Very sad news to pass along: IF Sandy Acevedo was killed in a car accident in the Dominican Republic last night, the Yankees announced. He was only 18. The Yankees signed him as an international free agent last year. Our condolences go out to Acevedo’s family and friends.
Here’s some minor league news and notes I have lying around from the weekend:
- LHP Jacob Lindgren has been placed on the High-A DL with an elbow injury, reports Dan Martin. No word on the nature of the injury. He had surgery to remove a bone spur from his elbow in the middle of last season. The injury could (and hopefully does) explain Lindgren’s bouts of extreme wildness this year.
- RHP James Kaprielian was No. 8 on this week’s Prospect Hot Sheet. Erik Boland spoke to a scout recently who said Kaprielian has been “consistently” hitting 99 mph this year. That seems too good to be true. Clearly Kaprielian’s velocity is up since the draft, but now he’s regularly pumping 99? Sounds a little fishy.
- The new site 20-80 Baseball has a pair of firsthand scouting reports on OF Ben Gamel and OF Aaron Judge from a recent Triple-A Scranton series. “All in all, he appears to be a guy with potential five average tools across the board that can do a little bit of everything; despite no plus tool,” said the report on Gamel.
Triple-A Scranton (7-4 loss to Syracuse)
- 2B Donovan Solano: 2-4, 1 2B, 2 RBI, 1 K
- RF Aaron Judge: 0-4
- DH Nick Swisher: 3-4, 1 R — if he were with any other team, I’m pretty sure no one would be clamoring to call him up because of two good weeks in Triple-A after two awful years in MLB
- C Gary Sanchez & 3B Rob Refsnyder: both 0-3, 1 BB — Refsnyder committed a throwing error
- CF Lane Adams: 3-4, 1 R, 1 2B, 1 RBI
- RHP Tyler Cloyd: 4 IP, 5 H, 6 R, 2 ER, 4 BB, 5 K, 2/7 GB/FB — 51 of 92 pitches were strikes (55.4%)
- LHP Richard Bleier: 4 IP, 6 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 2 K, 7/1 GB/FB — 39 of 64 pitches were strikes (61%) … started the season on the DL, then was miraculously stretched out and ready to go (despite zero rehab outings) when the RailRiders needed an arm … smells like a phantom DL stint to me