Jul

Game 84: If a good righty is pitching poorly, will we beat him?

Kevin Millwood takes the mound for the Rangers tonight. He’s been quite crappy this season, pitching to a 5.08 ERA. He lasted just five innings against the Astros last time out, surrendering seven runs over five innings, walking three and giving up 12 hits. Now, we know the Yanks tend to suck against hittable pitchers, and Millwood seems like one of that ilk this season. But in 37.1 career innings against the Yanks, he’s surrendered 20 earned runs. So maybe they have a shot tonight.

On the other hill is a man who needs no introduction. In his five starts this season, Joba Chamberlain is pitching to a 1.80 ERA over 25 innings, and has now pitched more innings in 2008 out of the rotation than the bullpen. He’s struck out 26 while walking 13 for a nifty 2:1 K/BB ratio. He’ll need to decrease his walks to continue succeeding, but most of us have faith that this will continue. But, you know, since he hasn’t gone more than 6.2 innings over his first five major league starts, he’s only a six, six-plus inning pitcher. Thanks, Joe Buck and Tim McCarver, for prophesizing Joba’s career for us.

Cap’n Jetes gets the night off, which is nice. I understand he wants to play every game, but he’s 34 years old. Guys that age could use a day off here and there. In his place, though, I feel Girardi has made a mistake in starting Betemit. Yeah, his bat has some pop, but I’d far rather have Alberto’s glove in there. Anyone else with me?

Via PeteAbe: Britton tossed eight pitches in the GCL, finishing an inning with a strikeout. Humberto Sanchez got through a 12-pitch inning while issuing a walk.

Now onto your lineup:

1. Johnny Damon, DH
2. Brett Gardner, LF
3. Bobby Abreu, RF — three lefties in a row. Wow
4. Alex Rodriguez, 3B
5. Jason Giambi, 1B
6. Jorge Posada, C
7. Robinson Cano, 2B
8. Wilson Betemit, SS
9. Melky Cabrera, CF

And on the mount, number sixty-two, Joba Chamberlain

Categories : Game Threads

1. dkidd says:

personally, i like betemit starting over ag. no settling for 1 run tonight!

2. Wally Pipp says:

BG, enough said.

3. Bill N. says:

Is everybody at the game ?

4. Wally Pipp says:

Haha, I went last night. Two nights in a row would cripple my wallet.

5. dkidd says:

gardner would’ve scored from 3rd on that pop-up

6. tommiesmithjohncarlos says:

Michael Kay is an idiot. He said on his show (and I’m paraphrasing) that he’s got a problem with Jeter sitting, that Jeter should be playing every day, and then blamed Jeter sitting on either A) Joe Girardi being a “national league guy” or B) Brett Gardner being called up meaning that Damon now has to DH so Jeter has to sit. He said he likes having Gardner up but that if Gardner being up means that Jeter and other guys (like Posada or Matsui) have to have a day off here or there and not play every day, the Yankees need to just trade either Gardner or Melky and be done with it. He said that, less than 24 hours and 4 at bats into Brett Gardner’s career, because Derek Jeter is taking a day off.

I am not kidding.

Then, he also took issue with the fact that Gardner is hitting second. He says he wants him hitting 9th, because (and I’m not paraphrasing, this is a verbatim quote) “I like having two leadoff hitters…”

Yeah, apparently in Michael Kay’s mind, having 9-Gardner followed by 1-Damon is two leadoff hitters, but 1-Damon followed by 2-Gardner somehow isn’t.

I called him up out of sheer horror. I told him that he was disappointing me because he was supposed to be smarter than that. I said that Jeter having a day off had nothing to do with Gardner being called up or Girardi being an “NL guy”, it’s because he’s taking a day off. Everybody does it. Guys who don’t take a day off get gassed and slump. I said that the last two guys who never took a day off were Cal Ripken Jr. and Albert Belle, and both of them had their bodies self destruct on them.

He asked me “Cal Ripken Jr, a guy who played 20 years, his body broke down?”

I said, “Yes, Michael, over the last 3-4 years of his career he was a shell of himself and he was horrid.”

Kay said nothing to that.

I said that Gardner isn’t playing short, he’s only taking starts from Melky, Damon, and Matsui, and that with Melky not hitting and Damon and Matsui both being old and injury prone, they needed days off.

He said Johnny Damon wasn’t old and didn’t need days off.

I told him that Damon regularly took days at DH, independent of Gardner or Jeter, because he sucked in the field and needed to rest his legs because he’s 34. All of this has nothing to do with Gardner.

He said nothing to that.

I told him his complaint about Gardner in the 2-hole made no sense because it’s still two leadoff guys back to back, however you slice it.

He said some crap about how it’s all about the first inning and how you line up in the beginning, and that that’s why cleanup guys don’t bat 5th and some other nonsensical shit.

And then he ran me before I had a chance to ask him who the hell should hit in the 2 hole… Betemit? Melky? Cano?

What a moron.

7. dkidd says:

so the future of our franchise is the 1985 cardinals?

8. Wally Pipp says:

Also, heckling Josh Hamilton, too insensitive?

9. Mike A. says:

Gotta settle down Joba.

10. Mike A. says:

Jesus Christ, Kay just blamed that run on Jeter getting a day off.

11. dkidd says:

i take it back. get ag in there

12. dkidd says:

also, michael kay is an idiot

13. Joseph P. says:

Okay. We need to get Betemit out of there. Freakin’ butcher.

14. Mike A. says:

Terrible baserunning by Salty. Never go when the ball’s hit in front of you.

• The Fallen Phoenix says:

Nice phantom tag by A-Rod, though. Not that I’m complaining; I’m surprised Salty didn’t argue it, either.

15. Mike A. says:

You know, I’m going through fist pump withdrawal here. I hope we get one tonight.

16. Wally Pipp says:

Hank probably ordered the switch in the rotation, to get Joba throwing Sunday night on ESPN…on a personal note, I’m thrilled, souly becuase I will be there, not for rotation sake.

/selfish.

17. Baseballnation says:

Good k with 99 mph.

……..Is it me or does it looked like Joba has gain a smidge of weight?? Last year he looked incredible considering the negative past accounts and he looked more leaner. this year the belly is more puffy and his legs look heavier.

18. Tim says:

I have to admit that this two run lead has me a bit concerned. After the past few games those two runs are looking pretty tall.

19. dkidd says:

you just know the ball’s gonna find betemit all night

20. Wally Pipp says:

Another ‘stache hit, anyone else see the t-shirts outside the Stadium, awesome.

21. Mike A. says:

That’s how you know your offense is struggling, when a screamer hit back up the middle deflects off the pitcher for an out. Ho hum.

22. dkidd says:

yet another sweet ‘stache on the home plate ump

23. Bill N. says:

Nothing like watching an ugly lady with her kids eat pop corn

24. Bill N. says:

Joba throwing all these balls is Jeter’s fault for being off today

25. Baseballnation says:

here’s a crazy idea. Let some team like the Rays make a 3 month rental on Sabathia with the intention to chase him this off season. Here’s the thing, the alternative is a vet. Someone who has previous pitching success, throws strikes, and makes a reasonable paycheck. Not to mention he’ll make a solid 4 behind Andy, Moose, Joba. None other than K Millwood

26. Mike A. says:

Why is Kevin Millwood unlikely to throw a no-hitter? Because he doesn’t throw 100 mph? If Kay bothered to do some actual research, he’d see that the majority of no-no’s belong to finesse guys.

27. Mike A. says:

No bunting now, let Gardner hit.

28. Mike A. says:

Please don’t pop out Bobby.

29. Baseballnation says:

K on a curve that was way outside….nice Bobby

30. Jake H says:

This team is mentally weak.

31. Steve says:

Since we obviously can’t hit with runners at scoring position, I have a solution.

Tell everybody who gets a hit to stop running at First base. And then if someone else gets a hit, do like the Bad News Bears and just keep running and running around the bases, and don’t stop till you get home.

Worth a shot.

32. Baseballnation says:

I have to admit I love the Rays/Red Sox rivary that has really manifested over the last couple of years. It’s really one of the more entertaining ones in baseball.

33. Mike A. says:

I just don’t see how Joba can maintain his velocity 2 or 3 innings. He should be a reliever.

34. Eric says:

How many pitches do you think Joba gets tonight?

35. Bill N. says:

I was at Millwoods nohitter at the Vet, yes I’m from philly

36. Jake H says:

Anyone else think Girardi needs to get in their faces? This team acts like they can turn it on any time and they can’t.

37. LiveFromNewYork says:

WTF was that? I can’t believe they’re making this guy look good.

I am always surprised by the same old thing. I have tix to this weekend. I’m looking forward to a horrible time.

38. Flynn says:

way to work it Wilson, up 2-0 and you go down like a chump. Melky you miserable fuck.

39. dkidd says:

remember: we could be the mets

40. Mike A. says:

Fire Marshall Bob? It’s Fire Marshall Bill you buffoon!

41. dkidd says:

i like dan giese

42. dkidd says:

jinxed him

43. mustang says:

Can someone please tell why is Joba not pitching I just turn on the game

• Mike A. says:

Blew out his arm. Had to take him off a stretcher.

Okay fine. He was wild and ran his pitch count up. ~90 pitches after 4.

• cult of basebaal says:

should have gone with “his arm tore off his shoulder, ran about the infield like a chicken without a haid, had to club him with a rawlin’s just to lash him to the strecher!”

or something like that …

• mustang says:

Mike A.
        I don’t know you , but the next time you scare me like that I will find you and…..
        LOL
        Holy shit 90 pitches in 4 innings how many walks ?

44. Mike A. says:

D-Rob in the hizzy.

45. Chip says:

Nice inning by Robertson, hopefully he settles in nicely.

BTW, whoever had this game as the game Melky “passes” Cano in the batting average race to the bottom deserves a cookie

46. Ivan says:

Roberston Control looked much better than last time.

47. Manimal says:

Imagine Gardner and Pedroia fighting. That be sick.

48. Mike A. says:

Tie game bitches.

49. Stryker says:

tie game!!

50. Manimal says:

Posada dropped the piano from his back!

51. Mike A. says:

That game tying RBI single is Jeter’s fault for being off today.

52. Mike A. says:

What a shock. Melky ended the … oh forget it.

53. Manimal says:

Melky REALLY wants to go to scranton. Rumor has it Arizona is interested in him. Thats our best bet.

54. alex says:

these YES guys………….all they talk about is people in the stadium. making fun of everyone, instead of actually discussing valuable baseball “stuff”. tonight its that kid eating food and his cholestoral. tomorrow it’s the itch on michael kays crotch. sick of kay………….

55. Ben B. says:

I have to ask, is this Kevin Long’s fault? I don’t expect to score ten runs every night, and I know the team has battled through injuries, and I know that some guys “get up” to play the Yankees, but without doing the requisite amount of research, I would suggest that we get shut down by more league average pitchers than a team with our talent should.

• LiveFromNewYork says:

I’ve said that a while. Esp when someone breaks out of a slump and they’re like “Kevin helped me with….” Well where is “Kevin doesn’t know what the F he’s doing…” when they’re not doing well.

• whozat says:

When a guy’s slumping, it’s not because the hitting coach is messing with his mojo.

• LiveFromNewYork says:

No but he’s not helping.

• whozat says:

It’s not like he can go up there and hit for a guy. All he can do is suggest, recommend, yell…it’s still up to the hitter to execute.

It’s a knee-jerk reaction to look for someone to fire when a team is doing something poorly. But…How could it POSSIBLY be Kevin Long’s fault that the Yankees are horrible at hitting with RISP?

What, you think he HASN’T told them to just think up the middle in those situations? Yeah, he probably hasn’t thought of that. Or told Cano that he needs to be more selective and take outside pitches the other way? Nah.

• whozat says:

They had this problem before Long became the coach. I have no idea what the deal is. No one ever really seriously looks into it. I’d love it if someone looked into whether this is just our perception, or if the Yankees over the last four years have really been shut down by junkballers who other teams destroy.

Maybe it’s guys with poor stuff who don’t walk a lot of people?

• Ben B. says:

I realize that we’ve had this problem for at least a couple of years. I’m not sure it predates Kevin Long, but in any event, this has got to be, what, a lack of preparation? Are our guys just not watching/being made to watch enough tape of the opponent’s staff before each series?

• whozat says:

“I’m not sure it predates Kevin Long”

This is only his second year.

“Are our guys just not watching/being made to watch enough tape of the opponent’s staff before each series?”

I dunno. No one ever really presses anyone about it. You’d think some journalist would, but instead they ask Girardi and Cashman 400 times whether Joba should be a starter or not.

It may be that the Yankees are a team of vets, and they have their prep routines that they’ve had for years and the coaches don’t want to tell them to watch more tape. Or that may not be it at all. It may be that they rely _too_ heavily on tape and, when there isn’t a lot of tape, they just can’t prepare like they usually do.

This is why it’s pointless for us to speculate from the outside. Our loud, cranky assertions could be exactly wrong…we bitch they need to watch more tape when it turns out the problem is they rely too much on tape.

56. Mike A. says:

Robertson’s not giving in Hamilton. Nice little battle right here.

57. Mike A. says:

The wave has been allowed to infect Yankee Stadium. Good thing they are tearing the place down.

58. The Fallen Phoenix says:

Epic at-bat and they’re doing the wave? REALLY?

59. The Fallen Phoenix says:

By the way, I love how Girardi’s making use of the bullpen weapons he’s given. I don’t necessarily mean this as a knock on Torre, but you can see how confused Michael Kay is by Girardi’s not conducting business-as-usual.

60. whozat says:

It’s a travesty that Pedroia is beating Kinsler. I wish that, at the All-star game, when Kinsler replaces Pedroia in the 3rd or whatever, the announcers would point out how superior his numbers are and how that indicates that the best players often do not get voted in by the fans.

They can say it about Jeter too, as far as I’m concerned.

Though, they’ll instead probably talk about how Pedroia’s an example of how a player with worse numbers is actually better because he’s been in a world series before.

• Ben B. says:

If we only wanted the most deserving players in the AS Game, we probably shouldn’t let a fan vote be the principal determinant of the starting roster.

I’m not sure I really care, though, except when someone I like get jobbed.

It’s an exhibition game, a circus.

61. Mike A. says:

David freaking Robertson.

That is all.

• Chip says:

45 pitches and he still doesn’t give in. He threw 20 pitches to get those last two outs alone! That’s the turning point in this game if they can score here. I think it’s about high time for BG’s first hit

62. alex says:

can anyone tell me where we got david robertson from?

63. Ivan says:

Big out by robertson.

64. George Kaplan says:

I don’t care if my five year old cousin could beat him in a fist fight, I have a feeling he’s sticking around for a while

65. George Kaplan says:

From Alabama, trains up here in boston, and, I shit you not, hunts deer and makes his own jerky.

66. Chip says:

When is the last time we saw Melky watch 5 pitches?

67. alex says:

come on A-ROD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

68. alex says:

futile effort……….quick ab for a-rod

69. Andy in Sunny Daytona says:

Is that Gardner’s older brother that they keep showing in the stands?

(I kid because I care)

70. Mike A. says:

I’m in the mood for a little extra inning action. Let’s do this.

71. Chip says:

Here’s a great stat, Robertson hasn’t given up a homerun since college

72. christopher says:

can this offense get any f***en worse. this is god damn joke

disgrace forget the pitching this offense is old/slow/and chokes the like of hich we havent seen in forever

what a joke — blow this bunch of jokers up

73. dkidd says:

vote for kinsler. if pedroia starts the all-star game i’m going to kill myself

74. Mike A. says:

Who could have foreseen that with the infield drawn in…

75. Chip says:

Man, Rivera just doesn’t have it when he isn’t in a save situation

76. Flynn says:

Way to go Mo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This team is terrible from top to bottom.

77. alex says:

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF!!!!!!

78. Flynn says:

Jesus, jorge throws like Damon. AWFUL

79. Mike A. says:

Bah, you gotta let A-Rod take that one, he’s charging in.

80. Chip says:

Well here’s to Melky hitting one out to tie it!

81. Chip says:

If Melky swings at the first pitch, he goes direction to AAA

82. Mike A. says:

In the name of all that is holy, pinch hit someone for Melky. Anyone. Jeter, Moeller, Gene Michael, anyone!

83. alex says:

ohhh fuck! we all kno melky cant bunt

84. Mike A. says:

I sure hope Girardi enjoyed Derek’s company tonight.

85. Chip says:

That’s it, get him out of here. He should have bunted after the first strike, the guy can’t get the ball out of the infield anymore

86. Flynn says:

I hate Melky with an intensity that can’t be measured. You muther fucking sack of shit. BUNT you useless fuck. I hate Girardi for allowing that pile of monkey shit to to anything that could fuck that up.

FUCK

Goddamit. This team makes me sick.

87. E-ROC says:

Too much faith in Cabrera right there. What a way to manage the game, Girardi!

88. alex says:

listless bastards, get your fucking acts together

89. alex says:

listless bastards, get your fucking acts together. and someone please tell me why they were showcasing that little kid in the frony row all night. from his eating to his good deed by giving that ball away.

90. Rich says:

Not PHing for Melky was one of the dumbest things I have ever seen.

91. Realist says:

Where’s that idiot “Rob” who claimed melky was the next Clemente? The same one who gave his home address to fight me????? Dumb mother fucker, you woulda got your ass kicked by an old man (41) and still been wrong.

Melky can’t hit for average, power , steal a base or field above average….except his arm.

• NYFan50 says:

With any luck at some point they’ll send Melky to AAA and replace him with Gardner. It can’t hurt at this point.

92. Mike A. says:

I just don’t get it. Why would you play for 1-run and bunt in the first, but not in the 9th? This ones on Girardi more than anyone else.

93. alex says:

get rid of melky and maybe, just maybe it’ll wake cano about and help him realize his buddy is gone and he too has to perform.

“TRADE 28 IN 08″

94. Wally Pipp says:

RAB has been pro BG, anti 28 for a while now, as much as I would like to see a switch, tonight is on Girardi.

95. Rich says:

It’s almost as if Girardi has never seen Gardner’s splits.

96. Manimal says:

This is disgusting, I officially hate Joe Girardi. I don’t even know where to start. How about Charlie Manual arguing balls and strikes while Joe girardi sits on the bench making faces. FUCK YOU GIRARDI, If your pissed off then give him a piece of your mind Gardner was getting BS calls and what did you do about it. ZIP. NADA. NOTHING.

And what the hell was that 9th inning mess. Mariano should not have been pitching, it should have been farnsworth(there I said it). Mariano does not do good in Tie games. In the 9th inning he should’ve put in molina since Posada’s AB wasn’t for a while the yankees wouldve tied by then. Alright Mariano gives up a double to Kinsler but seriously what else does he hit? Posada does a shitty throw to third and they end up scoring a run alright fine. Bottom of the inning Betemit gets up and walks on 4 pitches. MR 0′FER FUCKING WEEK is at bat and he doesnt pinch hit or even try to bunt he fucking gets into a double play! Damon’s up and he breaks his bat(what else is new). I think its safe to say that cashman should be fired, Girardi should be fired and someone with more balls should manage(Willy isnt busy is he?) there needs to be big moves before the trade deadline. Abreu needs to go, his lack of hustle KILLS me.He will give us alot of stuff back.

And that ladies and gentlemen is my longest comment at RAB ever.

97. Wally Pipp says:

I feel like I was punched in the sotmach during the 9th inning.

98. Mike A. says:

Why couldn’t Melk just strike out on a pitch over his head?

• E-ROC says:

That would be too easy and with our luck, that simply didn’t happen. Melky actually took pitches; thats the sad part.

I wonder if Kevin Millwood was auditioning. Just saying…

99. Wally Pipp says:

Robertson sounds like Nuke Laloosh right now, I hope this is the start of something consistent.

100. christopher says:

does anyone actually think this team has a chance at making the playoffs

they are a joke – sick of sein young playes on othe teams poduce while the yanks kids take it up the ass

farm system strategy is payin off — get some real players in here next season – they bette not cheap out on free agents and/or trades again net offseason as they have been the previous 2 and if they do trade vets can they get something esemnlin value fo them

johnson for olendorf who is shit
    sheffield for a guy who has thown 30 pitches in 2 years

will they open theo wallets fo sabathia, sheets, texiea o would they rather not waste the picks.

how many yeas does stinbrenner have left – get th man another couple of rings before he goes and please knck off the damn sox

could have gained 2 games on them if they werent shut down by the potent texas pitching and not to mention embarassed by the pirates and muts for that matter – this season is over – cahsman wants to uthis team together net offseason is his chance to put his stamp on the team – i just hope it will be with a 215 million dollar payroll as it should be wjtg this team – a lot of high priced but relatively young free agents to be not to mention trades

and scew hi attitude – bedad can be had on the cheap and he is loaded with talent – shit we took jeff weaver

101. Mike A. says:

$10 says George King uses the term “Dead Bat Society” tomorrow…

102. jakc says:

If melky is in the lineup tomorrow Girardi is a fucking dumbass.