Sonny Gray got the start and allowed three runs (two earned) in three innings. He struck out four and gave up a two-run homer to Francisco Cervelli. During an in-game interview he said he’s still trying to find his fastball command. Tommy Kahnle retired all four men he faced and Dellin Betances struck out three in his inning, but also allowed a two-run homer. Twelve strikeouts for the pitching staff today. The offense drew nine walks. Here are the box score and video highlights, and here are the rest of the day’s notes from Tampa:
- Miguel Andujar played first base, a position he’s never played in his career, during a minor league game yesterday. He also took grounders at second base during batting practice today, though I wouldn’t read much into that. Players take grounders at different positions all the time. Playing first in a game is much more notable. [Ken Davidoff, Dan Martin, DJ Eberle]
- There’s still no timetable for Jacoby Ellsbury (oblique) to get into a game, but he says he feels “good.” Clint Frazier (concussion) is feeling better and saw the neurologist again today. There is no firm timetable for him to resume activities yet. [Davidoff, Martin, Bryan Hoch]
- Chance Adams was sent to minor league camp before today’s game, the Yankees announced. Not a great Grapefruit League showing for him (4.2 IP, 9 H, 6 R, 6 ER, 3 BB, 1 K). There are still 45 players in big league camp, by my unofficial count.
- The Yankees are back at it tomorrow night with a home game against the Astros. That game will not be televised. Jordan Montgomery is the scheduled starter. Aaron Boone said during the in-game interview today that Neil Walker will play first base tomorrow night, in his spring debut.
- And finally, Brian Cashman called Judge at MLB’s behest yesterday regarding the Manny Machado incident. Judge said they talked for maybe 30 seconds. “Now I know,” he said. [Hoch]
Here is the nightly open thread. If you’re interested, today’s game will be replayed on YES (7pm ET) and MLB Network (6am ET). The Knicks and Islanders are playing, plus you have all the March Madness action as well. Talk about those games or anything else here, as long as it it’s religion or politics.