Meanwhile, in Clearwater, the other half of the Yankees beat the Phillies 7-1 in four innings. Masahiro Tanaka allowed one run on seven hits and a walk in his four innings, striking out five. Dustin Ackley (three-run) and Miguel Andujar (two-run) both cracked homers. Aaron Hicks and Brian McCann also had base hits. Here’s the box score and video highlights for that game. Hard to top two wins in nine innings, eh? Here’s the rest of the day’s news from Tampa:
- Joe Girardi said he felt today was Sabathia’s best outing of the spring, but he stopped short of naming him the fifth starter, citing the fact there are still five exhibition games to play. “I hope we have them all by Thursday,” said the manager, referring to decisions about the open roster spots. [Erik Boland, Chad Jennings]
- The rotation for the rest of camp: Ivan Nova (Wednesday), Michael Pineda and Chad Green (split squad games Thursday, both on TV), Nathan Eovaldi (Friday), and Luis Severino (Saturday). Looks to me the regular season rotation with be Tanaka/Pineda/Eovaldi/Severino/Sabathia in that order, though Sabathia could start the third or fourth game instead. [Bryan Hoch]
- Following last night’s game the Yankees reassigned Diego Moreno to minor league camp. They’re down to 37 players in big league camp, though it’s really 34 because Greg Bird (shoulder), Mason Williams (shoulder), and Aroldis Chapman (suspension) aren’t Opening Day roster candidates.
- In case you missed it earlier, Bryan Mitchell has been told he will be on the Opening Day roster. He’s scheduled to pitch on three day’s rest tomorrow, so it seems like the team is preparing him for a relief role. (Duh.) [Jennings]
- Today is Carlos Corporan opt-out date, but there’s no word on whether he is actually opting out. I guess that means he’s sticking around? /shrugs
This is tonight’s open thread. This afternoon’s home game will be replayed on YES following the Nets game, so figure it will start somewhere around 10-10:30pm ET. The road game won’t be replayed anywhere. MLB Network will show the Giants and Royals live a little later, then a bunch of other games on tape delay throughout the night. The Islanders, Devils, and Nets are all playing as well talk. You folks know what to do here, so have it.