Oct

Rudy Giuliani is dead to me

Remember those Octobers back in 1996, 1998, 1999, and 200, when Rudy Giuliani, then mayor of New York, could be found at every Yankees World Series game? Despite presiding over a city that houses two baseball teams, Rudy wore his colors proudly. Now, though, he’s committed what amounts to treason. Yes, Rudy Giuliani is rooting for the Red Sox in the World Series.

So why would Rudy break allegiances like this?

“I’m an American League fan, and I go with the American League team, maybe with the exception of the Mets,” he said. “Maybe that would be the one time I wouldn’t because I’m loyal to New York.”

That’s a piss-poor excuse to root for the hated Red Sox. Is there any team in baseball that would make you root for the Sawks? Not me. Not any Yankees fans I know. I’d even root for the Mets if the Series came down to those two teams.

In the grand scheme of things, it means nothing. Who is Giuliani, anyway? My answer: a braying ass, just like the rest of his political brethren. I don’t care necessarily that he’s rooting for the Sawks. He’s clearly not the type of person I’d ever willingly associate with, so he can root for whoever he wants for all I care.

My concern is for how he’s presented himself as this loyal Yankees fan, and then goes and does what no self-respecting Yankees fan would ever do.

So next season, when Rudy’s countenance appears on the scoreboard and he proclaims, “Here’s what I got to say. Let’s go Yankees!” give him the middle finger. He clearly doesn’t mean it.

Categories : News

1. Ron says:

Really. I know of no self-respecting Yankee fan who would root for the Sux under ANY circumstances. I’d root for the Taliban if they were playing the Sux.

• Jamal G. says:

LMAO

Hey, if Giuliana (…yes the typo was on purpose) wants to root for a team who grabs each other’s crotch and skips down the 1B line, more power to him.

• Rudy Hateration says:

Hmph! I wasn’t going to vote for the dude in the first place — especially since he’s essentially running for “President of 9-11″ — but now this takes the cake! I hope he gets run over by a out of control Blue-and-White van! Grrrrr!

2. Jersey says:

A flip-flopper rooting for the Red Sox. I feel like I’ve heard this before…

• steve (different one) says:

at least Kerry was always a Sox fan. this is pretty ridiculous, but fairly transparent: the New Hampshire primary is important. the Colorado primary? exactly.

3. Marsha says:

Are you really surprised? This is the same guy who was pro abortion, pro gun control, pro gay rights, etc. when he was the mayor. Have you taken a look at his current political platforms now that he’s running for President?

4. yankz says:

How could you NOT root for the Yankees, unless you were from Boston?

5. Rich says:

He’s swapped teams before (Democrat for Republican)

6. Gibb says:

deuche bag just lost my vote. seriously.

7. Marc says:

I think that maybe Rudy wants some more Boston votes.

8. PJ says:

I don’t see the big deal. Perhaps you’re letting your personal politics cloud your judgement? I hate the red sox as much as the next guy, and was really hoping they’d lose to the indians. But i hate the national league too (and older people seem to view american vs national as more of a rivalry than younger generation). And franky, since the sox have already broken the curse, it wouldn’t really bother me.

• Ben K. says:

The Red Sox are the devil to the Yankees angels. No matter the circumstances you never, ever root for your archenemy. Do Rangers fans ever root for the Devils? Do Army fans ever root for Navy? Do Giants fans ever pull for the Eagles? No, no, and no. It’s that simple.

9. Yankee Fan in Chicago says:

I rooted for the Sawx in 86, but that was different. That Mets team was so obnoxious and their fans then were nearly as bad as Sawx fans are now.

Today? There’s no way I’d root for the Sawx.

10. Giuseppe Franco says:

I get the feeling that Joseph wouldn’t have voted for Giuliani regardless of his take on the World Series.

• Joseph P. says:

I get the feeling that you, sir, do own part of the company.

And tell Busey that his hair looks like shit.

• Giuseppe Franco says:

Am I wrong?

Actually, you’re wrong.

I don’t like Giuliani any more than you do but I tend to call a spade a spade when I see one.

It’s never a good idea to blend politics with sports.

• Joseph P. says:

Whoa, hoa hoa, there. I was just making a reference to the commercials featuring your namesake.

Notice not a word of politics was brought into this. You’re the only one who brought up any implications.

11. Nick says:

Is it possible that Joe Torre is laughing at all of us? He wins the PR battle!

12. Travis G. says:

among the older generation fans, this view doesn’t seem that strange to me now. my father in law is a huge Yankee fan but once they’re eliminated from the playoffs, he roots for the sawx! i was dumbstruck when i first heard this. he says he grew up as an AL fan – and if anything feels more of a rivalry with Baltimore than Boston! that’s how it was when he grew up in the 60s. also, he said friends of his that are Boston fans his age (late 50s, early 60s) root for the Yanks when the Sawx get eliminated. back then, it was all about AL vs. NL.

now whether Rudy is saying this bc he’s always felt this way or just wants to get new england votes is something i cant answer.

13. Travis says:

I can’t imagine a New York Yankees fan ever rooting for Boston in the World Series. Even against the Mets.

14. eddie s. says:

rudys a phony-he lost my vote-which may have been his only vote in rhode island

15. Jim Johnson says:

Frankly, I don’t have a problem with this.

The Rockies are what, 14 years old? They’re barely a real team in my eyes. Its nice to have seen them go on a great big hot streak, play the little engine that could, be the scrappy underdogs, whatever. But when it comes to winning championships, I like seeing them go to real teams. The Yanks, the Sox, the Cubs, Pirates, Dodgers, Giants, etc. The storied franchises with all their history behind them… they’re the ‘real’ teams to me. If I can remember a period during my lifetime when a club didn’t exist, I’m never going to hold it in the same regard as those teams which have been around for 100+ years.

Just like in hockey… I won’t root for a hockey team from the south. That’s just stupid.

Even though they’re our mortal enemies, I have a respect for the Boston Red Sox franchise that I don’t have for the Colorado Rockies. Remember the Goonies? “Nobody hits my little brother… except ME!”… that kind of thing. The only thing that really stops me from rooting for them is that I hate a few of their players. But otherwise, I don’t have a problem with a New York fan pulling for them in this situation.

• Ben K. says:

You do know that two teams that you would consider to be “barely real teams” have already beaten the Yankees in the World Series this decade, right?

How exactly does a 14-year existence make the Rockies a fake team?

• Jim Johnson says:

Yes Ben, I do. What does that have to do with anything? It made it more painful for me that we lost to teams that I hold in such low regard, yes. Newer teams just don’t have the same feel as the originals.

16. Pete says:

He lost my vote, and yes, I’m from New York and yes, I was casually supporting Rudy, because I liked Rudy and I don’t like anybody else running for Prez.

I just think its obnoxious that he railed on Hillary for rooting for the Cubs and the Yanks, but now, conveniently joins Red Sox Nation to appease a few chowderheads at a conference.

Dishonest crap like that REALLY p-sses me off. Him railing on Hillary made sense, because she was a fence-sitter and he was Mr. Yankee himself. Now what is he???

Rudy should’ve said “I’m from New York and I’m a Yankee fan, it is what it is and I’m sure you Boston idiots will understand”, instead we hear “Vote for me, I’m a Red Sox fan now”.

17. Jeff says:

Rudy’s a scumbag who hung all the 9/11 first responders and firefighters out to dry. I have no respect for that man. This does not surprise me.

Vote Ron Paul!

18. If there is any one NY fan who should not be allowed to root for the Red Sox, it is Rudy Giuliani. After what he meant to the city and country after 9/11, he was forever known as the Yankees biggest fan. This is very disappointing.

19. Josh K says:

Rudy… you are a friggin’ Judy. Damn man!! You can’t root for the BloSox! You suck major wang in my book.

Come on Rockies!! Kick some ass!

20. Joseph M says:

The Yankees are an American League team, when they play in the All Star game who are their teamates (Boston). The Red Sox thing is over (2004) as far as the curse is concerned and we won. We got Babe Ruth, we have the 26 World Championships (what do they have 4 or 5). We have 1978, 2003, 1949, 1977.

I understand the jealous Red Sox fan, the petty Red Sox fan we have left them in the dust so many times it isn’t funny. They have 2004 but ultimately the Yankees will prevail. With a budding staff of young pitching stars, a new manager with fire in his belly you know the Yankees will be back again and Red Sox run will be little more than a bad memory.

So like a good Democrat or a good Republican we fight it out among ourselves (American League) and then we get behind the winner for one week in October. Next year back to the battle and this time the Yanks will be back on top.

My pick Boston in 6 (actually I think there is a potential here for another Red Sox sweep). Here is the play Boston takes the first two games lose games three and four, win games five and six.

21. pete says:

If I was a red sox fan i would have to ask myself “what kind of self respecting guy bags his own people? I m not voting for this con. So nice job Rudy this move could have cost you the white house. You obviously dont understand loyalty,why should we be loyal to you

22. It'sMeSNITCHES!!! says:

Guliani is a phony, what did you expect?

23. [...] Giuliani’s attempting to mix baseball and politics, he had managed to alienate Yankee fans by declaring his support for the Red Sox in the World Series. With the importance of New Hampshire in the presidential nomination cycle, Rudy needed to appeal [...]