Jun

I have DotF Title writer’s block

Triple-A Scranton had their game suspended with the batter facing an 0-2 count with 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th. I know that sounds crazy, but the scored was tied at one. Chad Jennings says they’ll wrap it up tomorrow, so I’ll update the stats then.

Double-A Trenton (5-3 loss to Portland)
Ramiro Pena & Cody Ehlers: both 0 for 4, 1 K
Colin Curtis & Austin Jackson: both 1 for 5 – Curtis doubled in a run, K’ed & threw a runner out at third from LF … Ajax hit a triple
PJ Pilittere: 1 for 4
Jose Tabata: 2 for 3, 1 R, 1 BB – still just 9 for his last 39 (.231)
Chris Malec & Edwar Gonzalez: both 2 for 4, 1 R - Malec K’ed twice … Edwar doubled, drove in 2 & K’ed
Reegie Corona: 1 for 3, 1 BB
Eric Wordekemper: 3.1 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 3-6 GB/FB – made his first start since 2006 … gave up 2 solo jacks, giving him 5 HR allowed this season, 5 more than last year
Mark Melancon: 3.2 IP, 4 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 5 K, 1-4 GB/FB – second worst outing of the year (the first was his second appearance of the season)
Zack Kroenke: 1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 K

High-A Tampa (4-1 win over Palm Beach)
Luis Nunez: 1 for 5
James Cooper: 2 for 5, 1 R, 1 K, 1 SB
Mitch Hilligoss: 1 for 3, 2 R, 1 K
Andres Perez: 1 for 4, 1 R, 1 2B, 1 RBI, 1 K – the Stony Brook grad from Manhattan is 11 for his last 35
Seth Fortenberry & Eduardo Nunez: both 0 for 4 – Fortenberry committed a fielding error
Jose Gil: 0 for 3, 1 K, 1 PB, 1 E (throwing)
CJ Henry: 1 or 4, 1 RBI, 2 K
Kevin Smith: 2 for 4, 2 K
Jason Stephens: 6 IP, 7 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 3 BB, 5 K, 9-3 GB/FB – 18/5 GB/FB with Tampa
Grant Duff: 2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 3 K
J-Hov: 1 IP, zeroes, 1 K – 3 baserunners allowed in his last 9 IP

Low-A Charleston (12-3 throbbing at the hands of Columbus)
Abe Almonte & Justin Snyder: 1 for 4, 1 R, 1 BB – Almonte K’ed once, Snyder twice … Almonte threw a runner out at third from CF … Snyder committed a throwing error
Bradley Suttle: 2 for 4, 1 BB, 1 K
Jesus Montero: 0 for 4, 1 BB, 1 K – OMG!!1!! HE”S 1 FOR HIS LAST 12!!!1eleven!
Austin Romine: 2 for 4, 1 R, 2 RBI – he’s been completely overshadowed by Hey-Zeus, but he’s been all sorts of awesome
Brandon Laird, Taylor Holiday & Austin Krum: all 0 for 3, 1 BB – Laird K’ed … Holiday drew a walk
Carmen Angelini: 1 for 4, 1 K, 2 E (both fielding)
Wilkins DeLaRosa: 3.2 IP, 1 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 4 BB, 3 K - stretchin’ him out
Chase Vacek: 1 IP, 7 H, 6 R, 6 ER, 2 BB, 0 K, 1 Balk – ERA went from 3.03 to 4.31
Nick Asselin: 2.1 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 0 BB, 2 K
Dan Kapala: 1.2 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 0 K
Jon Ortiz: 0.1 IP, zeroes, 1 K

Short Season Staten Island (4-3 in over Hudson Valley)
Ray Kruml: 1 for 4, 1 R, 1 SB – picked off first & threw a runner out at third from CF
David Adams: 3 for 4, 2 R, 2 SB – 6 for his last 16
Braedyn Pruitt: 0 for 2, 1 RBI - please, stopping playing him, or at least stop hitting him in the middle of the lineup … he’s hitting .186 with 2 XBH on the season
Brian Baisley: 1 for 3, 1 R, 1 RBI, 1 K – ejected after arguing a called third strike
Dan Brewer: 2 for 4, 1 K
Taylor Grote: 1 for 4, 2 K
Jack Rye: 2 for 3, 1 2B, 1 RBI – fresh off the College World Series
Casey Erickson: 4 IP, 10 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 0 BB, 1 K, 9-0 GB/FB
Andy Shive: 2 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 3 K, 1 WP
Jacinto Gonell: 1.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 3 K, 0-3 GB/FB
Pat Venditte: 1.1 IP, zeroes, 1 K – faced a LHB, a RHB & 2 switch hitters … hasn’t allowed a baserunner since his first outing of year back on June 19

Rookie GCL Yankees (2-1 win over GCL Jays)
Jose Pirela: 1 for 4, 1 R, 1 K
Mike Jones: 1 for 2, 1 2B, 1 K
Alvaro Ramirez, Jimmy Paredes & Yunior Tabares: all 0 for 2 – Ramirez & Tabares K’ed … Paredes drove in a run & committed a fielding error
Chad Gross, Corban Joseph & Francisco Arcia: all 1 for 3 – Gross stole a bag … CoJoe was picked off first … Arcia allowed a passed ball
Chris Smith: 2 for 3, 1 R, 1 K
Humberto Sanchez: 1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 K, 2-0 GB/FB – woohoo, he pitched a full inning
Francisco Castillo: 2 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 1 K, 4-1 GB/FB
Frankie Rondon: 4 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 4 BB, 4 K, 2-4 GB/FB – picked runners off first & second
Mike Obradovich: 1 IP, zeroes, 2 K

Categories : Down on the Farm

1. whozat says:

12-3 throbbing?

2. Piquay says:

Holy shit, Carmen. I know I said I wasn’t concerned by the errors, but two in one day?

3. Jamal G. says:

How about “Melancon Sucks, Ponson for Cy Young!”?

4. Manimal says:

What happened with the 2 switch hitters vs Venditte? Anything as interesting as last time?

5. Joey says:

DotF(ortenberry) is still stuck in my head from the first time you titled it that, and even though he’s nothing special (being nice, I know) I think the name was pretty awesome. Every time I read the title DotF I read outloud “Down on the Fortenberry.” I’m crazy… ugh

6. BC says:

Wow. What is going on a charleston. Not a very good team at all for one that has so much talent (Montero, Romine, Angelini, Almonte). They are 27-28 over their last 55 and 2-6 since the all star break and getting crushed daily now. I understand its about developing players and not about the team but something is really wrong with that team.

• Mike A. says:

I wouldn’t worry about it too much. McAllister and Stephens were their two best pitchers before being promoted, and losing Jairo & Betances to injury hurts too. Winning in the minors is nice, but development is more important. Montero, Suttle, Snyder, Almonte, Romine are all having very nice years. Angelini and Laird … not so much. Can’t win ‘em all though.

• r.w.g. says:

I don’t know if I’d say Laird isn’t having a good year. It isn’t terrific, from a batting average standpoint.. but his power numbers are virtually identical to Jesus Montero. They each have 7 homers, and Montero’s got 21 doubles to Laird’s 17.

As far as BB/K ratios, Montero is at 19/45 and Laird sits at 18/51.

I fully understand Jesus is two years younger and did not play college ball.. but Laird played his ball at a Junior College (albeit one known for guys trying to improve draft stock) and he’s only 20. The year so far is what it is, but average can fluctuate so much and his power has been legitimate.

If you take away some of the really cold stretches Laird has had, it might look a lot more like the Yanks have 2 potential mashers down there in Carolina.

7. NC Saint says:

What, exactly, is the story with Melancon’s eating up all these innings? At first I understood the explanation that they’re just trying to give him work to build up the arm, not turning him into some sort of long reliever, but he’s been doing this a while, so I’m getting a bit confused at this point.

How did he go from not ready for game action to desperately in need of innings so quickly? We don’t see anything of the sort with, say, Cox. It seems especially weird in light of the new info about them wanting to keep him at AA all year. That makes perfect sense to me, but if that’s what they’re doing, why the rush to give him all these outs?

• Travis G. says:

it’s more about pitch count. he’s often so dominating that he gets through an inning in about 10 pitches.

• Mike A. says:

The excuse I heard was that he was getting through innings on too few pitches, so he had to throw multiple innings to build up arm strength. I’m not sure I buy that anymore. He got knocked around pretty good tonight, I imagine it was a ~50-pitch outing for him. I honestly don’t know what’s up with the workload, but I trust the Yanks have a plan in place and know what they’re doing.

8. Travis G. says:

Melancon still k’ed 5.

9. Bonos says:

And if this is a symptom of overwork and he goes on the DL. What, they’re blazing a new medical recovery path or pulling a Proctor. 58 innings in three months.

• Mike A. says:

I do know that he’s on the Joba Rules, 1 day off for every inning pitched. So it’s not like they’re just throwing him out there without care.

10. stuart says:

57 innings for melancon great they can turn him into a starter…….

if he is dominating AA so much he is not throwing enough pitches per inning maybe they should move him u????

god forbid hey move him up in competition..

11. dan says:

Down on the Farm-ers Block

12. RPimpsner says:

Two runners did reach base in the ninth inning during the SI Yankee game via errors. Venditte did another good job out there, I have some video of it on my site as well as the game recap up.

Addision Maruszak is day-to-day with a knee injury. He got hurt in the game on Thursday night in Hudson Valley on a slide into second. Brian Chavez was placed on the DL with a back injury.

Jack Rye made his debut and Walter Ibarra will be with the team tomorrow.

13. JohnC says:

Where has Carlos Urena been? I haven’t see his name at all in the GCL BOXSCORES.