weds.), vs. Blue Jays (four games, Thurs. to Sun.)
Top stories from last week:
- The Yankees opened the week in Boston with a three-game series against the Red Sox. They blew several bases loaded opportunities in Monday’s 4-3 loss, but Stephen Drew came up with a clutch hit in Tuesday’s 3-1 win. The Yankees hung on for a 13-8 win in the series finale.
- Following Thursday’s off-day, the Rays came to the Bronx for three games. The Yankees won the opener 5-2 behind a bunch of homers, but dropped the middle game 3-2. They rallied from behind for yesterday’s 6-4 win.
- Injury Updates: Mark Teixeira (leg) was placed on the DL because his bone bruise continues to linger. CC Sabathia (knee) threw a simulated game and is tentatively scheduled to come off the DL on Wednesday. Ian Clarkin (elbow) has faced hitters in live batting practice. Eric Jagielo (knee), Gary Sanchez (hamstring), Jacob Lindgren (elbow), and Tyler Webb (hand) are all rehabbing.
- The Yankees called up seven players when rosters expanded Tuesday: Andrew Bailey, Rob Refsnyder, Jose Pirela, Rico Noel, Austin Romine, Caleb Cotham, and James Pazos. Dustin Ackley was also activated off the DL. Nick Rumbelow and Nick Goody were called up later in the week. Tyler Austin and Cole Figueroa were designated for assignment to clear roster space.
- The Yankees claimed David Robertson off trade waivers from the White Sox, but Chicago pulled him back. New York was blocked in their other attempts to add pitching in August. They are not trying to add first base help this month.
- Tyler Wade, Dustin Fowler, Chaz Hebert, Sanchez, Jagielo, and Webb are heading to the Arizona Fall League. The Yankees signed at least 18 international free agents this summer, most notably right-hander Luis Medina.
Please take a second to answer the poll below and give us an idea of how confident you are in the team. You can view the interactive Fan Confidence Graph anytime via the Features tab in the nav bar above, or by clicking here. Thanks in advance for voting.
Given the team's current roster construction, farm system, management, etc., how confident are you in the Yankees' overall future?