Two quick notes to pass along:
- The Yankees have released RHP Paddy O’Brien, according to Matt Eddy. The system just took a big hit in the prospect name rankings. O’Brien, 24, was New York’s 24th round pick in the 2015 draft. He was a catcher at UC Santana Barbara and the Yankees put him on the mound. O’Brien struck out 27 batters in 21 pro innings, all in rookie ball, but he also walked 13 and allowed 18 runs.
- LHP Justus Sheffield was included in today’s Notes from the Field feature at Baseball Prospectus. Best of all, his write-up is above the paywall, so you can read the entire thing for free. “Sheffield showed the potential for a future plus fastball with two average grade secondaries,” said the write-up, which was based on Sunday’s start.
Triple-A Scranton (6-2 loss to Louisville)
- SS Tyler Wade: 1-5, 1 CS, 1 E (fielding) — still hasn’t played a game in the outfield, though I imagine that’ll happen soon … I’m guessing the Yankees wanted to make sure he was ready to go at shortstop in case Ronald Torreyes didn’t cut it
- LF Clint Frazier: 2-5, 1 2B — five of his last eight hits have gone for extra bases (three doubles, two homers)
- CF Dustin Fowler: 0-4, 1 BB, 1 K
- 1B Ji-Man Choi: 1-3, 2 R, 1 HR, 1 RBI, 1 BB, 1 SB, 1 E (fielding) — still crushing the ball
- 2B Rob Refsnyder: 1-4, 1 K
- RF Mason Williams: 2-3, 1 2B, 1 BB — now 9-for-50 (.180) on the season
- LHP Caleb Smith: 5.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 K, 4/9 GB/FB — 50 of 78 pitches were strikes (64%) … he’s done a very nice job filling in since the LHP Dietrich Enns injury
- RHP Ben Heller: 1 IP, 3 H, 5 R, 4 ER, 2 BB, 2 K, 3 WP, 1/0 GB/FB — 21 of 32 pitches were strikes (66%), though one of the walks was intentional … I suppose that doesn’t count against the pitch count anymore since intentional walks are automatic, right?