Jul

Game 98: Time to make a move

Including today, 11 of the Yanks next 14 games are at home, the lone exception being a three game set in Fenway next weekend. The wins don’t have to be textbook, they all count the same.

Some stats for you:

• Since June 14th, Robinson Cano is hitting .350-.373-.534 with a grand total of six strikeouts in 103 at-bats. The Annual Robinson Cano Second Half Surge is officially underway.
  • Hat tip to PeteAbe on this one: Edwar Ramirez hasn’t allowed a hit in his last 9 IP, striking out 14 in the process. Kyle Farnsworth is 1 inning away from his own hidden no-no. Crazy.
  • Since moving to the rotation on June 3rd, Joba Chamberlain‘s 2.64 ERA is the 15th best amongst starters in all of baseball. It’s the 7th best mark in the AL. His 10.20 Kper9 is 4th best in all the land. Could the transition have gone any better?
  • When I post the game thread, the Yanks are 13-7, good for a .650 winning percentage. When Joe posts it, they’re 18-21, or a .492 winning percentage. Ben? 21-17, or a .553 win %. You’ll be seeing less of Joe and more of me in the coming weeks.

1. Jeter, SS
2. Abreu, RF
3. A-Rod, 3B
4. Giambi, DH
5. Cano, 2B
6. Betemit, 1B
7. Cabrera, CF
8. Molina, C
9. Gardner, LF

And on the bump, the grizzled vet, Andy Pettitte. He’ll be opposed by All-Star Justin Duchscherer, the guy with a .213 BABIP. I believe the term is “completely unsustainable.”

Categories : Game Threads

1. Ivan says:

Cano when going right is my second favorite hitter to watch (of course behind A-Rod). The guy has a nice, easy going and beautiful swing and generates a good amount power as well. Hopefully he can keep this, because he’s better than that, much better than that.

2. Brett says:

Thanks Mike; NO MORE JOE!!! :-)

3. Mike A. says:

Andy goin’ right after them.

4. Jamal G. says:

I think I have recognized the big difference between Kenny Singleton and Michael Kay. When Singleton makes a lame joke you react like if your Dad made a lame joke, not funny but its corniness just makes you chuckle. When Kay makes a lame joke you just get angry, like “Dude, shut the hell up”.

I really love this booth of Singleton and David Cone.

• Mike A. says:

When Kay makes a lame joke you just get angry, like “Dude, shut the hell up”.

And that is because of the way Kay acts like he knows everything, and/or continually beats the horse long after it’s dead.

5. JT says:

WTF THEY NEED TO GET RID OF THIS F_HOLE NAMED MEACHEM!!!!!

6. Casper says:

Oh, Bobby Meachem.

7. E-ROC says:

Good job of running hard thru the bases, A-Rod.

• Jamal G. says:

Maybe he was just surprised as most that he was being waved home and never thought Meachem would send him seeing as how Ryan Sweeney charged the ball and has a fine arm.

• JT says:

As arod rounds third and sees Meachem waving him home, you could see the dead blank expression of “omg this ahole meachem is going to get me called out again!!!”

• E-ROC says:

Yeah, but A-Rod slowed rounding third then tried to turn it up when he saw what up the outfielder was doing.

8. Mike A. says:

Sweeney’s got quite the arm. Meachem should know this.

9. Yankee1010 says:

I eagerly await the day that Meachem is no longer the 3rd base coach. It’s beyond ridiculous now.

10. Jamal G. says:

Ok, I’ll admit it, I am souring on Bobby Meachem as the third base coach. Wilson Betemit has had a fine series thus far, that was a bit too aggressive.

11. Jake H says:

Bobby M needs to hold the guy up when it’s hit that hard. That ball was a 1 hopper to Sweeney and he didn’t have to move at all. That’s an easy out.

• christopher says:

how many times can this ass kill an inning by sending a guy into a defenite out. maybe he watches matsui and damon so much and thinks every outfielder throws that way.

12. Jamal G. says:

When Sweeney charged the ball I really think you can’t send A-Rod.

13. JT says:

On a separate note… was anyone really on the same page as those idiots at WFAN who suggested trading cano one for one for freddy sanchez of pitts?

14. Yankee1010 says:

Honestly, what must Meachem do to get fired? Have multiple guys get hurt in home plate collisions?

• Jersey says:

Wave a guy home….and then stick out his foot in the basepath?

• Yankee1010 says:

Sadly, that might be more effective. He might still be able to get back to 3rd. Now all he’s doing is getting guys thrown out at home by a mile.

15. NC Saint says:

Bobby Meacham is an assclown. Cone’s ‘aggressive’ euphemism just doesn’t cut it.

16. Jamal G. says:

Andy looks amazing, hopefully we don’t waste this effort.

17. Casper says:

Never nice to call for someone to lose their job… But the most important aspect of Bobby Meachem’s job is deciding whether to send the runner from 3rd, and he clearly can’t make that decision. The Yankees need a new third-base coach.

• Yankee1010 says:

I agree that it’s not easy to call for someone’s job. But the overwhelming evidence is there that Meachem is simply not able to be an even below average 3rd base coach. Plus, it’s only a matter of time before he gets someone hurt.

18. JT says:

I heard some report on Baseball Tonight that the yankees have announced their interest in Jason Bay/Xavier Nady. Are those espn idiots just trying to stir up some noise. I’m not sold on Nady’s ability to reproduce anywhere near his current level. I wouldnt mind giving up good prospects for Bay but I do not want to even consider the aww-uninspiring Ajax.

• Casper says:

I’ve had some guy in a fantasy league trying to trade Nady to me for a couple of years and I couldn’t have been more dismissive of his attempts… But I’ve been thinking about him lately for the Yankees… I mean, here’s a guy who was a 2nd round draft pick, who’s always been relatively well-regarded, and has seemingly put it together, offensively, the last couple of years. And he’s 29 years old. Maybe this isn’t a terrible guy for the Yankees to target, depending on what the Bucs would expect back in return. You’re trading for the next few years of his production, not the last few. Seems like a solid player who is in the prime of his career. Nothing wrong with a guy who can go out and hit .280-.310 or so with 20 HRs from the right side of the plate.

That being said, I have no idea what you’d offer in return for him. So never mind me.

• A.D. says:

I mean most of the league is interested in those players, but most reports say that the Pirates simply want too much for Nady

• Casper says:

I’m not too well-versed in what the Pirates are expecting, but I just read on the WWL’s “rumors” page that they want 2 prospects. Who knows… If a team leaks to the media that they want “x y and z” for a prospect it doesn’t necessarily mean that’s what it’d take to get a deal done.

• Mike A. says:

If they could get it done for Ohlendorf and Melky, I’d bite. It’s highly unlikely that would be enough though.

I would be much more willing to bulk up the package and send 3 players, say IPK, Ohlie, Melky to the Pirates for Bay. Bay is perfectly capable of playing CF once Damon/Matsui returns.

Again, I don’t think that would be enough.

• christopher says:

Nady just looks too much to me like a guy having a career year.

Bay on the other has a very good track record – i would do ipk,oledorf, and melky up.

for me losing melky is addition by subtraction. he is a good arm on an otherwise useless player

19. Jamal G. says:

Outside of that one inning yesterday, (I think it was the fifth where the Yanks swung at the first and second pitch of the AB almost the whole inning against Sean Gallagher) the Yanks have had some great Plate Appearances all series.

20. Jersey says:

Attaboy Melky.

Does Dukeschererer really have an 85 mph fastball, or is that just Gameday messing with me?

• mko says:

I guess it’s true. But he’s only using a 2-seamer with a lot of movement, that’s always slower than a 4-seamer…

21. Mike A. says:

The Giants are starting to unload their vets, about 3 years too late:

• mko says:

Cool, I read rumours about this trade yesterday and released Durham on my fantasy team. Tulowitzki is coming off the DL tomorrow, let’s hope he produces like he did last year…

• Ivan says:

Word. Plus, lets be honest, can we say Rickie Weeks is a bust? I mean, we have been waiting for this guy to breakout and he hasn’t (add on thathe sucks at second) what gives.

• Mike A. says:

I don’t think you can call him a bust yet, but the Gary Sheffield comparisons clearly aren’t going to come to fruition. You can’t teach that kind of bat speed, so hopefully he figures it out sooner rather than later.

• Mike A. says:

Also, big time props to Doug Melvin and the Brewers. They’ve certainly announced that they’re going for it. Their fans must be stoked.

• Casper says:

I have a friend who’s a big Brewers fan. He doesn’t know how to react to all this, it’s completely foreign to him.

22. Mike A. says:

Andy Pettitte, strikeout machine.

23. Jamal G. says:

They Yankees only have to go 5-6 (including this game) to have their third straight winning month. Their only losing month was April (14-15).

24. A.D. says:

At least Gardner is working counts

25. A.D. says:

Crushed on a line

26. Jamal G. says:

Least runs allowed, least runs scored? When did Brian Billick start managing the Oakland A’s? Zing!

27. Casper says:

Just yelled at my tv: “Don’t send him!”

• Casper says:

Clarification: Comment above was re: Jeter going to third on Abreu’s single up the middle, not the sac fly to right.

28. JT says:

haha phew!

29. A.D. says:

“popped up” goes to medium right field

30. JT says:

I like how Jeter clipped his feet out from under him!

31. Jamal G. says:

Adam Dunn just hit a game-tying Home Run. He is not a winning player. If David Eckstein were to have hit that homer (LoL, can’ type that with a serious face) then he would have gutted out an extra half run.

• Mike A. says:

Did he hit it to Kentucky?

A few years ago he hit a ball clear out of the stadium, it bounced off the sidewalk and landed on a piece of driftwood in the Ohio River, and it finally came to a stop in Kentucky.

• Ivan says:

Whil I am not a Adam Dunn fan, he can sure hit em far.

• christopher says:

this “not a winning player” nonsense is going to make him the steal of this offseason – how many guys in basbeall who are capable of 50 homeruns and ae on-base machines are as underated as him.

put in the phillies line-up and is he that different than ryan howard

32. Jamal G. says:

I think that is about as split second as you can get. Wow.

33. A.D. says:

He may of left early, but the human eye could never determine that for a RF & a runner on 3rd

34. JT says:

Didn’t Geren looked like a penguin running out there?

35. Ivan says:

Wow, walk a struggling Giambi, to get to a scorching hot Cano who’s the better hitter.

36. A.D. says:

Must have figured Giambi would have worked a walk anyways, and just save the pitches

• Jamal G. says:

Well forgot that idea. Got to love the better AB’s by Robbie.

*That was a nice pitch on 3-2, can’t blame Cano for that.

• A.D. says:

Yeah threw up a tough 3-2 curveball on the corner (maybe slightly off), basically a perfect pitch, redic.

So much nicer seeing Cano work it and get good swings

37. scott says:

We need Garardi to pull a Lou Brown and make Gardner do push-ups everytime he hits the ball in the air…

38. Jamal G. says:

Is it just me or did David Wright have one of the quietest 30/30 seasons last year ever? I mean main stream media wise, because everybody I read online was clamoring for him to win the award over Jimmy Rollins and Matt Holliday.

39. Ivan says:

Hey Jamal, would you make this trade if your Houston (NBA talk). McGrady for Chauncey Billups, Tayshaun Prince, and first round pick. That is an interesting trade. I think Detroit will do it, but I don’t know Houston.

• Jamal G. says:

I think Detroit overvalues Tayshaun Prince, not sure they would do it especially with T0Mac’s injury history. I think Houston would do that in a heartbeat though. I still feel Yao Ming is way underrated, he could definitely lead that team when healthy to a second round berth by his lonesome.

40. batty says:

While the Bonds thing probably won’t happen I’m curious – hypothetically would the Giants get extra picks from the Yanks?

41. A.D. says:

Pettite locked in

42. Mike A. says:

Pitching matchups in Fenway next weekend:

Joba vs Beckett
    Pettitte vs Wakefield
    Ponson vs Lester

43. Andy In Sunny Daytona Beach says:

Chip Caray makes me want to puncture my eardrums and pour hot sauce in.

44. christopher says:

things are getting better but with it looking more and more like posada isnt going to be able to catch effectively they are going to need to get another bat in this line-up. when relegated to DH, posada isnt nearly the offensive force that he is when catching because the replacement they could put into that position would just about equal his offensive output.

with gardner, molina, and melky in the line-up that is three easy outs making this line-up more like a meiocre NL line-up.

there is a guy out there who can probably still play a decent LF and if posada cann catch DH and this line-up goes from mediocre to great. Enough with the distractions – AROD doesnt seem to distract the team much when he is cheating on his wife and was fine with the giambi fiasco

the guy has a chip on his shoulder and something to prove. this team cannot trot out this line-up and expect to win. we are going to see far too many games with 15 or 21 baserunners left on.

bite the bullet and sign bonds. his precense does nothing to damage the long term plan and he will be affordable. the move makes so much sense that i cannot even believe that anyone could be against it.

if this wasnt yankee stadium’s final season which carries with it all the publicity and nostalgia would they really be so hesitant to sign bonds. i dont think so – i think management doesnt want to associate it with a steroid user so we will have to associate it with missing the playoffs or getting bounced out in the first round because the team cant score more than 2 runs a game

• Joe says:

Bonds does not play a decent left field, he barely has knees. It’s difficult to run when you don’t have knees.

45. Jamal G. says:

45:20-Strike:ball ratio for Andy Pettitte. Nice.

46. Jamal G. says:

I hope fans realize that Brett Gardner usually struggles when moving up to a new level.

• A.D. says:

Its a good situation for BG right now, since there isn’t pressure for playing time until Damon comes back, so he can take his normal lumps

47. A.D. says:

More pushups for BG

48. A.D. says:

Did that guy have a fishing pole in the camera booth?

49. Jamal G. says:

I have this sneaking suspicion that Adam Dunn will be the first player (with no rumors of PED use) with 500-HR’s not elected into the Hall of Fame.

• Mike A. says:

I hear he doesn’t have a passion for the game.

• A.D. says:

He certainly doesn’t have that HOF type player presence, barring something unforseen, so I could see that

• mko says:

Ryan Howard could be another one. But it’s harder to predict his future with the fluctuations in his stats…

• Mike A. says:

I’ll be surprised if Howard gets to 500. He’s at 158 right now, and he’ll be 29 in a few months. Players with those kind of skills don’t tend to age well.

Dunn is the same age, but has 108 more career HR, including his shot from today.

• A.D. says:

Howard has already won an MVP & ROY, and while this year & last year aren’t an indication, he’s more likely to hit for solid avg.

• Mike A. says:

I wonder which HOFer has the lowest career batting average. Dunn was at .247 coming into today.

• Mike A. says:

Ozzie Smith’s career avg is .262, so that might be the lowest. Ditto his 87 OPS+.

But he did backflips, so it’s cool.

• Ivan says:

and field his ass off.

• A.D. says:

Gary Carter was .262 too, as was Luis Aparicio, but they played more defensive demanding positions

• A.D. says:

Reggie was .262, so that’d be the best comparison (and Dunn is still 15 points lowe), so basically Dunn needs to be clutch in a few WS, and they he’d have a shot, but given the HRs aren’t what they used to be, probably not going to happen

• Ivan says:

Yea reggie probably played in the right era where 500 HR’s was 500 HR’s. Add on the fact was the driving force to 5 WS rings with two different teams that helps.

• Ivan says:

The problem with Dunn is that he’s a career .245 hitter, K’s too much and struggles to be a run producer because he’s a worst hitter in RISP. Plus, a hitter like Dunn usually don’t age well, I wouldn’t be surprise if he didn’t make the HOF even if he had 500+ HR’s.

I understand the walks, OBP% and HR’s but he does hit in a friendly hitter ballpark and 500hr’s are the same they once were.

Persoanlly I am not a Dunn Fan, and just isn’t as good as people think he is.

50. mko says:

Oh no, the Yankees will have to score at least one more run…

51. Ivan says:

The Giambino

52. A.D. says:

Guess, thats why they IBB Giambi last time around

53. Joe says:

What has gotten into Cano?

54. zs190 says:

Yeah, the ‘stache was 5 for 7 with 3 HR against him before or something, he knew the ‘stache owns him.

55. Ivan says:

Keep mow em down Andy.

56. Mike A. says:

97 pitches for Andy … send him back out there?

57. Manimal says:

Gardner needs to start making contact. He pops out weakly in the outfield way too much.

• A.D. says:

that is contact…. but I know what you mean, he had the same disease Cano did earlier in the year

• Manimal says:

I guess I meant solid contact. I expected him to be like eckstein, the little piece of shit that other teams hate because he bloops everything in the gaps and gets doubles out of them.

58. Manimal says:

Thats some crazy stats for Giambi against a pretty good pitcher. 6/8, 4 hr’s and 2 doubles.

59. A.D. says:

With the numbers Duchscherer is putting up, makes you wonder why he worked out of the pen for so long

60. A.D. says:

Whatever Pettite did over the ASB worked out for him

61. Angus P. Crotchpuncher IV says:

Mo save, or let Andy finish?

62. Ivan says:

A-Rod showing some hustle.

• Jamal G. says:

Always does. But since he frosts his highlights, makes $275M, and is not faithful to his wife, he is considered a selfish, me-first player. Fuck the media.

63. Ivan says:

Cano miss that one.

64. A.D. says:

Brent Lillibrige, one of the Braves top prospects, has a .229 avg in the majors thus far, which is actually better than his minor league numbers this year….crazy

65. Angus P. Crotchpuncher IV says:

Did I just see “Jason Giambi” and “infield single” in the same sentence?

66. Mike A. says:

Great job by YES ruining that awesome shot from the blimp of Mo running in from the dugout with gigantic on-screen ads.

67. Joe says:

Toronto just took over the lead on a Marco Scutaro 3 run shot

68. Jamal G. says:

Oh that kick brings back painful, painful memories. Fuck Dave Roberts and Bill Mueller.

69. Manimal says:

Holy Shit! Those Phiten Necklaces are $38.00.

70. Jamal G. says:

Wow, alrighty then.

71. Mike A. says:

Welcome to Yankees’ baseball.

72. E-ROC says:

Abooboo…

73. Manimal says:

that was ugly.

74. A.D. says:

Um, all I can say is wow, at least they got the out, almost a complete debacle

for 15 M a year you think Abreu can get some shades

75. Ivan says:

Rajai Davis there is no Posada behind there.

76. A.D. says:

You know Molina wants the chance to gun down Davis

as I was writing it, it happens

77. Manimal says:

When was the last time we swept someone?

78. Mike A. says:

Bush league fist pumps by Molina AND Girardi.

79. Jamal G. says:

Kim Jones is a very attractive old chic (38 now, 39 on September 7th).

80. Ivan says:

Reyes just pull a Bill Buckner.

81. Mike A. says:

Giambi’s like “Leave me me the fuck alone Kim, there’s a bottle on J.D. in the clubhouse with my name on it.

82. E-ROC says:

Getting a sweep must be foreign territory for the Yanks.

83. LiveFromNewYork says:

Jose….he wants the love. He says backup catcher this.

84. Yankee1010 says:

Abreu, just be a Type A and good riddance.

85. Manimal says:

I really want to see Brett Gardner try to steal off of Molina.

86. Jamal G. says:

The Braves suck. How do you give up two Touchdowns to the Nats?

87. Manimal says:

the ray’s pen is choking.

88. JT says:

Ken Singleton doing the Joe Girardi show. This is great… can we begin to see a diminished goal for Kay within the YES network? I hope so.

89. Geno says:

Willie Randolph for 3rd base coach!