Aug

September return unlikely for Wang

After originally expected to return to the rotation in early September, Chien-Ming Wang will now be out until at least October. Joe Girardi has been incredibly optimistic with regards to injuries so far (“Jorge will just need a couple of days”), but he broke the news yesterday. While we all dispise Wang’s replacement, Sid Ponson, don’t forget that CMW had been getting pounded for more than a month prior to the injury.

Categories : Asides, Injuries

1. Zack says:

Buuuuuut, he also had strung together two very nice starts in a row. You can look at it that he had been getting rocked for over a month, or that he was clearly coming out of a funk and was returning to form when he got injured. I’d rather see it the latter way :)

2. nick blasioli says:

i was one who bashed ponson..he made me eat crow last night…why the hell wasnt nady playing…giambi is in a slump…mariano cant pitch if the score is tied…so let ramirez pitch until we get a lead…it all makes sense to me…

3. vinny-b says:

ponson’s defense, was very good.

he was ok.

4. jessica says:

Are you telling me that you rather see Ponson pitching than Wang pitching? Hopefully, you are just kidding.

Before injury, Wang basically had 4 bad games in a row. I am not saying Wang pitch good in those 4 games. But when you look at those 4 games carefully, three of 4 games Girardi simply left Wang in too long. These three games easily can go from terriblely to decently. The other one is Melky’s costly error leading to those runs.

On top of that, when you looking batting AVG and OPS against Wang and Ponson, there is no comparison between them. Ponson has been extremely lucky so far this season when you consider how many base runners he put on base. Of course, as a Yankees fan, I hope this magic won’t disappear.

• Mike A. says:

Are you telling me that you rather see Ponson pitching than Wang pitching?

What? No, I didn’t say that at all. I’d rather see just about anyone out there instead of Ponson.

• jessica says:

that’s what I thought. I think you are just kidding. As a Taiwanese from Eastern culture, sorry about not understanding western style humor.

5. Mulls says:

im not the biggest wang fan and now that jobas emerged at least the days of him being our ”ace” are long gone

6. Steve says:

“While we all dispise Wang’s replacement, Sid Ponson, don’t forget that CMW had been getting pounded for more than a month prior to the injury.”

Is that supposed to imply that we don’t miss him? You’re out on a limb with that one.

Are you one of the people who thinks were REALLY going to miss Kyle Farnsworth as well?

7. Mike says:

1 earned run in 14.1 innings before the injury is not “pounded” by definition of the word.