Record Last Week: 4-3 (45 RS, 40 RA)
Season Record: 67-47 (566 RS, 469 RA, 68-46 pythag. record), 5.0 games up in AL East
Opponents This Week: vs. Rangers (four games, Mon. to Thurs.), vs. Red Sox (three games, Fri. to Sun.)
Top stories from last week:
- The Yankees opened the week with four games in Detroit, and Ivan Nova got rocked in Monday’s loss. A comeback fell short in the second game, but the Yankees won a back-and-forth affair the next day. Mark Teixeira and Eric Chavez hit late back-to-back homers to give New York the split on Thursday, and Joe Girardi was not suspended following a tirade in that game.
- The weekend series took the Yankees to Toronto, where they blew out the Blue Jays in Friday’s series opener. Nova rebounded in Saturday’s win, but Phil Hughes got rocked yesterday as they failed to complete the sweep.
- Injury News: CC Sabathia (elbow) was placed on the DL with stiffness. Alex Rodriguez (hand) took 25-30 swings off a tee and soft toss as he works his way back. Andy Pettitte’s (leg) setback two weeks ago will cost him about 7-10 days. Pedro Feliciano (shoulder) made his first minor league rehab appearance. Chavez (back) was unavailable this weekend but should be return to the lineup tonight. Austin Romine (back) missed a game with some stiffness but has since returned to the Triple-A lineup. David Aardsma (elbow) insists he will return this year but the team seems to disagree. Top pitching prospect Manny Banuelos (elbow) has been shut down for the rest of the season.
- The Yankees signed Derek Lowe following Sabathia’s injury, but he’ll work out of the bullpen. David Phelps will step into the rotation for the time being.
- Robinson Cano, Tyler Austin, Gary Sanchez, and others earned spots in Baseball America’s Best Tools survey. Russell Branyan was released from Triple-A Empire State.
- The 2012 playoff schedule was announced, and it appears as though the team with the best record in each league gets saddled with the least favorable LDS schedule.
Please take a second to answer the poll below and give us an idea of how confident you are in the team. You can view the interactive Fan Confidence Graph anytime via the nav bar above, or by clicking here. Thanks in advance for voting.