Oct

Game 161: Just two more meaningless games to go

And so here we are, on the season’s penultimate day, going through the motions. Honestly, how many of you watched the whole game yesterday? It’s tough to stomach a game wherein the Rays score four first-inning runs and the ultimate outcome means nothing. Even the momentum factor is overstated.

There are but a few things to watch for tonight, and two of them involve home runs. If Mark Teixeira hits one, he’ll move into sole possession of first place in the AL, eclipsing the injured Carlos Pena. That would also set the Yankees’ single-season record for home runs. They’re currently tied with the 2004 team at 242.

The other thing is obviously Andy Pettitte, who gets his final tune-up start before the ALDS. Andy might take the ball again on Friday in Game 2, but it’s just as likely that he gets seven days off before a Game 3 start next Sunday. As with Sabathia, it doesn’t much matter how Pettitte fares. This game means nothing. His next start is what counts.

Jorge’s starting at catcher today. With tomorrow being a day game after a night game, one would expect Jose Molina to catch A.J. Burnett. It does appear that Molina will catch Burnett in the playoffs, odd as that decision may seem. There’s quite a robust discussion of the topic in the comments.

Lineup:

1. Brett Gardner, CF
2. Johnny Damon, LF
3. Mark Teixeira, 1B
4. Hideki Matsui, DH
5. Jorge Posada, C
6. Robinson Cano, 2B
7. Nick Swisher, RF
8. Eric Hinske, 3B
9. Jerry Hairston, SS

And on the mound, number forty-six, Andy Pettitte.

Categories : Game Threads

1. Dela G says:

i’ll check this game out after the twins finish

2. Dela G says:

Yo AJ Burnett, I’m really happy for you, and Ima let you finish,
    but The Twins/Royals is one of the best games of all time…OF ALL TIME!

3. dkidd says:

think joe sat miranda so he wouldn’t get drilled for his home run trot?

4. JMK aka The Overshare says:

Any good college football games tonight?

5. JMK aka The Overshare says:

Twins win.

6. Mike Axisa says:

Wow Twins. Just wow.

7. Dela G says:

fuck yeah twins

great job

8. Tom Zig says:

oh boy Derek Jeter is on the bench today, over/under 4.5 times Michael Kay mentions that he is a pest on the bench

9. Quikksand says:

Thanks twins! Now, go White sox go!

10. kunaldo says:

Ok, so with this whole crrrazy Molina-starting-in-the-playoffs thing seeming like it may be true, I have a question. If Burnett is going to pitch game 2, then he’s lined up to pitch game 5, obviously. I hope it doesn’t get that far, but if it does, does Girardi have the balls to play Molina in a do-or-die game???

Also, I still find it hard to believe POSADA would allow this. Obviously, Joe is the manager, but Jorgie would definitely be pissed if he sat in the playoffs, no?

11. Jose says:

Kim Jones asked Joe if he would continue the tradition of having a player manage the last game of the season since they have already clinched. He gave an inconclusive answer. I always found it to be amusing.

12. dkidd says:

hope tex doesn’t screw up his swing going for #40 a la soriano

13. The Artist says:

“Early speculation on a successor centered on Paul DePodesta, the former Dodgers GM who has been with the Padres since July 2006. He is in the first year of a three-year contract believed to be worth $800,000 per season.”

DePodesta is a modern GM and a very bright guy, but he didn’t exactly distinguish himself with the Dodgers. Not sure if there was some office politics involved, or ownership meddling, but he made some very bad deals.

• Mike Axisa says:

Sure he did. He brought in Penny, drafted Martin, Kemp, Loney, Billingsley…

• The Artist says:

Yeah, not as bad as I thought. Maybe he wasn’t all that media friendly, because the local writers were really out to get him in 05.

• JMK aka The Overshare says:

But how much of that is really the GM? Cashman didn’t really draft Hughes, Joba, IPK, Slade, A-Jax—Oppenheimer did. I really have no idea, maybe Home DePo is responsible for their drafts.

• The Artist says:

Actually, looking over his track record it doesn’t seem all that bad. Mixed, actually. I had just remembered the disastrous 05 season and the way he was run out of town, but his trade/FA record was OK. He should take some heat for 05, but I don’t remember all the details.

• Yeah, the media killed him in LA, but he wasn’t actually bad. Plaschke needs a crusty baseball man and DePodesta kinda rubbed him the wrong way, so he killed him in the media. I think he’d be a great hire for Toronto, if he wants the job.

• The Artist says:

If I was him, I’d stay out of the AL East. Ricchardi really didn’t do a bad job, put together some decent teams and very underrated pitching staffs, but its just very very tough to look good in this division with that payroll. Also, from what I understand the new ownership will be looking to cut payroll further next year, so it’s even harder.

Towers might make more sense for TOR. He’s rebuilt a few teams from the ground up, and that’s what TOR is looking at.

• I hear you about the AL East, obviously that’s a deterrent. We’ll see what happens. But I’m not so sure Ricciardi didn’t do a bad job. JP gave out some awful contracts during his tenure (Thomas, Ryan, Wells, Rios, etc.).

• On top of the bad contracts, JP was pretty unpolished with the media, and I believe he’s reportedly had a strained relationship with his scouts and other player personnel people (maybe someone can back me up on that one, I’m too lazy to go searching for a link).

• The Artist says:

I don’t know about the local Toronto media, but I know the NY media loved him. He was one of the few GMs I’d hear interviewed annually on WFAN and 1050. Beat writers and radio announcers always had a quote or two from him every time he came to town, so he must have made himself available to them.

• I’m not talking about whether the media likes him as much as I’m talking about whether he presents the best face for the organization to the media. Just off the top of my head, his recent comments about how it doesn’t matter who the GM is because the Jays can’t win in a division with the Sox and Yanks are one good example. His disparaging comments about Adam Dunn are another good example.

• The Artist says:

Yeah, well of anything those are examples of him being over exposed. Things like that should be said behind closed doors, not to beat reporters.

BTW-I think he had his own radio show as well, on XM or something.

• “Things like that should be said behind closed doors, not to beat reporters.”

Totally agree. GMs can’t have that little discipline with the media. That’s a mark against JP, in my book. That’s on him.

• The Artist says:

He did, but Candian teams always have to overpay because of the high tax rates and currency exchange bullshit. He gets a total pass on that for me, since its completely out of his control.

If anything, that’s another reason for a smart GM to avoid the job. TOR really has to be built through the farm system, which is always tricky.

• He gets a “total pass” from you on bad contracts because he worked for a team that plays in Canada? I get that the exchange rate presents a problem, but it most certainly doesn’t present enough of a problem that anyone could excuse the Wells or Rios contracts.

• The Artist says:

Yeah, Texas or Florida teams could offer any one of their FA players half the money and they would still go home with more take home pay. They have to overpay, they simply have no choice, except of course to let the player walk.

In that town, which has never recovered from the 1994 strike, that’s a very tough thing to do.

• The Artist says:

….if he’s popular, which Wells was when they signed him.

• Dude… Those are HISTORICALLY AWFUL contracts. I mean, the worst of the worst. If you can excuse those contracts on the basis that Toronto is at a disadvantage because it’s in Canada, how can you ever evaluate a GM in Toronto? By your reasoning., no GM in Toronto can ever be blamed for any mistake re: acquisitions or contracts.

Whatever, I agree to disagree.

• The Artist says:

“By your reasoning., no GM in Toronto can ever be blamed for any mistake re: acquisitions or contracts.”

No, I just cut the contract in half and ask myself if that sounds about right, and in most cases with JP, it did. Also, they’ve had a steady stream of good young arms coming through there for years, so he’s done a good job in that area. Overall, I think he did an OK job considering what he had to work with.

If I have one criticism of him, its that he didn’t do enough to protect those young arms, and many of them got hurt. That’s on him and that bonehead manager Gibbons they fired last year.

• The Artist says:

BTW-Maybe someone can get me the exact number, but the last time I checked the top Canadian income tax rate was over 60%, I think it’s 63 IIRC.

Texas and FLA residents have no/low personal income tax (though FLA may have added one recently) so with a Federal top rate of 35%, it’s almost double in Canada.

14. Yankees baseball, Devils hockey, I’m in fucking heaven

15. pat says:

There goes your perfecto, Neiman muahah.

16. putt says:

I didn’t catch the game last night. Was the Price/Tex high & tight pitch pretty egregious? Cone seems to think so. What precipitated it?

17. Dela G says:

GRIT GUTNER STEAL!

nice job

18. Dela G says:

damon swinging at schlop for the loss

19. JMK aka The Overshare says:

Lame swing, Matsui.

20. Dela G says:

everyone swinging at schlop for the loss

21. Bob Stone says:

Quentin just homered – ChiSox 1 Det 0

22. The Artist says:

Fuck.

Do they really need to play that annoying horn to tell their idiot fans that something just happened?

23. Ben says:

This iswhy Burnett goes 2

24. Frankie says:

I hope this is all because the yanks pitchers just don’t give a damn about these games.

25. Tom Zig says:

4 runs and 6 hits off of Beckett…already.

• Zack says:

its a little different than CC too, considering he’s coming off back spasms, a skipped start, and three “minor” cortison shots

26. Mikey says:

hairston = desperate not to be on base

27. dygg says:

Question: Even if Detroit wins tonight, they have to pitch Verlander tomorrow, no?

• Tank the Frank says:

Not necessarily. They’ll still have a one game lead and would probably be better off saving him in case the Twins win tomorrow and they lose, so they can throw Verlander in the one-game playoff.

• Tom Zig says:

Yeah pretty much. I assume, Edwin Jackson would pitch the tie breaker. Or they bring back Verlander on extremely short rest

• Mike Axisa says:

Absolutely. Why save him for Game One, or even Game 163, when you aren’t guaranteed to play it?

Kay’s an idiot, of course you throw him tomorrow.

• Tank the Frank says:

But if they win tonight, which was the stipulation in the OP, they are guaranteed to play Game 163. I think you throw Verlander depending on tonight’s outcome.

28. Tank the Frank says:

Johnny PLEEEEEAAAASE get it going.

29. Frankie says:

Yeah, Gardy can be a 60 SB guy until his speed starts to go when ge hits his 30s.

30. 5th Starter says:

Haven’t seen this posted yet but,

“New York Yankees pitcher Joba Chamberlain is scheduled to work in relief Sunday and appears headed to the bullpen for the first round of the playoffs.”

31. Mike Axisa says:

The Indians are just awesome. Note to Mark Shapiro, all these soft tossers won’t get you anywhere.

32. Accent Shallow says:

Jeff Niemann is so goofy looking.

33. Frankie says:

If the White Sox manage to help knock out the Tigers I will be sending Ozzie an autographed Jenna Jameson DVD.

34. Tank the Frank says:

I love it. We’re getting all the bad luck with BABIP out of the way too.

35. Frankie says:

LOL, dumb and dumber matchup

36. miketotheg says:

i reall really hope the rockies call up carl fasano tomorrow.

37. miketotheg says:

not carl. sal. d’oh!

38. Mike Axisa says:

How many more guys is Tampa going to be allowed to hit?

39. Accent Shallow says:

Hell of a play by Bartlett.

40. Accent Shallow says:

Finally.

41. pete says:

what’s tampa’s rotation next year? Shields/Garza/Neiman/Price/Davis?

42. AndrewYF says:

So this means that Verlander will definitely not pitch Game 1, unless he pitches on 2 days rest?

43. Dela G says:

man tampa fouls off everything

44. miketotheg says:

i wonder who’s going to trade for upton. the mets?

45. Dela G says:

wow what the fuck was that

46. Frankie says:

So Pettite ends up 5.1 innings short of earning another 750K bonus?

47. miketotheg says:

&((**$#&$& hinske

48. Bob Stone says:

Hinske. Damn. Just ridiculous. ARod makes that play in his sleep.

49. Dela G says:

great play by evan almighty, but thanks for the bad throw!

50. JMK aka The Overshare says:

Wow, this place is dead tonight. I really do have no life…

51. Dela G says:

hey JMK, i’m here! Don’t feel too bad!

• JMK aka The Overshare says:

Yeah, but you have college to enjoy! I have a diaper-wearing cat, a good-paying job that I hate, law/grad school (in a few months), and a social life that consists of commenting on a Yankees-based blog and masturbating to videos of fat chicks at Autozone.

• Dela G says:

hahahaha you need to upgrade to the dela G life, which consists of going out on the weekends with hot girls, taking one home every once in a while, and living it up at the clubs :D

• JMK aka The Overshare says:

Clubbing? The last time I went clubbing I remember little other than unbearably loud, terrible music, and an African man grinding on my behind. He apparently thought I was a female from behind (though to my credit, I am petite and have a rather shapely butt). Here’s the kicker–he was mad at me! Like I had deceived him or something!

Besides, now that I can actually afford to go to the clubs, I have absolutely no desire. Find me a dive bar with good whiskey and I’m there.

I’m rather awkward on ‘the net,’ so it’s fair to say I’m pretty awkward in ‘real life’; clubbing isn’t my scene.

• ZDW says:

How many law students do we have on this board, anyhow?

Seems like a high number. I am a 2L myself.

• JMK aka The Overshare says:

A fair amount. Congressman is done and Ben is still in school, I believe. TSJC is in government, though I don’t believe it’s law. I start this upcoming semester. Other than that, I’m not quite sure.

• Jose says:

How many lawyers does it take to change a light bulb?

Fifty four. Eight to argue, one to get a continuance, one to object, one to demur, two to research precedents, one to dictate a letter, one to stipulate, five to turn in their time sheets, two to depose, one to write interrogatories, two to settle, one to order a secretary to change the bulb, and twenty-eight to bill for professional services.

• miketotheg says:

that explains alot.

now i can tune in for yankee news, opinions and the occasional amublance chaser.

• Tom Zig says:

I’m a 2L as well.

52. Dela G says:

damn, brett’s range is incredible

53. miketotheg says:

tinooooooooooo

54. Mike Axisa says:

On the bright side, Damon has had some good swings the last few at-bats.

55. JMK aka The Overshare says:

Ace has looked great. Too bad Hinske cannot say the same.

56. Dela G says:

good to see chad gaudin get some work

57. Jose says:

Detroit attempting a comeback. Now 4-1, nobody out, runners on 1st and 2nd.

58. Dela G says:

ramiro pena!

59. The Artist says:

They have to pitch Verlander tomorrow, which pushes him to Game 2.

If they opt for the short schedule (doubtful) we would only see him once.

• JMK aka The Overshare says:

Yeah, I don’t see that happening. Also, the Central race isn’t a done deal. More epic collapses have happened (the Mets count, right? Right?) in the past.

• The Artist says:

Oh yeah, if they didn’t have Verlander going I’d give them no shot with the way they’ve folded. But with Justin, they have an excellent chance to win tomorrow.

• AndrewYF says:

Not true, the only difference in schedules is the day it begins. Verlander can start Game 2 and Game 5 in either.

• JMK aka The Overshare says:

Damn. Let’s hope he’s pretty tired. Not that I’m terribly concerned. I still view us as easily the best team in all of baseball, but it would be more reassuring to take a Verlander who’s made 4 starts in 12 days (or whatever it is).

60. Dela G says:

guzman = very fast

61. JMK aka The Overshare says:

Did you guys know that Navarro was an All-Star last year?

62. Tom Zig says:

Detroit loses!

63. Bob Stone says:

Very exciting!

64. dygg says:

At the beginning of the day, Detroit had a 91% chance of making the playoffs, then the Twins beat Greinke and Detroit had a 64% chance. New odds haven’t been posted yet, but it’s gotta be less than 50%.

65. The Artist says:

Tigers Magic Number-2

Twins Magic Number-2

66. Tom Zig says:

Wow 2 days straight without a spill over thread. Us commenters are really mailing it in.

67. dygg says:

Not to belabor the point, but in four days, the Tigers went from 96% chance of winning the division to 43%. I think it’s amazing.

68. Evan says:

Heh, the Rockies could go from being 14 games back of the Dodgers to having the best record in the NL if they win the next two. Kershaw is making it tough as he’s already struck out six through 2.1 IP.

69. JMK aka The Overshare says:

“End of the Road” by Boyz II Roman Numerals was the #1 song on this day in 1992. Those were the days…

70. mike jones says:

i just got a thing on facebook that said joba was going to be used out of the bullpen? Any truth to this?

71. crapulent aka I said good day sir says:

It was a good season this year…

Does anyone have any recommendations for food at the Stadium? Everything I have eaten there sucks.

72. JMK aka The Overshare says:

ESPN Bahhstan is such a failure, they can’t even get their html right.

Oh yeah, and JD Drew is a golden God.

73. Henry Triana says:

Wtf? did you see ESPNs recap of the Yankee game..they said Burnett struggled.

74. dkidd says:

contreras pitching for the rockies

thome pinch hitting for the dodgers

i feel old

75. Mike bk says:

Because of the Vikes-Packers game Monday night if the central is still tied after tomorrow the playoff game wont be until Tuesday at 5pm. So if Verlander goes tomorrow and Porcello has to go Tuesday, even if the Tigers make it that means what Edwin and his 5.5 era the last couple months game 1? for the twins baker would probably pitch tuesday so we would get Blackburn game 1 and who pavano game 2?

76. miketotheg says:

you guys are awesome when im drunk watching south park.

or maybe its just me.

77. Rudolf says:

I’m not that much of a internet reader
    to be honest but your blogs really nice, keep it up!
    I’ll go ahead and bookmark your site to come back in the future. Many thanks

78. Mark says:

Hey There. I found your weblog the use of msn. That is an extremely smartly
    written article. I’ll make sure to bookmark it and come back to read extra of your helpful information. Thank you for the post. I’ll definitely return.

79. Bev says:

If you would like to get a good deal from this piece of writing then you have to apply these techniques to your won webpage.

80. I blog frequently and I truly appreciate your information.
    This great article has really peaked my interest. I’m going to bookmark your site and keep checking for new details about once per week. I subscribed to your Feed as well.

81. Write more, thats all I have to say. Literally, it seems as though
    you relied on the video to make your point. You obviously know what youre talking
    about, why waste your intelligence on just posting videos to your blog when you could be giving us something informative to read?

82. youtube says:

I used to be suggested this website by means of my cousin.

I’m not sure whether or not this submit is written by him as nobody else recognise such targeted about my trouble. You’re
    incredible! Thank you!

83. I know this if off topic but I’m looking into starting my own weblog and was wondering what all is needed to get setup? I’m assuming having a blog like yours would cost a pretty penny?
    I’m not very web smart so I’m not 100% positive.
    Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers

84. website says:

Hi there to every one, because I am truly keen of reading this blog’s post to be updated daily. It contains good material.