Some quick notes to get us started:
- 3B Brandon Drury spoke to Mark Sanchez about his stint in Triple-A. “I wasn’t happy about (being sent down). Doing what I can right now so when I go back up I’m a better player. But this is going to make me better. Just gotta keep doing what I can do right now, be back up soon,” he said. Not sure what else he’s supposed to say in his situation.
- Kiley McDaniel and Eric Longenhagen released an updated top 131 prospects list. Four Yankees made it: LHP Justus Sheffield (No. 30), RHP Albert Abreu (No. 50), OF Estevan Florial (No. 85), and RHP Luis Medina (No. 127). Both 2B Gleyber Torres and 3B Miguel Andujar have exceeded the 130 at-bat rookie limit and are no longer considered prospects.
- The Yankees have released nine low level minor leaguers, reports Matt Eddy: OF Jonathan Amundaray, 2B Yeison Corredera, 3B Nate Coronado, C Samuel De La Cruz, C Malvin Del Orbe, C Roberto Espinosa, OF Victor Hernandez, OF Jhon Moronta, and C Eduardo Rodriguez. Amundaray is the most notable prospect of the bunch. He signed for $1.5M during the 2014-15 international spending spree.
- In their 2018 draft recaps, Keith Law (subs. req’d) said C Anthony Seigler “projects as an everyday catcher with All-Star upside,” while Baseball America (subs. req’d) notes RHP Rodney Hutchison “saw his stuff tick up late in the season … If he improves his command he has interesting upside.”
- If you’re still in draft mode after last week, both MLB.com and Baseball America (subs. req’d) put together super early 2019 mock drafts. Texas HS SS Bobby Witt Jr. is the top prospect in the draft class at the moment.
Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders (10-3 win over Rochester)
- LF Clint Frazier: 2-4, 1 R, 1 2B, 1 RBI — 20-for-58 (.345) with seven doubles, one triple, and one homer in his last 14 games now
- CF Tyler Wade: 2-4, 3 R, 1 2B, 1 RBI, 1 SB — 12-for-32 (.375) with four doubles and a homer in his last seven games
- 3B Brandon Drury: 1-4, 2 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 1 SB
- 1B Ryan McBroom: 3-4, 2 R, 1 HR, 5 RBI — three homers in his last five games
- RF Billy McKinney: 1-4, 1 R, 1 HR, 1 BI — sixth homer of the season and his sixth homer in his last 12 games
- SS Abi Avelino: 1-4, 1 R, 1 RBI, 2 K — he was moved back up here when Ronald Torreyes was recalled
- RHP David Hale: 5 IP, 4 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 4 K, 1 HR, 1 WP, 8/2 GB/FB — 62 of 96 pitches were strikes (65%) … starting tonight presumably takes him out of the running for Friday’s start, which is when the Yankees say they’ll first use Masahiro Tanaka’s replacement
- RHP Tommy Kahnle: 1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 3 K — 12 of 15 pitches were strikes … he was reportedly up to 97 mph on the stadium gun, for what it’s worth