- In case you missed it earlier, the Yankees locked up Luis Severino to a four-year deal prior to today’s scheduled arbitration hearing. “He’s a great pitcher and I hope he’s here for a long time. Hope we can get him out (there) tomorrow. Missed seeing him on the field today,” said Aaron Boone. He can’t say much more than that because the contract is not official yet. [Coley Harvey]
- Danny Farquhar threw his first bullpen session of the spring today (video). He’s coming back from a life-threatening brain hemorrhage. “I remember being in the ICU and wondering when stretch was,” he said. Farquhar will have a protective liner in his cap when on the mound. The Yankees had it custom made to his neurologist’s specifications after signing him. [Lindsey Adler]
- Other notable bullpens today: Chad Green, J.A. Happ, Adam Ottavino, James Paxton, and Masahiro Tanaka. Here’s video of Paxton. Note the camera set up behind him and the analytics folks pulling data. The new guys, Paxton and Ottavino, threw to Gary Sanchez. [Brendan Kuty]
- Domingo Acevedo, Drew Hutchison, and Trevor Stephen threw live batting practice today. As far as I know they’re the first pitchers to throw to hitters this spring. That’s usually a pretty good indication they’ll appear in the first Grapefruit League games next weekend. [Brendan Kuty]
- And finally, Dellin Betances is expected to report to camp Monday. His wife gave birth to their first child, Dellin Jr., on Wednesday and he’s still home with his family. [Bryan Hoch]
Position players report Monday and the first Grapefruit League game is one week from tomorrow. Only one more week until real live baseball returns.