Oct

‘If stem-cell research were around, you’d want to tap into that gene pool’

That gem of a quote was delivered by none other than Angels’ season ticket holder, and noted player agent, Scott Boras. Who was he talking about? None other than Johnny Damon. Boras, of course, was setting the stage for Damon’s impending free agency, noting that Johnny plays pretty much every day, something you can’t say for most 35-yr olds. He even goes so far to say Damon “has a 30-year-old’s body. He plays much younger.” I can’t say I’d go that for, but Damon did have a big year and set himself up well for the open market.

Categories : Asides

1. Tank Foster says:

Wasn’t it Boras who said Barry Zito was one of the greatest pitchers of his age in baseball history?

2. thurdonpaul says:

wow, Boras is reaching, 30 year old body ? lol , righttt

3. A.D. says:

Ahhh the hype machine starts already. Would be interested in seeing the Damon pitchbook he puts together.

• A-Rod Fan says:

Is he publicly known for being a fan of a team?
      Or does he live in L.A. and got those season tickets to watch all his players play when they roll into town?

4. chuck says:

plays everyday, not plans everyday…dunno if its considered uncool to correct a free and incredibly well written blog, but things like that eat at my brain.

5. Me says:

Is he type B or A?

6. Me says:

^ He is type A. Wouldn’t it be hilarious if Yankees offer him arbitration and he turns it down and another team picks him up?

• JMK aka The Overshare says:

That would be awesome. We’d still have to figure out what to do in LF next year, but getting the picks would be fantastic. I’m biased because I love DOTF far too much.

7. TSJC shot this yesterday, I was there myself to bear witness

8. Short Porch says:

johnny Damon is one of only 5 players in baseball history who has played in at least 140 games a year over 14 or more years.

That’s durability.

Either that or he’s pretty busted up by now.

BTW name the other 4.

9. A-Rod Fan says:

Is he publicly known for being a fan of a team?

10. Michael Kay says:

There’s honestly TOO MUCH there to work with in making a joke….don’t know that I’ve ever experienced this before.

11. Riddering says:

A few months ago I would have thought, Boras aside, Damon was a lock to come back to the Yanks. Now I’m thinking the opposite.

Ah well. How can the Yankees hope to keep someone like Damon, more man than the rest, on a budget?

12. leokitty says:

Boras being Boras is the new Manny being Manny.

13. X says:

JD definately has been hurt all season and is playing through it for a new contract. I’d say torn rotator. Let him walk…

14. [...] positive we’re going to go for” Matt Holliday as a free agent after the season. Scott Boras started pumping up free agent to be Johnny [...]