In case you missed it earlier, the Yankees have acquired Jaime Garcia from the Twins for RHP Zack Littell and LHP Dietrich Enns. With Littell traded, sleeper RHP Cody Carroll has jumped into MLB.com’s top 30 Yankees prospects. Carroll has a 2.24 ERA (3.09 FIP) with 31.6% strikeouts and 10.2% walks in 52.1 relief innings with High-A Tampa and Double-A Trenton this year. He’s one of those random college arms the Yankees grab in the late rounds of the draft and then bam, a year later he’s throwing 96-97 with a nasty slider.
Triple-A Scranton (3-2 win over Charlotte)
- CF Jake Cave: 2-4, 1 R, 1 3B, 1 K, 1 CS — 28-for-61 (.459) with three doubles, one triple, and five homers during his 16-game hitting streak
- RF Billy McKinney: 1-4, 1 2B, 1 K, 1 E (fielding) — remember how much he struggled earlier this year? he’s up to .279/.354/.500
- 2B Cito Culver: 2-4, 1 R, 1 HR, 2 RBI — that’s his career high tenth homer … he took White Sox RHP Lucas Giolito deep
- LHP Nestor Cortes: 4.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 7 K, 2/2 GB/FB — 41 of 65 pitches were strikes (63%) … pretty excellent spot start … he started today in place of Enns, and I imagine LHP Caleb Smith will take over this rotation spot next time around
- RHP Gio Gallegos: 1 IP, zeroes, 3 K — threw an Immaculate Inning (nine pitches, nine strikes, three strikeouts) … 58/9 K/BB in 32.2 innings down here