The minor league regular season is winding down, so here’s another standings update. Before we get to that, here are some notes, including updates on the Yankees’ last two first round picks:
- Aaron Boone said yesterday that C Gary Sanchez will begin his minor league rehab assignment either today or tomorrow, and it looks like it’ll be tomorrow. Gary didn’t play today. He did post some workout videos on social media though. Sanchez is expected to play a few GCL games and a “week’s worth” of games in Triple-A. Seems like he’s lined up to return September 1st.
- RHP Clarke Schmidt is done for the reason, reports Robert Pimpsner. He doesn’t have an arm injury. The Yankees are just bringing him back to Tampa. I imagine Schmidt will participate in Instructional League next month. Last year’s first round pick pitched to a 3.09 ERA (2.62 FIP) with 33.0% strikeouts and 6.6% walks in 23.1 innings back from Tommy John surgery.
- C Anthony Seigler is done for the season with a concussion, reports Keith Law (subs. req’d). He took a foul tip to the face mask last week. Seigler, this year’s first round pick, hit .266/.379/.342 (108 wRC+) with more walks (14.7%) than strikeouts (12.6%) in 24 games in his pro debut. Pulaski’s season ends in less than a week. There’s no reason to rush the kid back.
- In that same link, Law says RHP Luis Medina was 94-99 mph with his fastball last night, and added “his 80-83 curveball has real promise with tight spin and a lot of power to it.” “Medina looks athletic and his arm is loose … but he has to figure out how to throw his fastball for strikes before he’ll have any major league role,” says the write-up.
Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders (7-3 win over Buffalo) at 66-61, they are ten games back in the division and one game back of the wild card spot … their regular season ends Monday, September 3rd
- SS Tyler Wade: 1-5, 1 K
- 2B Abi Avelino: 0-2, 1 K — left the game in the fourth for an unknown reason
- RF Ryan McBroom: 2-5, 1 R, 1 2B, 1 K — 16-for-38 (.421) in his last nine games, though there’s a week-long disabled list stint mixed in there
- 1B Mike Ford: 3-4, 1 R, 2 RBI — had been in a 3-for-26 (.115) skid
- DH Go Urshela: 0-4
- RHP Adonis Rosa: 6.1 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 3 BB, 2 K, 9/5 GB/FB — 60 of 100 pitches were strikes … with LHP Justus Sheffield in the bullpen, Rosa stays up here to fill the rotation spot