Sep

Game 157: More scrubs, please

Note: Apparently the tarp is down, and we’re in a delay. The weather forecast includes showers, but they should clear up by 8. Something tells me that if the delay lasts longer than an hour or so, they might call this one. But we’ll keep you updated.

After the Yankees clinched the division yesterday, I figured we’d see a lineup full of the secondary players today. That is not the case. A few regulars made their ways into the lineup, including Jorge Posada and Johnny Damon, both of whom didn’t play yesterday. Still, we’ll see a number of players today who wouldn’t have sniffed a pennant chase.

The D lineup gets a chance against former first overall pick Luke Hochevar. That draft featured Brandon Morrow, Clayton Kershaw, Tim Lincecum, Kyle Drabek, and Max Scherzer on the pitching side, and Evan Longoria on the offensive side. Hochevar wasn’t a bad pick, but even discounting hindsight there were plenty better first overall picks that year. Then again, from what I remember Andrew Miller was atop the rankings in that class, but the Royals passed because of bonus demands.

After eight dominant starts to start the season in AAA, in which Hochevar allowed just eight runs in 48 innings, the Royals called him up to start on May 12. Disaster ensued. He pitched 11.2 innings over three starts that month, allowing 14 runs. June was an easier month, as Hochevar allowed 11 runs in 33.2 innings, holding opponents to a .565 OPS. It wouldn’t last. From July 4 through September 6, Hochevar allowed 53 runs over 69.2 innings, his OPS against spiking to .909.

At some point before his September 12 start against Cleveland, someone suggested he was tipping his pitches — unfortunately, the Kansas City Star article has since been removed. This, I’ve come to believe, is merely a confidence booster. Whether mental or physical, it didn’t matter for Hochevar, as he allowed five runs in five innings on September 12. He came back strong, though, pitching a complete game shutout against the White Sox on September 18. But then he slipped back into a hole, allowing six runs over five innings against Boston last week.

For the Yanks it’s Chad Gaudin, who continues his audition for a postseason roster spot. Since moving to the rotation at the beginning of September he’s been serviceable, allowing eight runs over 20 innings. The problem with Gaudin is that he doesn’t go deep into games. Just once since coming to New York has he finished six innings, that start coming against Tampa Bay. That’s hurt his win-loss record: the Yankees are 4-0 in his starts this month (and 5-0 in all of his starts), but his lone Yankee win came in his first appearance, which was in relief.

I’d expect to see lineups like this for the whole KC series. Perhaps we’ll see the regulars all play on Saturday and Sunday in Tampa Bay. But until then, enjoy the scrubs.

Lineup, in which there is only one pure right-handed hitter. Robinson Cano‘s presence could suggest that Jerry Hairston isn’t quite ready to play. Johnny Damon was a late scratch. Girardi says it was a precautionary measure because of the rain.

1. Brett Gardner, CF
2. Melky Cabrera, LF
3. Robinson Cano, 2B
4. Jorge Posada, DH
5. Eric Hinske, 3B
6. Shelley Duncan, RF
7. Juan Miranda, 1B
8. Francisco Cervelli, C
9. Hipolito Ramiro Pena, SS

And on the mound, number forty-one, Chad Gaudin.

Categories : Game Threads

334 Comments

1. Ben S says:

Lineup change according to Marc Carig:
    Gardner 8
    Cabrera 7
    Cano 4
    Posada DH
    Hinske 5
    Duncan 9
    Miranda 3
    Cervelli 2
    Pena 6

2. The Artist says:

Wow, am I glad I gave away these tickets.

3. So which player gets to manage on the last day?

4. Esteban says:

Why not Hairston at 2nd, Freddy Guzman playing RF, and Shelley DHing?

5. Pasqua says:

As per Sweeney Murti on WFAN today:

Yankees vs. Boston, Anaheim, Detroit before All-Star Break: 4-13

Yankees vs. Boston, Anaheim, Detroit after All-Star Break: 15-2

Yowzahs.

Now, granted, 8 losses against Boston to start the year skews the first record when considering all 3 playoff teams, but the last number is a thing of beauty.

6. Mike Axisa says:

Attention everyone.

I would like to point out that not only did I beat tommiesmithjohncarlos in fantasy football this week, I destroyed him. As of right now, the score is 111.84-69.74, and I got zero points out of T.O. and I still have Carolina’s defense going tonight. At worst, I will defeat him by 38.1 points.

That is all.

7. yankeegirl49 says:

While we are in delay, so are the Twins/Tigers. MLB network is going to show the Sox/Jays game until Twins/Tigers start. Beckett scratched due to back spasms.

8. baravelli says:

How come Susyn Waldman’s doing the game on the radio tonight? Shouldn’t she be at Neilah?

9. Salty Buggah says:

I run home from the bus stop even with my legs cramping all day so don’t miss the start of the game but I come to find out that the game is delayed and that my sisters ate all of my food. Now I have to eat a fuckin sandwich. This sucks.

10. Dela G says:

just got back from class… too bad its in rain delay :(

11. wilcymoore says:

You know, that lineup IS still better than the Mets’ current lineup.

12. Andy in Sunny Daytona says:

Tyler Hansboro is the Patron Saint of Lost Dogs.

13. Dela G says:

wow the bluejays are starting to pelt whomever this bosox pitcher is

vernon well just hit a double

14. Dela G says:

blue jays leading 4-0 top first against michael bowden

15. J.R. says:

Damn Anibal Sanches has thrown 17 pitches (14 balls) in the marlins game.

16. Johan Iz My Brohan says:

If only the Rangers were still in the wild card races….

17. Salty Buggah says:

Snider always stinks against the Sox

18. Eddy Southwick says:

lol, this lineup is still better than what the mets put out

19. Salty Buggah says:

Red Sox LOVE their weak monster shots (though Youkilis hit this one well)

• Dela G says:

screw that homerun by yuckilis

• scooter says:

Fortunately Big Juicer didn’t load up on the Special Sauce before the game

Funny how all Gammons-hyped Sox pitching prospects have struggled. Bowden’s been hit hard. Tazawa’s WHIP is over 2, and Masterson’s been whacked pretty hard for Cleveland

20. Salty Buggah says:

Check out these 2-seam changeups (at 91 mph though) by King Felix

That much movement at 91 = Crazy

21. Dela G says:

scott richmond is garbage

22. Salty Buggah says:

cmon Richmond, you cant walk Ellsbury! He stinks

23. Dela G says:

damn, minn vs detroit officially postponed to tomorrow

24. Dela G says:

25. chriskeo says:

What do you guys think, should I buy mlb.tv for the last week of the season for $15, i want to try it out for next year, for those of you guys who have it, is it worth it and what do you think of it.
    (I live in the New York area so Yankees games are blacked out for me)

• Dela G says:

i have mlb.tv

best purchase i’ve ever made… until my parents got me extra innings.

Its def worth it. You get to watch the entire game from the perspective of both booths, listen to the radio of either team, and you get the gameday premium (which lets you go to mlb.com and watch gameday with a ton of stats like avg fastball, velo of pitches, etc)

You can watch the games in HD with about a 5 second delay, which isn’t that bad at all. Or you can watch in standard definition and the games aren’t delayed at all and are real-time/live.

Well worth it bro

• SamVa says:

I love it, I live in Richmond, Virginia and it gave me a way to watch every game they play (outside of baltimore series’) I would highly recommend it. I have premium, though I find that I rarely use the higher quality as it only works when you are the only person on your internet. I don’t know why you want it if you live in New York, but if you have the cash go for it.

• scooter says:

Chris – I live in DC. MLB.TV is the only way I get to see YES and the Yankees – unless I’m visiting the family

If you’re asking about the picture quality – it’s as good as your internet pipe lets it be. It’s pretty darn good

You will be blacked out on Yankee games. It’s a lot to pay if you’re just going to check in on other games now and then. (I watch the Yankees – and that’s pretty much it)

If you watch a lot of baseball, it’s great

• Peedlum says:

I live in LA and I got the MLB.TV package for the first time this year, though I used a buddies password a couple of times last year. I have gotten the Directv package at home for about 6 or 7 years, but the fiance is not a baseball fan, so I watch the games at work starting around 4 pm. The picture quality got a LOT better this year and with the “nexdef” high definition option (comes with the premium subscription that costs a little more) you also get tivo like functionality which works really well once you figure out its quirks (like how the fast forward and rewind work so that you don’t end up in a different part of the game–use the slider bar and watch the timer to the right of it if you are watching behind live or you’ll end up ahead in the game). It can be a little buggy, but I think that’s more because of too many users in LA sucking up bandwidth than the actual product. The ability to pause to deal with work stuff is a plus, and the ability to skip the in between innings is always useful. All in all I’ve been quite happy with it. Oh, and I called Directv and got them to give me about a $150 in incentives to justify the extra cost of the mlb.tv package, so that’s a tactic you can try to save a couple of bucks and/or justify the extra expense.

26. Salty Buggah says:

Neil Best: Still, and I hate to be a party pooper here, but the increasingly ritualized practice of baseball teams spraying and/or consuming bubbly after every postseason achievement has gotten as stale as the carpeting in the Yankees’ plush new clubhouse after Sunday’s deluge.

Loser!

27. Salty Buggah says:

Wow, Bowden just walked Wells!

• scooter says:

I just saw Wells’ home/away splits. He’s actually pretty good away from Toronto.

*gasp* Michael Kay was right

28. Salty Buggah says:

HAHAHA! 3-run HR for Rod Barajas. A monster shot but hit very very well. Bowden stinks, 7 ER.

29. scooter says:

Barajas just hit a 3-run homer off Bowden – high FB crushed over the wall

Bowden has to live down in the zone – and man, he’s not even close to doing that tonight

30. Drew says:

Ha Barajas ftw

31. Johan Iz My Brohan says:

So how much should the Yankees offer Bowden to be their batting practice pitcher?

32. Tom Zig says:

I guess Posada had to play eventually.

33. Salty Buggah says:

Youkilis padding his HR stats, now this one went into the 1st row of the Monster.

34. Salty Buggah says:

Richmond sucks really really bad.

35. Dela G says:

rod barajas FTW

36. Bold (non-bold) prediction: Jake Delhomme bounces back and outplays the beleaguered Tony Romo tonight. Cowboys still win, though, on a Felix Jones big play.

37. SamVa says:

tarp off via pete

38. Salty Buggah says:

Sweet. 8:55 start time

39. Andy in Sunny Daytona says:

Bautista Smash.

40. Dela G says:

Jose Bautista 2 run homer

9-3 blue jays

blue jays FTW

41. Salty Buggah says:

HAHAHA! Deeeeeeeep Monster shot for Jose Bautista off Hunter Jones. 9-2 Jays.

• scooter says:

Out onto Landsdowne St – wonder if it hit a car window

Man…. if only the Rangers didn’t suck this month. The loss last night was unreal – gave up all TB’s runs after 2 outs in the 8th inning. Francisco melted down in the 9th – pretty much as he did vs the Red Sox that one night

42. Nels says:

8:55 start.

43. Dela G says:

hooray for a 7:55 cst start

44. Andy in Sunny Daytona says:

The Toronto announcers are always so polite.

45. Andy in Sunny Daytona says:

Jenna Elfman is unwatchable. I would bet the show gets cancelled before the baby is born.

46. DreDog says:

Remember when Bowden was a rumored trade piece? Yeah, those were the days.

47. Dela G says:

heidi watney is sooooooooooooooo hot

wow NESN hotties FTW!

48. Salty Buggah says:

Seriously, is our lineup tonight as good as, if not better, than the Royals lineup?

49. Dela G says:

wow i love how the sox are throwing batting practice tonight

this is fucking awesome

50. Mike bk says:

who said the YES network didnt show the minors since we have the scranton lineup out there tonight.

51. Salty Buggah says:

Are the Yanks going to let the SI Little League kids play? They might as well against the Royals

52. Shelley is so much taller than everyone else.

53. sal says:

is that Kc in blue next to the yankees

lmao

54. Gordon really fell off the table this year, didn’t he?

55. Dela G says:

can you believe that for 100000 dollars, the yankees got a pitcher with a better ERA in the AL east than the ~14 million paid to smoltz and penny?

LOL Smiley face

[/trey song’d

56. The Artist says:

2 hour rain delay, Gaudin pitching.

Maybe, I make it to the 4th inning tonight. Maybe.

57. Mike Axisa says:

Yuniesky Betancourt is awful. It’s amazing that a team could go from Angel Berroa to Betancourt in a three year span and downgrade.

58. JSquared says:

I feel like Gaudin would be really good with an Aceves Curveball.

59. The Artist says:

Coney with the BR references.

60. Salty Buggah says:

I wonder how much money Shelley has made in his career so far

• Dela G says:

enough to be a career minor leaguer i guess

they get great medical benefits

• King of Fruitless Hypotheticals says:

i hate HATE to say this…but i bet a lot of the AAA guys get more than i do a year, especially if you factor in major league call ups.

i can’t find time for the gym, they work out…AT WORK. with a trainer. and ice bags…oh, the glorious ice bags…and clean towels. MAN! if i had that many clean towels i’d…nm…

61. Mike Axisa says:

Mike Jacobs, also awful.

62. Brazilian Yankee says:

I wish they would give real scouting reports with the pitches that guy throws, speed and all that good stuff.

63. Mike Axisa says:

Luke Hochevar was the balls in MVP 06 NCAA Baseball. Him and Brian Bogusevic.

64. Dela G says:

grit is a very fast man

65. The Artist says:

Since they’re talking about those late-70s teams, I was watching the replay of the ‘Bucky Dent’ game last night. The 1 game playoff (play-in game) to break the tie at the end of the 78 season.

Just one problem, calling it ‘The Bucky Dent’ game is a misnomer.

Yeah, he hit a 3-Run HR (Hit 5 all year) that put the Yanks up 3-2, but Reggie added a ‘tack-on’ 2 run HR the next inning. Gossage comes in, gives up 2 runs in his 2nd inning of relief. Then Goose settled down and closed it out, game ends 5-4.

So Reggie’s HR turned out to be the deciding run, but nobody ever talks about it.

66. Salty Buggah says:

Will A-rod get 200 hits in a season again?

67. Dela G says:

great job jorgie

68. King of Fruitless Hypotheticals says:

hey…did he just call ramiro pena a hoplite? hell yeah!

PENA IS SPARTACUS!!!

69. Salty Buggah says:

Thats sucks for Hinske.

Shift happens.

70. Question: what kind of effect does “the shift” have on UZR?

71. Dela G says:

Alberto Callaspo

was an awesome name

rolls off the tongue

72. That slider was dirty.

73. JobaWockeeZ says:

So would you put Guzman on the postseason roster or put Joba and Guadin?

74. The Artist says:

When you look at how many Yanks have had good seasons, you have to give Eiland and Long some credit. Lord knows they’d get blamed if a bunch of guys had off years.

I know the Yanks have plenty of veterans who don’t need much help, but they’ve also worked in a lot of young guys who had to make all sorts of adjustments.

• Didn’t Swisher say during the champagne party yesterday that all the hitters were looking to douse K-Long, since he was integral to their success?

• JSquared says:

• The Artist says:

That’s a good one, Swisher had a awful 08 season. Let me roll a few more off:

-People would have laughed at you in March if you told them Brett Gardner would hit .280/.350
        -Chad Gaudin, as Kay and Cone have been detailing
        -Melky has been decent this year after an awful 08
        -Cano has bounced back at the plate and at 2B
        -Aceves had to rework his curveball, which he has
        -Alex’s approach at the plate has been great all year

They can’t all be coincidences. There have also been plenty of guys who haven’t been good, but I think they’ve both made a difference. We’ve had other pitching coaches in recent years who didn’t seem to add much.

75. JFH says:

19.2 seconds for big sloppy to round the bases when they are getting hammered. stay classy sox. stay classy.

76. Nels says:

This series isn’t quite as exciting as Rosenthal imagined it would be at the beginning of the year, huh?
    By the way, it seems as though Fox has deleted that article from their site. To bad, I wanted to read it again for a couple laughs.

77. King of Fruitless Hypotheticals says:

cool to see KC trotted out their D lineup too…nice to see some ‘scrubs’ get some playing time…

78. JSquared says:

Mike, Any interesting minor leaguers eligible for the rule 5 draft?

79. Joba To The 11th! says:

Kay, listen to me, i know what inning joba belongs in…

80. Mike Axisa says:

So here’s one side of that “which ALDS will they take” argument no one’s considering: what if Joba pitches well and they decide to go with the the shorter series to force Detroit to use their fourth starter, whoever that is, and Leyland just says fuck it, and goes with Verlander on three days rest in Game 4?

• So here’s one side of that “which ALDS will they take” argument no one’s considering:

Hold on just a cotton-picking-minute!

tommiesmithjohncarlos a/k/a Ridiculous Upside says:
      September 14th, 2009 at 2:33 pm

Remember, our pitchers are only half the equation.

Whether it’s Detroit or Texas, I want to force them to either throw their fourth starter or bring back their ace on short rest. I still don’t see much reason why we’d pick the A Series.

• JSquared says:

I really think the offense can get to verlander in game 1, so im banking on a sweep. I’m guessing you go Joba though, tough call.

• Ivan says:

I can c that no question.

I would use Joba as back up starter in the 1st round especially with “The Good, The Bad and The Ugly” Burnett pitching one of those games.

81. Salty Buggah says:

I say we let Jeter be player-manager if Girardi leaves (or let go) in the future. Save money.

He might get a bit too bunt happy though (more than Girardi if you think he calls for too many bunts).

82. HOLY CRAP KAY AND CONE ARE EATING ICE CREAM AND TALKING ABOUT IT I’VE NEVER SEEN THIS ROUTINE BEFORE

83. Dela G says:

boy alex gordon 2009 FTL

84. Kay’s jumping the gun just a little bit, right? I mean, Gordon was a good player last year and was injured this year. He also just turned 26. Easy, Michael.

85. Man, both the Cowboys AND the Panthers look like crap.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

86. Mike Axisa says:

No, Michael Kay, you can’t second guess the Gordon pick. He was clearly the best player available. You can second guess their idiotic rushing of him through the minors, though.

87. Salty Buggah says:

soft pop to the pitcher? been a while since I saw that

88. Why doesn’t Kay say it’s “2000-Pedro like?” Can people please start realizing that season was better than Gibson’s 1968?

89. Dela G says:

man cone reppin fangraphs again!

90. Esteban says:

Cone busting out the Fangraphs reference. wow

91. David Cone LOOOOOOOOOOOVES FanGraphs.

92. I like that all of our 2009 rightfielders (Swisher, Hinske, Shelley, Melky, Nady), while they have wildly varied levels of defensive aptitude and production, all have one thing in common:

The ability to make everything look awkward.

93. Salty Buggah says:

Damn, Tex gets that. No no-no.

More fangraphs references!

94. JSquared says:

Did Lincecum’s Elias Ranking drop by 4 points?

95. King of Fruitless Hypotheticals says:

well, now that G’s no-hitter was blown (thanks asshole!), i’m going to go home.

NO, i cant listen to the game on XM, cause i’m too stupid to take the receiver out of the radio in my den where it doesnt get any signal…

i still think we win this game :D

96. Steve H says:

“Jake Delhomme leads the league in grit” -Jon Gruden

ugggh.

97. I’d vote 3 because I was there!

98. Salty Buggah says:

Pena needs to HR someday

99. Let that be a lesson: useless attempts at small ball end in pain.

100. The Artist says:

Cone and Singleton should do every game.

• yankeefan91 Arod fan says:

I like Cone a lot and Singleton is good but the thing that gets me mad he loves to talk a lot about his days in Baltimore in every game he does and it gets kinda annoying.

• whozat says:

Do you hate it because it’s the O’s, or do you hate it when other players do it too?

• yankeefan91 Arod fan says:

When other players do it to its ok you go back in time but Singleton does it a lot but other then that hes pretty good.

101. Dela G says:

hahaha that’s hilarious that cone still gets phone calls and text messages!

102. Time for a new ad, J&R.

103. W/o cheating on B-R, I wanna say Dice-BB.

104. The Artist says:

Yes or No. Is Mussina a Hall of Famer?

I say Yes, but it’ll take him 5-10 years.

105. Dela G says:

I am going to guess that they beat jon lester

106. yankeefan91 Arod fan says:

I think it was Matsusaka

107. Nels says:

I got my Pavement reunion concert tickets in the mail today.

108. The Artist says:

Somehow, I suspect that David Cone’s interest in the internet didn’t start out with Baseball statistics.

109. Drew says:

If nothing else, Mr. Gaudin is increasing that trade value.

110. Salty Buggah says:

When those balls hit the hard, what do they do with it? Give it out or clean it up and bring it back?

111. crapulent says:

Big Bang Theory (w/ guest star Lewis Black) > this game.

112. Mike Axisa says:

How hilarious would it be if Texas actually caught the Red Sox and they had to go play a one game playoff.

113. Dela G says:

great job cano

114. Dela G says:

hey we have something going

115. Salty Buggah says:

OK, now Jeter needs to get a hit while playing SS, and him and Cano will be the 1st DP partners ever to both get 200 hits in a season ever.

116. Esteban says:

UGGGH that LFer’s arm is awful

117. Drew says:

Hinske directing traffic.

118. Dela G says:

Hinske Delivers!

1-0!

119. The Artist says:

Hinske with your best shot!

120. Hinske said “Shift this.”

/crotch grab.

121. Joey says:

I desperately want a Shelly Smash!

122. Salty Buggah says:

Hinske>>>>Shift

123. The Artist says:

Hhahahahaahahah!!

Coney-”So Hinske says to himself ‘OK, I got yer shift right here! Ohhhhh!!”

124. Even when I’m only expecting him to whiff, Shelley still disappoints me.

125. Mike Axisa says:

The Yanks Z-lineup is beating the Royals A-lineup.

126. Apropos of seeing them on screen again during the MNF halftime show:

If the Seahawks are ever allowed to wear this:
    during a game against the Texans wearing this:
    The NFL will spontaneously combust.

127. Salty Buggah says:

Damnit Shelley, hit HRs again. CMon Juan, use that short porch.

128. Tom Zig says:

if this game were rained out would we really have to make it up?