Oct

A-Rod might not need second surgery

When Alex Rodriguez found out that he needed hip surgery this March, he faced two options. He could have a comprehensive surgery and miss four to five months, or he could have a less serious procedure and miss about two. He opted for the latter so he could help his team in May rather than in July. The decision paid off, as the Yankees hit their stride once A-Rod returned to the lineup.

One consequence of the less comprehensive surgery was that Alex would have to undergo another procedure after the season. But Alex has progressed so well this season that his doctor, Mark Philippon, thinks that he might be able to avoid that surgery.

“At this point in time, based on my clinical exam and what I saw in batting practice, I need [to do] a little more tests,” Philippon said. “But so far, I don’t think he will need surgery. . . . Clinically, we can’t be more pleased.”

Philippon said that Rodriguez’s hip was at about 75 to 80 percent when he returned in May, but is near 100 percent today. Avoiding the second surgery would be a big boost for Alex, who not only would avoid another invasive procedure, but would also avoid another long rehab regimen. The Yankees will be glad to have a fresh A-Rod in Spring Training next February.

Categories : Injuries

1. Rocky Road Redemption (formerly RAB poster) says:

That would be great. A-Rod at 100%, with a healthy Tex, is all kinds of awesome.

2. Andy in Sunny Daytona says:

Did you see him jumping after Tex hit the homer? I would say that his hip is just fine.

• Riddering says:

As unclinical as it is, I second this statement.

Every other walkoff he’s been a part off, Alex had to dodge out and twice or more grabbed his hip like it was causing him pain.

Last night, he was all over that shit with no signs of stopping. Magical hip prognosis ftw.

3. Accent Shallow says:

I’ll stay cautiously optimistic.

• gxpanos says:

Backed. Here’s hoping, but you cant rule the surgery out completely. Plus, I feel like it’s healthier for me as a fan to convince myself it’s not a done deal.

4. Mike bk says:

didnt we already find this out about a month ago and have a discussion about it? still good news again.

5. TheZack says:

Its weird that he wouldn’t need the second surgery, that the injury would just sort of heal itself. But heck, as long as it works.

6. ashish says:

I not remembering so someone please refresh my memory. This first surgery involved a metal plate or something right? The second surgery would remove that and use a tendon or something of that nature instead right?

• Chris says:

No, the first surgery was to repair the tear in his hip labrum. The second surgery would be to reshape the bones to improve flexibility and reduce the risk of more tearing.

• Upstate Nick says:

So there’s some sort of defect in the bone in his hip socket that caused the initial injury, right? I don’t see how that could have just disappeared on its own. In light of that, maybe he’ll have to have the corrective surgery again at some point.

For now, whatever, as long as we keep getting “A-bombs… from A-Rod!!!!111!!1!11″

7. steve (different one) says:

let’s see A-Rod get a big hip surgery when it counts!

8. Tripp says:

Wouldn’t the team want him to have the surgery now so that it’s taken care of now and not in the middle of season next year where there’s a chance it could tear again?

• Riddering says:

The point is–if the surgery isn’t a necessity, it’s better not to have it.

Which I think goes for most people.

• Tony says:

Nah, the human body isn’t capable of self-correcting internal structural deformities, no.

• Tom Zig says:

that wasn’t what was argued.

• Tony says:

That wasn’t what was argued?

He got the first surgery to address fraying in the joint that resulted from a misshapen ball joint in the hip socket. The second surgery was supposed to reshape that ball joint so it wouldn’t create tearing in the future. If someone wants to explain how the body magically reshapes bone/cartilage to precise specifications needed to avoid this kind of issue, I’m all ears. Right now, all I hear is “hip arthritis” which doesn’t sound too good to me, especially for our 35 year old 3B that’s signed for eleventy billion years are a bazillion per.

• Rocky Road Redemption (formerly RAB poster) says:

Are you in the medical profession?

• The Three Amigos says:

Arod’s body is not the body of a human. His body is capable of reshaping socket joints. In fact, the truth is he never got surgery in the first place, it was the Yankees evil shceme to get pressure off him due to his steriod allegations. His slump in June was him purposely messing up to lend credibility to his hip story and “Dr. Phillipon” is just an actor.

• Stuckey says:

“Right now, all I hear is “hip arthritis” which doesn’t sound too good to me, especially for our 35 year old 3B that’s signed for eleventy billion years are a bazillion per.”

Playing at maybe an average of 85%, he hit .286/30/100 in 120-something games.

Start worrying when the performance starts to suffer.

• Then what was argued?

If, as I understand it, the first procedure was done to fix damage caused by a structural condition and the second procedure would have been done to fix the actual structural condition that caused the damage in the first place, then that condition that caused the damage in the first place still exists, right? I’d think A-Rod’s doctors would be considering that aspect of this issue when determining his future course of treatment.

• Chris says:

It’s possible that through rehab and training he could condition his muscles to better support the joint. If it were actually bone on bone, then surgery would be the only option (actually,I think hip replacement would be the only option in that case), but there is a middle ground where it’s possible that simple rehab and strengthening of specific muscles in and around the joint could alleviate the stress that caused the initial tear.

• Cool, thanks, that’s interesting. Just curious – Are you a medical professional or student or something? I know nothing about any of this stuff, I appreciate the info.

(Just as a note to Tom Zig – I still don’t think this answers the question of what you meant when you cited TSJC’s comment if you didn’t mean that A-Rod’s hip socket cured itself. If I might paraphrase Chris, he’s saying A-Rod’s body may be able to compensate in other ways even if the condition still exists, not that his body somehow fixed the condition.)

9. Bryan G says:

Not entirely realted subject here, but did anyone else notice how chummy A Rod and Jeets were last night? They looked like fast friends in the dugout.

10. OldYanksFan says:

ARod is fine and that is an educated opinion.
    No I’m not a doctor…
    but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

11. GG says:

If I was Dr. Phillipon, I’d make a commercial out of last night for my practice.

12. [...] on a clinical exam, Dr. Marc Philippon thinks that A-Rod might be able to avoid the second, more serious hip surgery. If that’s not good news, I don’t know what [...]