Update (6:31pm): Via Joel Sherman, the Yankees have recommended surgery and Alex is leaning that way, though the second opinion is still to come.
Update (4:57pm): Via Marc Carig, A-Rod will go for a second opinion tomorrow before deciding on surgery.
Original Post (1019am): Via Danny Knobler and Joel Sherman, Alex Rodriguez has a slight meniscus tear in his right knee. There are two courses of action: play through it and have surgery at the end of the year, or have surgery now. Joe Girardi said that no decision has been made yet, but it’s up to A-Rod. CC Sabathia pitched through the same injury last year and had offseason surgery, but he only played once every five days. In-season surgery would keep Alex on the shelf for a month or so.
No one asked me, but if I’m A-Rod, I’d have the surgery now and get healthy for the stretch run and playoffs. I think two-plus months of him at 100% is better than three months of him at what, 50%? 75%? Who knows, but less than 100%.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.