May

Game 53: Avoiding a sweep

A list of my least favorite teams in the majors:

1. Red Sox
2. Mets
3. Orioles

That we’re losing a ton of games to these teams this season is not pleasing. Not one bit. So it would help my irritability level if we could win just one damn game in this series. This way, I won’t have to apologize for being in a cranky mood tomorrow morning.

Good news, if you want to take it that way: IPK’s strain is very mild (and coupled with bursitis). He could be back in 15 days. We’ll see how the pitching landscape looks at that point. I’m not nearly as hard on him as you guys are, clearly. He threw 2/3 of his pitches for strikes last night, and really only made two mistakes. Granted, they were big mistakes, and ones that a major league pitcher simply should not make. My issue, though, is that he can more easily get away with those mistakes at AAA. So what will he learn down there?

(Which is why this is such a touch issue, because you don’t want him hurting the major league team. But he’s got to take his lumps. But there has been noticeable improvement in each of his last three starts. At some point, he’s got to tie it all together, right?)

Joba goes for 50 to 55 pitches tonight. With Kennedy out, and recent rumors abound, signs point to him starting on Monday or Tuesday. With the off-day tomorrow, they could just skip the fifth slot and go Moose Friday, Wang Saturday (though the official site has it at TBA), Ras Sunday, and back to Pettitte on Monday. I would think Joba would go Tuesday, possibly with Steven White called up as a long man — I think/hope Ohlendorf is done in that capacity.

For now, Chris Britton is up. And Mo called a meeting with the relievers, on account of them sucking the past few days.

Your lineup (finally):

1. Johnny Damon, LF
2. Derek Jeter, SS
3. Bobby Abreu, RF
4. Alex Rodriguez, 3B
5. Hideki Matsui, DH
6. Jason Giambi, 1B
7. Robinson Cano, 2B
8. Chad Moeller, C
9. Melky Cabrera, CF

And on the mound, number forty-six, Andy Pettitte

Categories : Game Threads

1. mustang says:

Please if there is a God don’t let Michael Kay repeat the ” How they asked Joba if he wanted to be a starter” story again.
    I just can’t take again.

2. Jake H says:

Is anyone else tired of seeing Jeter swing at the first pitch?

3. JT says:

Im fine with taking lumps, but the way kennedy has been pitching, its more like getting knocked out every 5 days.

4. Chip says:

Pettite is the master of the bend but don’t break approach

5. Chip says:

Man Matsui must be pretty speedy if he just doubled to shortstop

6. Andy Phillips was called up today in place of Corey Patterson for Cincinnati–nice to see the good guys in baseball get a chance

7. mustang says:

kept

8. Jamal G. says:

My list of most hated teams are:

1. Red Sox
    2. Tigers (Actually I just hate Dave Dombrowski but w/e)
    3. Giants

I hate the Giants because I don’t understand how you can have win totals in the 70s for the past three seasons and still be ranked in the lower third of baseball’s farm systems (according to Baseball America, #23). That just pisses me off. Not to mention them trading away Francisco Liriano, Joe Nathan, and Boof Bonser for Mr. AJ Pierzynski who they didn’t even keep for more than his one season in San Francisco.

• Mike A. says:

I don’t think I really hate any teams. I used to hate the Mets, but I’ve come around now and just feel bad for them. I don’t hate the Sox, I just hate their arrogant, douchebag, elitist, comin’ out of the woodwork when they start winning, know-it-all drunken fanbase.

• A.D. says:

There’s more franchise’s turning it around, I’ve always hated the teams that refused to spend, you don’t need to spend like the Yanks but teams that have a surpluss on what they recieve in revenue sharing is redic (Marlins, TB, KC, etc), now those teams are playing well/getting it together…except the Pirates, there was a great article on the players the could have drafted in the 1st round and didn’t (Including BJ Upton & David Wright)

9. finally, the Melky we’re used to seeing (hopefully…)

10. why was he swinging at pitch that almost hit him?

11. Charles says:

Jeter’s been really terrible since being hit on his wrist.

12. Jamal G. says:

Looks like Seattle will be stretching out Brandon Morrow to join their rotation, what the hell took them so long?

t’s The Trendy Thing To Do

With the news of Joba Chamberlain being stretched out for the Yankee rotation, it seems other team are following suit. I just heard that the Seattle Mariners will be stretching out Brandon Morrow and inserting him in their rotation ASAP. Interesting. In leagues where teams are starved for pitching, it might be a nice gamble to take and one that will certainly cost you much less that that price of Joba.

13. Charles says:

Damn Mora!

14. Jake H says:

I’m a big Jeter guy but that is not acceptible to not even make contact to attemp to get the guy in.

15. Joey says:

I’m watching MLB.tv and they just interview the fuckin caveman from the Geico commercials. First off, worst commercial ever. Second, the most dumb idea for a TV show. The interview was fuckin horrible and the idiot that has the caveman get up in public deserves to be shot. And come on Robbie, I know it was speedy Roberts but still, come on. Thats 2 runs instead of 1 now

16. Captain Wiley says:

Just saw on the Charleston website that Betances is DL bound with an upper body injury, whatever that means. Anyone read anything further on this? At least it makes the numbers from his last start more understandable.

17. Mike A. says:

We have breaking new. Jay Bruce finally made an out.

In other news, check out who’s playing third for the Pirates tonight.

18. Mike A. says:

I’m thinking that the answer to the trivia question is Tejada…

19. Charles says:

Big G!!

20. RustyJohn says:

Fucking Giambi!

21. Joey says:

This Giambi guy isn’t too bad…

22. Joey says:

So is that more HR with the Yanks than the A’s now?

23. Jamal G. says:

I swear, every time he plays Jay Payton always does something to irk me.

24. Mike A. says:

We should DFA Giambi. He’s not going to help this team.

25. Jamal G. says:

I really want to see The Strangers and that other movie with Mark Wahlberg that nobody knows anything about, The Happening, which is directed by M. Night Shyamalan.

26. Charles says:

Any chance Giambi becomes a Type B free agent if he continues his performance right now?

27. Realist says:

Wow, Giambi is waking up! Trouble is, the score is tied and the team is still 2 games south of .500….let’s not annoit in him in holy water just yet ;-)

28. Newman says:

Jamal, it’s gotta feel good to see the Giambino absolutely raking after you were one of the very few to stick with him

29. Jamal G. says:

That’s the second bad throw Adam Jones has made in this series.

30. Charles says:

what the?another melky double?

31. Joey says:

Melky’s on again, lets see if we can get him home this time (I’m looking at u Jeter)

32. Joseph P. says:

Hi, Derek. They don’t need a cooling fan at Camden.

33. Joey says:

Alright, I’ll take it

34. Jamal G. says:

We should have a pool at RAB to determine when Chipper Jones will dip under .400 for his Batting Average. Like everybody submits a Game Number and the game of when he dips under .400 from here on out would mean victory for whoever chose that specific game.

BTW, whoever won that season opening contest where we all chose the 2008 Yankees’ firsts?

35. Jamal G. says:

LoL, Ken Singleton can’t be naive enough to think that Snoop Dogg and Willie Nelson have NOTHING in common.

36. they’re both singers…

37. Jamal G. says:

Good shit Yankees.

38. Jamal G. says:

72 Pitches and Andy Pettitte isn’t exactly sharp with only 58% of those pitches being strikes. He also has allowed 7 hits and a HR, so should Joba Chamberlain start the 6th inning?

• Newman says:

I don’t think so. I think you have to let Andy go at least the 6th, he’s still battled and only gave up the 2 runs so far

39. I’d have to think that Joba starts the 6th

40. Mike A. says:

This long haired douchebag on the Fox Business Break needs to go away.

41. dammit he started the 6th

42. A.D. says:

David Price is Outdeuling Pedro

43. Mike A. says:

Holy crap, the Indians pulled off a triple steal today!

44. Newman says:

Joba doesn’t look like he’s in any rush to warm up. Is it possible Andy will come out for the 7th?

45. Joey says:

Andy’s looking good, I wish Joba would have been lined up to pitch yesterday. I would think you leave Andy in there tonight and we would still have some of the BP for tonight because Joba would have pitched yesterday. But alas, Joba is going tonight!

46. Mike A. says:

The aquarium in Bal’mer is top notch. So is the Hooters.

47. Jamal G. says:

So much for momentum, Oliver Perez just allowed a three-run HR to Cody Ross (his 2nd of the night) and the Mets trail 5-4 in the Florida 6th.

48. A.D. says:

Interesting pettite in the 7th

49. woah…where’s joba?

50. Joey says:

I guess 8th, 9th, BP?

51. Jamal G. says:

This seems planned to bring him in the middle of the inning, wonder why.

52. Ben K. says:

I love how Joba pours a glass of water over himself before coming in to pitch.

53. r.w.g. says:

Eh.. Andy didn’t seem too thrilled about that. Probably really wanted another crack at Mora.

54. Charles says:

JOba time!

55. this makes no sense. a starter STARTS innings, doesn’t FINISH them.

56. Joba’s been walking a lot of people lately…

57. Joey says:

Maybe he’s just trying to throw as many of the 55 pitches in game as possible?

58. Jamal G. says:

Really has no control of that Slider tonight. We might see an odd amount of Curveballs from Joba Chamberlain in the 8th inning.

59. Ben K. says:

If anyone on the Orioles deserve a fist pump, it’s Kevin Millar.

60. A.D. says:

Joba, just making sure he gets his pitches in

61. A.D. says:

Looked alright on those last 2 batters

62. Joey says:

Those last 2 batters he pitched much better than the first few. He got ahead and threw strikes

63. Jamal G. says:

Two more walks for Jay Bruce in his 1-for-2 night thus far. That’s great, 4BBs in his first two games.

64. Jamal G. says:

Nick Markakis did not even get set and he still threw that ball on a rope, nasty.

65. Newman says:

I really don’t understand this. Mo threw 30 pitches last night and I was under the impression that we wanted to get Joba 55 pitches. Why is Mo warming up? Does Girardi not have confidence in Joba to close the game out?

• Jamal G. says:

Trust me, this is not Joe Girardi’s move. This is part of the plan they had tonight.

• Newman says:

It was part of the plan to pitch Mo after a 30 pitch night? I’m just confused, I understand you have to try to win the game, but Joba cruised that inning and it’s not like you’re throwing L. Hawk back out there for a 2nd night in a row

66. Mike A. says:

The Former Attorney General with a 4 RBI night,

67. I don’t care about the situation–why would you ever walk Chad Moeller?

68. Joey says:

I can now tell my grandchildren in 70 years that I witnessed Chad Moeller being INTENTIONALLY walked… what a moment in history

69. Mike A. says:

No pressure Melky, the pressure’s all on Walker.

70. Brian says:

I bet Mo is warming for a 3-2 game…But maybe if we score, it’s Joba.
    Never thought Moeller would get a IBB in this lineup. Awesome.

71. pete says:

my guess is if we score this inning then joba’s coming out. if we don’t, either mo comes out or joba is on a very short leash

72. Jamal G. says:

Regardless of the result (unless he swings at a pitch in the dirt or in his eyes) I love this AB by Melky Cabrera.

73. Mike A. says:

3-2 changeups with the bases loaded … I’m surprised Melk hasn’t broken the bat on his back.

74. A.D. says:

Way to Jinx it Singleton

75. Jamal G. says:

Way to fuck it up Walker.

Wow.

76. A.D. says:

WOW, can’t believe they blew that

77. Well, as that dude on Family Guy would say, “Oh no…”

78. A.D. says:

Looks like Joba is coming back on, and Mo will just warm

79. Jamal G. says:

Joba is coming back for the 9th.

LoL, Endy Chavez of all people jacks a game-tying solo shot off Marlins closer, Kevin Gregg.

80. Mike A. says:

Mo’s numbers are just ridic.

81. Smitt Dog says:

I like this move with Joba and Mo. Well played Cash et al….

82. Joey says:

I would be more upset with Mo coming in except we have the day off tomorrow

83. batty says:

Anyone else feel like Mo isn’t the best idea here? He pitched two innings yesterday, why not keep Joba in there unless he gets in trouble with a two run lead?

84. A.D. says:

Well with Joba throwing 1.1 innings today makes it a bit odd they didnt just use him for 2 yesterday, I get the rest issue, but he didn’t even really stretch it out. Interesting if they still have him go next week or just push back the rotation

• Mike A. says:

They’ll still need a 5th starter on Tuesday.

• Newman says:

Not sure how they’d be able to slot Joba in for Kennedy on Tuesday now, he hasn’t pitched more than 2 consecutive innings in an appearance yet

• A.D. says:

True, figure they can just start Joba even with as low as a 55 pitch limit, and piggyback the rest, that way he can definitly get his innings/pitches

85. BigBlueAL says:

I just got home, find out Joba pitches a whopping 1 1/3 innings, and they DONT let him pitch the 9th inning?????? So, we basically tank last night’s game in extra innings because Joba HAD to get his work on Wed, and they dont even let him pitch more than 1 1/3. Absolutely fuckin ridiculous. Great plan. Now last night’s loss pisses me off even more. Sorry, just finished umping an annoying game. OK, im fine now, oh wait, ARod nice play…..

86. Realist says:

This makes no sense……………I guess it’s time to stop reading “rumors” and just watch the games? Joba was fine….now Mo?????

Roger Daltry once howled, “The new boss same as the old boss!”…………I hope this doesn’t ring true…

87. A.D. says:

Annd we can leave this ugly trip to baltimore on a high note

88. Kelvin says:

Mo is just great

89. Chip says:

Joba will go to the bullpen to throw the rest of his pitches. I’m still confused why with a 2 run lead you take him out

• BigBlueAL says:

It pisses me off more about last night, where lord knows he had plenty of opportunities to get his 55 pitches in. Like i mentioned, WHY slot him in behind Pettitte and not IPK. A STUPID plan that cost them a game. Whatever, just lookin forward to him hopefully starting next week. Team in general is still looking/playing alot better for the past week, and the month of June opponent wise sets up for hopefully a good month, and instead of goin into All-Stat break like last year a game under .500 we could be a few if not more over .500 and be positioned perfectly for the usual (hopefully) 2nd half surge.

90. Jamal G. says:

Can someone give a little rundown on Joe Girardi’s post-game Q & A?

91. batty says:

I don’t know if anyone else suffers through John Sterling after the game (I like to listen to the clubhouse report) but how is Damon capitalizing on the error in the 9th the turning point of the game when they already had the lead?!

• Jamal G. says:

Because that’s the last thing his senile ass remembers.

• BigBlueAL says:

Seriously, listening to the Yankees radio broadcasts on Saturday’s down here when they arent on the package, i cant stand Waldman or Sterling anymore. I know u guys mostly hate Michael Kay, but when he was with Sterling on the radio, they were great. From 1998-2000 i heard almost all the broadcasts on Yankees.com (when it was free) and enjoyed it alot, but the radio broadcasts now are sorry to say HORRIBLE. the Marlins broadcast which i hardly ever listen to unless im in the car and wanna try to catch scores is 100X better.

92. Ramadan says:

if it was a save situation mo was going to pitch according to giradi