Sep

Humberto Sanchez called up

Mike Ashmore’s got the word. After missing most of the last 2 years due to Tommy John surgery and various other ailments, Sanchez will become the first player the Yanks received in the Gary Sheffield deal to reach the bigs. The 6’6″, 270 lb monster will work out of the pen, as you’d expect. I can’t wait.

Categories : Asides

1. Manimal says:

Speaking of the devil. You think he will actually pitch? or just for looksies.

2. E-ROC says:

Damn, is Sanchez really that big? He might be in the wrong sport. Mike, do you think he’ll stay as a reliever, or move back to being a starter?

RIP Tim Lincecum. Don’t mind me, I’m just getting ready. He’s getting Bochy-rized.

3. Ivan says:

If he is pitching though, I would be intrigued what he does. The first time (and last time) I saw him pitch was the futures game in 06. I was quite impress with his stuff.

Well next season is there a chance he makes the big league team in the BP or put him in lets say AAA to work on his game and build innings?

• Ben K. says:

Depends what they want him to do, long-term. If they view him as a starter, they may start him in the minors to stretch him out. If they view him as a reliever, as I believe they do, there’s no reason why he wouldn’t be in the pen in April if he has a good spring training.

4. Jamal G. says:

God Damn, talk about dominance. Carlos Zambrano had a 10/1-K/BB ratio, 13/4-GB-FB ratio, and threw 73 of his 110-pitches for strikes (66%).

5. Manimal says:

does anyone know what A-jax complete playoff stats were for this year

6. Manimal says:

Tony Franklin(Trenton’s Manager) was added to the yankees coaching staff.

7. Jamal G. says:

Wow, the White Sox are doing their best New York Mets impersonation.

8. BigBlueAL says:

Farnsworth just gave up a Grand Slam to Dewayne Wise!!!!

9. Brandon says:

Finally Humberto’s coming home !

BTW Yankees FO reward Colin Curtis’s .414 postseason :)

10. Hitman says:

There’s no point to making him a starter. He’s proven his arm can’t handle the workload for whatever reason plus at this point it’ll take too long for him to get his innings up. He’s going to be 26 next year and won’t be ready to be a starter for maybe two more seasons. Ultimately what I want to see is him and Melancon sharing closing duties pitching 2 innings at a time. That is if both prove they’re equally as effective.

• radnom says:

Um, I hear there is this other guy…fuck whats his name…Rivera? Yeah, I heard they want him to close, but I dunno if hes any good.

11. Yank Crank 20 says:

I think it’s refreshing how guys like Melancon and Sanchez are developing and ready to come up next year. The less the Yankees have to explore the $5 million a year middle reliever market the better.

12. Old Ranger says:

Melancon and Sanchez should complement each other very well. Both are good, but very different, just think next year (crossed fingers);
    Sanchez
    Robertson
    Melancon
    Coke
    Giese
    Albaladejo
    Brune
    Britton
    Marte
    Edwar
    Veras
    Mo
    12+ guys to choose from. One would think we should have a very good rounded BP next year…plus more on the way for 2009. Now, if we can get the defence (athletes) and CC we should be ok.

• jsbrendog says:

not only that but with that depth you can avoid tiring guys out by moving em around and shuffling the pen every once in awhile

13. jsbrendog says:

who else came in the sheffield trade?

14. Mike Pop says:

I wanna see him pitch so badd