2014 Record: 84-78 (633 RS, 664 RA, 77-85 pythag. record), did not qualify for postseason
Top stories from last week:
- The Yankees made their first move of the offseason over the weekend. The team re-signed outfielder Chris Young to a one-year contract worth $2.5M to be their fourth outfielder. He deal can be worth up to $6.325M with incentives. The Yankees also re-signed Andrew Bailey to a new minor league deal.
- David Robertson was given a qualifying offer but Hiroki Kuroda was not. The Yankees say they “have no plans to pursue” big name free agents like Jon Lester, Max Scherzer, Hanley Ramirez, and Pablo Sandoval. They are instead focused on re-signing Chase Headley and Brandon McCarthy.
- Injury Updates: Brett Gardner (abdomen) had core muscle surgery in October. He is expected to be back to 100% this month. Tyler Austin had to be carted off the field after crashing into a wall during Arizona Fall League play.
- The Yankees are one of several teams with interest in White Sox shortstop Alexei Ramirez. They are targeting McCarthy, Chris Capuano, and Jason Hammel for rotation help and will attend Cuban infielder Yoan Moncada’s workout.
- Outfielder Antoan Richardson was outrighted off the 40-man roster. Pat Venditte, Jeremy Bleich, Nik Turley, Scott Sizemore, Carmen Angelini, and Zoilo Almonte were among the 13 players to become minor league free agents.
- Dellin Betances is one of three finalists for the AL Rookie of the Year award. No other Yankees are among the awards finalists.
- Alex Rodriguez admitted to purchasing and using performance-enhancing drugs to the DEA during a January meeting in exchange for immunity.
- Raul Ibanez has some interest in the team’s hitting coach job.
Please take a second to answer the poll below and give us an idea of how confident you are in the team. You can view the interactive Fan Confidence Graph anytime via the nav bar above, or by clicking here. Thanks in advance for voting.