Jan

The RAB Radio Show – January 22, 2009, Episode 10

I apologize in advance for some audio issues about 2/3 of the way into the show. We’re working to get these issues resolved, but a big part of it is Time Warner. Bear with us, and we’ll certainly improve on that aspect.

Arbitration is the big story. Like Ben, we lament Melky Cabrera’s settlement. How could his agent have thought he was worth $1.7 million? I don’t see the argument here. The Yankees caved, though, and that’s all that matters. Here’s to hoping for bigger things from the Melk Man in 2009.

The subject quickly changes to free agency, as we note that there are many free agents remaining for just a few teams. Where are guys like Orlando Hudson and Adam Dunn going to land? Mike and I run down the Type As and bigger-name Type Bs remaining. We have a few guesses for most, but one has us stumped.

Then it’s onto reader Q & A. We got some good ones this week. Hopefully next week we’ll be able to take some live callers.

Onto the podcast. It is available in a number of formats. You can download it here by right clicking on that link and selecting Save As. If you want to play it in your browser, just left click the link. You can also subscribe to the podcast feed, which will send it to you every Thursday. You can also subscribe in iTunes. Finally, we have the embedded audio player below.

We appreciate any feedback. You can leave it in the comments or email either of us.

Categories : Podcast

1. Manimal says:

Let me guess, was it Manny?

2. I wish we would sign one more type A……Mr. Ben Sheets.

3. UNION YES. says:

I have a random question: Sometimes I’ll be watching the Simpsons or Daily show and I’ll hear some sort of variation of “mmmm that’s good _______!” What is this in reference to? Johnny Carson, Jackie Gleason? I have no idea.

4. Should be working says:

You guys ever think of using Ventrilo instead of Skype? May help with your lag/breaking up issues.

5. The Honorable Congressman Mondesi says:

Listening to the first 5 minutes or so and the discussion of Melky’s 2009 salary (and what he may have gotten in arbitration)… Trying to think of good comps for Melky at this stage in his career. It’s really tough, I suppose because we tend to remember the standout performances more than the pedestrian (or poor) performances. Maybe Doug Glanville, minus the SBs? The problem with Melky is the guys I think of as comps, for the most part, stole more bases than Melky steals. For what it’s worth, Glanville got about $2 million when he was arbitration-eligible in 2000. Man. It’s not much compared to what the stars are paid, but damn. That’s a ton of money for these guys.

• Sweet Dick Willie says:

According to B-Ref, similar batters through age 23: #8 – Johnny Damon, FWIW.

• The Honorable Congressman Mondesi says:

FWIW

This is going to come off much more antagonistic than I mean it to… But that’s really not worth anything. Not to mention that it’s irrelevant in a conversation about Melky’s salary.

• You’re a stupid jerkface.

I mean that in the nicest possible sense.

• Sweet Dick Willie says:

It doesn’t seem antagonistic to me, because I just referenced what B-Ref said (and added a FWIW).

In your comment, you posited Trying to think of good comps for Melky at this stage in his career..

B-Ref says that Melky and Damon were somewhat similar statistically at age 23.

• Mike Pop says:

Agree with ya there.

• The Honorable Congressman Mondesi says:

Ok. I assumed the reason you brought up Damon in particular, even though he’s number 8 on the list and there are 7 guys ahead of him, is because Damon has had a good career and you were trying to defend Melky or something (even though I didn’t really attack him above). I actually still think that’s why you brought up Damnon, because I don’t know why you’d pick out his name and not the 7 guys B-Ref says are better comps for Melky. But Damon’s irrelevant as a comp no matter the motivation for throwing his name into the discussion.

The point is to look at comps in the first year of arbitration eligibility. So this age 23 thing doesn’t mean anything. In 1998, at age 24, the year before Damon first hit arbitration, he put up a .277/.339/. 439 with 18 HR, 26 SB, 84/58 K/BB, and a 100 OPS+. That is MILES ahead of what Melky did last year (not to mention the fact that Damon was a MUCH more highly-regarded prospect than Melky ever was). So… I still say it’s irrelevant.

• Mike Pop says:

Okay fartface.

• Sweet Dick Willie says:

The main reason I reference Damon was because the 7 players listed above him are from prior generations. It was in no way an attempt to defend Melky.

Although I’m not as down on Melky as RAB, I must admit that his trend line doesn’t look good. Another year like ’08 and I’ll jump on the anti-Melky bandwagon.

• steve (different one) says:

Endy Chavez.

Melky was not overpaid in the context of first year arbitration eligible CFers.

argue that the system is broken, that’s fine, but the Yankees were NOT getting away with paying Melky much less than the $1.2M they offered him.

6. Mike Pop says:

I would move Nady for Dukes in a heartbeat guys, that’s the only thing I disagree with you on. Obviously I would want another player or two for the farm who have potential but I make that trade. An hour…damn lol. I listened to it all though, your right there is no way to keeep baseball chatter short. Dukes has all those years left for team control, he lowers payroll, and he has a chance to be sooo good. It is a risk worth taking in my opinion. If Dukes plays a whole season, he could be better than Nady and he would probably hit close to 30 HR’s.

• Sweet Dick Willie says:

Not a snowball’s chance in hell the Yanks acquire Dukes. If you haven’t noticed, they prefer the corporate types (Jeter, Tino, O’Neill, Bernie, Mo, Tex etc) as opposed to the loose cannons.

Sure, they’ll occasionally take a flier on a head case (Raul Mondesi, Ruben Sierra – this 1st time), but that is the exception, not the rule. And Dukes almost makes those guys look like stand-up citizens.

That’s not to say you’re wrong about him hitting 30 HRs. He might. Just not for the Yanks.

7. Mike Pop says:

I have a fear in the back of my mind that Dunn ends up going to the Red Sox.

• pat says:

Eh they have even less room for him than we do. Unless they push drew to center which would be pretty humorous.

• Sweet Dick Willie says:

Where’s he gonna play? Bay, Drew & Dunn is a significantly defensively challenged outfield.

I don’t think Theo would do it, unless he feels that Ortiz has NOTHING left.

• Mike Pop says:

Ya but I would never rule the “Einstein” out of anything.

• The Honorable Congressman Mondesi says:

Yeah, but it’s also a signficantly offensively AWESOME outfield, isn’t it? I’m not saying I’d be excited about it if I were a Sox fan, but it’s not like it’s out of the realm of things you’d consider. We’d consider Swisher in CF because of the offensive upgrade over the alternatives, right? (I know it’s not the same as Swish in CF, especially since neither of our corner OFs in that case would be as bad defensively as Dunn, but it’s not that different conceptually.)