Aug

For one night, Garcia puts it together

Austin Jackson and Kevin Russo are headed to the Arizona Fall League. The Yanks still have five more spots left to fill – four pitchers and an infielder.

Triple-A Scranton (9-1 win over Buffalo)
Justin Christian: 1 for 5
Melky: 1 for 4, 2 R, 1 K
Matt Carson: 2 for 5, 3 R, 1 K – threw a runner out at first from RF
Shelley: 1 for 3, 3 R, 1 HR, 2 RBI, 2 BB
Ben Broussard: 1 for 3, 1 R, 3 RBI – 7 for his last 16 (.438) with 8 RBI
Nick Green: 2 for 4, 2 RBI – 6 for his last 8 (.750)
Eric Duncan & Chris Basak: both 0 for 4, 2 K
Chad Moeller: 1 for 4
The Ghost of Kei Igawa: 6 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 2 K, 6-9 GB/FB – 63 of 96 pitches were strikes (65.6%)
Zack Kroenke: 2 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 2 K, 4-0 GB/FB
Scott Strickland: 1 IP, zeroes, 1-2 GB/FB – all 5 pitches were strikes

Double-A Trenton (10-0 loss to Bowie)
Reegie Corona: 3 for 5, 1 R, 2 2B
Ramiro Pena: 1 for 4, 1 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 2 E (fielding, throwing)
Kevin Russo: 2 for 4, 1 2B, 3 RBI, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 SB – 5 for 10 since taking over the 3-hole when Ajax went on the DL
Frankie Cervelli: 1 for 5, 1 K
Colin Curtis: 0 for 5, 1 K
PJ Pilittere & Chris Malec: both 1 for 4, 1 R – PJ K’ed thrice … Malec doubled
Edwar Gonzalez: 2 for 3, 1 R, 1 RBI, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 SB
James Cooper: 0 for 4, 3 K
Jason Jones: 6 IP, 7 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 3 BB, 2 K, 7-8 GB/FB
Mike Gardner: 0.2 IP, 4 H, 6 R, 6 ER, 2 BB, 1 K, 0-1 GB/FB - and there goes the game …
Jose Valdez: 1.1 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 0 K, 4-0 GB/FB

High-A Tampa (5-1 win over Dunedin)
The Nunezes: both 1 for 4 – Luis drove in a pair … Eduardo swiped a bag
Kevin Smith & Josh Kreuzer: both 0 for 4 – Smith K’ed twice
Seth Fortenberry: 1 for 3, 1 R, 1 BB, 2 K
Andres Perez & Jose Gil: both 1 for 4, 1 R – Perez doubled … Gil drove in a run & K’ed
Tim Battle: 1 for 3, 1 R, 1 K
Chris Kunda: 2 for 3, 1 R, 1 2B, 2 RBI, 1 CS
Chris Garcia: 7 IP, 7 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 10 K, 9-1 GB/FB – that’s what I’m talking about
Mike Dunn: 2 IP, zeroes, 3 K, 3-0 GB/FB

Low-A Charleston (4-2 loss to Savannah)
Austin Krum: 0 for 5
Justin Snyder: 1 for 3, 1 R, 1 2B, 1 BB, 1 SB, 1 E (fielding)
Jesus Montero: 2 for 4, 1 RBI – can he get his SLG over .500 before the end of the season?
Bradley Suttle, Brandon Laird & Abe Almonte: all 1 for 4 – Suttle & Almonte each K’ed twice … Laird hit a solo jack … Almonte also swiped a bag
Carmen Angelini: 0 for 3, 1 HBP – 1 for his last 14 (.071)
Ryan Zink: 6 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 5 K, 9-3 GB/FB
Craig Heyer: 1.2 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 0 BB, 0 K, 4-1 GB/FB
Jon Ortiz: 1.1 IP, 2 H, 2 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 2 K, 1 HB – allowed both inherited runners to score for the blown save

Short Season Staten Island (9-1 win over Lowell)
Ray Kruml (11) & Jack Rye (13): both 2 for 4, 2 R – Kruml drew a walk & committed a fielding error … Rye doubled
David Adams (3): 1 for 4, 1 R, 1 2B, 1 RBI, 1 BB
Dan Brewer (8): 2 for 5, 1 R, 1 2B, 2 RBI, 1 K – 8 doubles in his last 10 games
Mike Lyon (24): 2 for 4, 1 R, 1 HR, 3 RBI, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 E (throwing)
Jahdiel Santamaria & Taylor Grote: both 0 for 3, 1 RBI – Santamaria was hit by a pitch & scored a run … Grote K’ed three times
Mitch Abeita (19): 1 for 4, 1 BB, 1 PB
Roy Gomez: 1 for 3, 1 R, 1 BB
Casey Erickson: 5 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 6 K, 1 WP, 6-3 GB/FB – 47 K in his last 38.1 IP
Mike Obradovich: 2 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 K, 1-4 GB/FB
Jason Kiley: 2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 K, 4-2 GB/FB

Rookie GCL Yanks (5-4 win over GCL Braves) season ends tomorrow
Emerson Landoni: 2 for 4, 2 K
Kyle Higashioka (7), Jimmy Paredes, Garrison Lassiter (17) & Mitch Delaney (21): all 0 for 4 -Higashioka K’ed … Paredes scored a run & K’ed … Lassiter K’ed twice & is obviously a bust … Delaney scored a run & K’ed twice
Zoilo Almonte: 2 for 4, 1 R, 1 2B, 1 HR, 2 RBI, 2 K
Chad Gross (28): 1 for 3, 1 R, 1 HR, 2 RBI, 2 K
Alvaro Ramirez: 2 for 3, 1 R, 1 2B
Chris Smith (5): 1 for 3, 1 2B, 1 RBI, 1 K – 2 for his last 18 (.111) … rockin’ a .392 OPS
Mikey O’Brien (9): 4.1 IP, 9 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 1 BB, 5 K, 4-4 GB/FB
Clint Preisendorfer (42): 1.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 1 K, 1-3 GB/FB
Rich Martinez: 2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 2 K, 4-0 GB/FB
Shawn Joy: 1 IP, zeroes, 3-0 GB/FB

Categories : Down on the Farm

1. A.D. says:

Garcia going to start in Trenton next year? He and Z-Mac could be a hell of a 1-2 punch in the AA rotation

2. TurnTwo says:

maybe Chris Malec gets a go in the AzFL?

3. A.D. says:

Could be a real cluster of arms in the minors next year, figure:

Wright
    Aceves
    Igawa
    Marquez
    Horne (if hes healthy)
    Hacker
    Jones
    Coke
    Kontos
    Z-Mac
    Garcia

should all be in the AA & AAA rotations, now Coke could go to pen, and this doesn’t even count Hughes and IPK, which aren’t a lock to start in the bigs, nor Nova or Pope if they pitch well enough to move it.

Don’t want to potentially stunt players, somethings got to give

• Ed D says:

brackman too

• Steve H says:

Out of all of these guys, some are bound to develop into major leaguers. Clearly they won’t all pan out, but this is certainly the most potential arms we’ve had in years.

• Hitman says:

You completely left out De La Rosa. Jones will be released to make room. Coke will probably head to the bullpen as will Marquez. That frees up 3 spots in AAA but they’ll still have Kontos, Hacker, Aceves, Kennedy and Igawa. Wright might be the odd man out. It’s going to be between him and Hacker I suppose.
      The real problem will be what happens if MaCallister and De La Rosa pitch like they have this season in Trenton. The yankees would have no choice but to move them to AAA and demote a couple of guys to AA who may not deserve to be demoted.

• A.D. says:

why would Jones necessarily get released? Igawa is the real name that sticks out, he’s taking up a rotation spot when he’s been demoted to uselessness.

Forgot about De La Rosa

• Emac2 says:

Who was it that said the other day we didn’t have enough pitchers to make a trade?????

4. A.D. says:

Brackman, Garcia or Marquez to AFL?

5. TurnTwo says:

i would guess you have to see Matt Carson get some ABs in Sept, being as though he’s either gotta be put on the 40 man roster or be made available and perhaps taken in the Rule V draft, right?

• Mike A. says:

He can become a 6-year MiL free agent after the year if he’s not added to the 40-man. He’s just a really good org guy, not worth the 40-man spot in my opinion.

6. Jamal G. says:

So Mike, is Reegie Corona a real prospect? Meaning, can we reasonably expect him to be an heir to Derek Jeter or are our (trying saying that three times fast) best in-house options Carmen Angelini and Garrison Lassiter (you were just waiting to make a crack about his hot start, weren’t you?)?

7. E-ROC says:

Mike, do you think the Yanks would rush Chris Garcia through the system, given his fragility?

8. D.B. says:

hey Mike,
    what ever happened to Carlos Urena and Prilys Cuello?

9. Jamal G. says:

Mets bullpen, you just gave up a game-tying 2B to Eric Bruntlett. FAIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. A.D. says:

Is Garcia a rule V after this year?

• Mike A. says:

Yeah, but he’s not worth protecting. If someone wants to try to keep him on their 25-man roster all year, more power to them. I’m certain he’ll get offered back at some point.

• Emac2 says:

I totally disagree – Too high a ceiling to leave unprotected and pitchers like that can help a MLB team out of the pen.

11. Ivan says:

I like A-Rod and I think he gets under appreciated and inrationally killed by fans/media.

For the first time this season to say the least, I was absolutely ticked at him. I was mad like crazy.

And I knock people who inrationally knock A-Rod, but I gotta knock guys (like Jamal) who inrantionally defend him. Sometimes you gotta see with ya eyes, A-Rod not doing great in spots like that. He needs to step up period.

Morning, I clean the slate. Yankees have two games. Win em and we in good shape. A-Rod, I love ya man, and Im cleaning the slate.

I have confidence in A-Rod but not great confidence and he’s gonna earn some of it and I know he can do it. Just focus man.

As for the yanks, he we get em next time and the main point is to take 2 out of 3. Just stay calm yankee fans.

PS: The mets suck ass.

• Jamal G. says:

I wasn’t defending him. I never once said he didn’t deserved to be booed for his performance tonight. My gripes were booing him while he was making defensive plays and the fans being so light on everyone else in the lineup.

How can I defend someone who’s Out:AB ratio was 1.4?

• Ivan says:

I don’t like when fans boo people just to boo and what they did to A-Rod when he was on defense was pretty weak.

At the same time, and I think you understand what Im trying to say, is that he fustrate me with shit like that when he could do much better.

I mean Pujols wouldn’t do that and A-Rod is just as talented as pujols as a hitter.

I still believe A-Rod is the guy for this team but he can’t do what he did tonight. Lets Go A-Rod, ya better than that.

Again as for the yanks, people were crazy to say they need to sweep. Just take two out of three and the yankees can certainly do it with the last two games. A-Rod, we need you.

• Ben K. says:

Can we try to keep the A-Rod comments in either the game thread or the soon-to-come game post please? DotF is for the day’s minor league results. There are plenty of places to talk about tonight’s game.

12. Jamal G. says:

Gary Cohen: “The Mets don’t score tack-on runs”

Gary, the Mets scored two runs in the first inning and ultimately led 7-0. What more could you possibly want? Just blame the woeful bullpen, it’s OK.

• Ivan says:

Well if the mets lose, at least it will make my night feel a little bit better.

• JohnnyC says:

As much as people deride the Yankees broadcasting teams through the years, is there more of a homer working the TV booth than Cohen. When he was on radio a couple of years ago, during a Subway Series game at Shea that the Yankees lost pretty convincingly he leaned out of the booth and waved bye-bye to Yankees fans as they left the game early. On the air! Creep.

13. NYFan50 says:

Hm, maybe I’m mistaken but I haven’t seen CoJo’s name anywhere recently. Any idea where he has been?

• Mike A. says:

Didn’t play today, yesterday the box wasn’t updated until late, and Sunday they were off. Maybe that’s why you haven’t seen his name lately. I hadn’t noticed.

14. Ivan says:

Lets say if Montero gets 20HR’s and 55-60XBH, does he have a chance to be ranked in the top 20?

15. Mike A. says:

David Wright, hustle fail.

16. Jamal G. says:

Kenny Rogers, please shut your dumb, hick mouth:

“I don’t like it,” Rogers said after MLB announced Tuesday that instant replay will start being used this week. “I think that it overshot the mark by far just because, what, in a Yankee game someone didn’t get a homer? Please. It’s happened thousands of times. That’s part of the game. It’s the beauty of the game. Mistakes are made.”

17. TurnTwo says:

if there is a god, and i know there isnt, but please let Cole Hamels get a hit here.

18. Ivan says:

Boy how sweet it would it be if Heilman gives up the GW hit to Cole Hamels.

19. Ivan says:

Walk Off Homer here.

20. TurnTwo says:

wow, bases loaded, 2 outs, bottom of the 11th.

21. Reggie C. says:

Mike A.,

A Tampa rotation of Chris Garcia, McAllister, & Betances is a a hitter’s nightmare. I doubt Garcia or McAllister is gonna spend much time in Tampa. Assuming both stay healthy, I can see both in Double-A before mid-season 2009. Easily.

I’m just really dying to see Betances turn the corner. He’s the closest thing to unanimous top prospect we got, so i’d love to see this kid just turn into the beast of High-A.

One last thing. Does Brackman have to pitch well in Hawaii in order to start in High-A? Or are we all assuming he’s gonna skip Charleston.

22. Jamal G. says:

Since Joe Torre can’t gamer his Dodgers to a win over the Nationals, doesn’t that render him utterly useless?

23. Jamal G. says:

Is anybody else suffering some slow connection issues with their Optimum internet connection? For the past few days I could barely play Madden online because of the immense lag.

24. Mike A. says:

I love it, another inning for Heilman.

25. TurnTwo says:

and thats why, if you are trading for a 1B this offseason, you target Prince Fielder, no matter how fat he is, over Ryan Howard.

26. steve says:

Could somebody try to answer a few questions for me?

1) What has Brett Smith missed the season with?
    2) What happened to Josue Calzado – is he being made a pitcher?
    3) I heard Tim Battle has a good arm – you think he’ll be converted next year?
    4) What types of prospects go to the Arizona Fall League and Hawaii?

• Mike A. says:

1. Shoulder issues, as in multiple.
      2. Calzado’s being transitioned to the mound.
      3. Probably not, he’ll probably get released this summer.
      4. AzFL is more advanced guys, guys that are closer to the majors. Mostly AA and AAA, very few A guys mixed in. Hawaii is for the lower level guys, A ball and recent draftees.

27. yankeemonkey says:

Brett Myers up with the bases loaded and no outs. I don’t know if I can root for a positive outcome in this particular situation.

28. stuart says:

yeah where are the Arod groupies tonight..

just hit the ball hard to the outfield with the bases loaded…

he is a piece of work, yes let me hear all the excuses.

BTW the ump was terrible terrible tonght and Lawrie was out at 3rd that cost them 2 addtl. runs….

29. Hitman says:

If Garcia does well in AFL I could easily see him heading straight to trenton along with MaCallister and De La Rosa. That’s going one exciting pitching staff in 2009. Unfortunately the same can’t be said for the SWB rotation.

• Reggie C. says:

Its a good bet that IPK will start ’09 in Scranton. He should be there at least to mid season. I want to see domination, and he’ll probably deliver. At that point he’s a good midseason fill-in in case of injury. The arm will be loose and his confience high.

We can’t forget that Horne will again be stuck in Scranton, alongside Igawa. Chase Wright should also be up there. All in all, the Scranton rotation is built to win.

No prospects i agree (horne is 26 yrs old + injury prone = not a prospect). But Scranton should win a bunch of games.

30. Ed says:

What about Humberto Sanchez?

31. Northrop says:

Mike,

If Humberto Sanchez is selected, does he go to Hawaii or AzFL?

32. Old Ranger says:

To-night and tomorrow I go see SWB @ Buffalo, then Friday/Saturday @Rochester. Haven’t had time to see them for a while, they have some AA players I have wanted to see play against better players. I think Phil pitchers to-night, stats be dammed…I still go with what I see. I like to see the body language, attitude, motion, pitching time, pitch selection, movement, control and command. The hitters are a bit easier to gauge, just look for the keys. I hope they play good games, they have rapped up the title…well almost, but who is going to beat them? 27/08??