Jan

Previewing MLB 10: The Show

It seems like every year, baseball games get better and better. Back in the day we had a tremendous selection. Nintendo featured RBI Baseball and Baseball Simulator 1.000, two excellent titles, plus the playable Bases Loaded. (Though I was always partial to Base Wars.) Super Nintendo brought Ken Griffey Jr. Baseball, one of my favorite all-time baseball games. But with the introduction of the Sony Playstation, it seemed like baseball games slid in quality. Developer 989 Studios, a division of Sony, produced their MLB series, which I found unplayable. In order to finish a game in a reasonable amount of time I had to reduce to six innings, and that screwed over my players as they raced for stat tiles. Triple Play Baseball was kind of fun, but it still didn’t catch my attention.

Then came Playstation 2 and MVP Baseball — though it was nothing more than a rebranding of EA’s Triple Play series. Everything changed. The gameplay went faster, so you could play a full nine innings in a reasonable amount of time. The pitching system was better, too, making for a more fun game all-around. Then came the 2K series. For the 2006 season MLB/MLBPA granted 2K an exclusive (non-Sony) license to develop games. I loved the 2K6 game, though it seems like the game degenerated every year from there on. I got 2K8, but didn’t enjoy it at all. Thankfully, the Sony replacement for their MLB series, The Show, progressively got better and better. In 2009 it blew the 2K game out of the water.

As the season approaches, so does the release date for MLB 10: The Show. GameDaily has an early preview, and it looks pretty damn cool. The article starts off talking about the extras, like the Road to The Show feature and Home Run Derby mode, but I’m more interested in the actual game play. After all, that’s what the game’s all about, right?

According to GD, we should see some significant improvements in this year’s version.

The developers added 1,250 new gameplay animations, 1,000 presentation animations and 400 personalized pitcher and batter animations.

To me, animations can make or break a game. My biggest complaint with older Madden versions was that poor animations led to unrealistic gameplay. More animations means the computer can more accurately identify the most realistic option. It might not be as relevant in a baseball, where the main animation issues arise when there’s one defender chasing down a ball, as in football, where all 22 men are in constant motion, but it still matters in terms of playability.

Another excellent improvement: base running. Maybe it’s just me and my lack of skill with a controller, but I had a terrible time running the bases in MLB 09. Any improvement on that front would be greatly appreciated.

The game comes out on March 2, with a deserving player gracing the box.

Check out the article for more information on changes in MLB 10: The Show. This video also provides a quick, cursory rundown.

Categories : Fantasy Baseball

1. jsbrendog says:

give me world series baseball 96 on genesis and i’ll be happy for life.

best intro ever

national anthem, fireworks, sound of a crack of the bat, and the announcer yelling

whoooooaaaaaaa doctor!

2. Brian Cashman is Watching says:

Any idea how the GM mode will be in the Show?

Also, any idea if 2Ksports will try again with Front Office Manager? It was a horrible first attempt, but the problems seem easy to fix.

• Mr.Jigginz says:

I’ve been searching around the internet for any articles regarding another Front Office Manager and have seen none.The first one did suck,but I agree that a lot of it was fixable.

• Steve in PDX says:

I recently downloaded Out of the Park Baseball, which is a super in-depth GM game. It’s all stats based, but it’s super fun/addicting. You can download a 1/2 season demo on their website

3. Steve H says:

I still play RBI Baseball on my NES. Has anyone found a good baseball game for the Wii? I’d like to get one, but reviews I saw last year were pretty poor.

• duffman says:

You could check out the MLB Power Pros games. As long as you can get by the cartoonish graphics it plays a pretty good game of baseball. Not nearly on the level of the show or anything but as far as Wii goes its definitely a fun game, plus the games go quick.

4. vin says:

This is the only title that makes me wish I had a PS3.

5. Mr.Jigginz says:

I too <3 Baseball Simulator 1.000 btw.(I also liked another one…Baseball Stars,maybe?Can't remember the name.)

6. A.D. says:

All Star Baseball for N64 was always a solid title, though it fluctuated year to year to be having starters that could always throw complete games to those that could tops throw 6 innings.

7. Bill Style says:

looks like I’m stuck with the 2k series on xbox 360 still. Atrocious.

8. Mike Axisa says:

After winning the Cup in NHL 10, I just went back to The Show last week. How I missed it so. I’ll never leave it for another game again…

• Jamal G. says:

I went on a 13-game losing streak in August of my 2009 season and missed the playoffs with the Giants. In 2010, I have Rule 5 draft pick Chae-Seung Baek and Madison Bumgarner joining Lincecum, Cain and Zito in my rotation, while the Dodgers signed Josh Beckett to front a rotation of Billingsley, Kershaw and Kuroda; yay. Luckily, the the Diamondbacks failed to re-sign Brandon Webb (Yankees).

9. I think I see me and Nostra-Artist up in the second deck stands. See the midpoint between the MLB logo and the umpire’s right shoulder? Follow that line straight up to the edge of the picture. Those two little specks at the top are the two of us.

Handsome devils, I must say.

This game is jam-packed with realism. That’s even the exact seats we sat in.

10. Camz says:

Did they announce a release date and the player who we be featured on the cover?

Can anbody attest to Ryan Howard being unfairly good in the game? The dude rakes and comes thru at least a couple times in every game.

11. pat says:

Joe-
    I’m real happy for you and Ima let you finish but, MVP BASEBALL 2004 WAS THE GREATEST BASEBALL VIDEO GAME OF ALL TIME!!

12. pat says:

Also, Base Wars was awesome too. Used to spend hours making the robots fight.

13. JackISBACK says:

I feel ya on the base running. I just can’t control base running all that well, and pretty much play base to base on offense. I’m just thankful when my player advances a base, and doesn’t decide to just freeze or run back to some base for no reason.

N64 had a good baseball game with Ken Griffey as well. For its time, it was an amazing game, on a cartridge.

I’ve sort of gotten away from the dynasty or season game play in baseball games and gone more into the individual career kind of play just because after some time, I find season long games somewhat boring. Whereas developing a player through the minors and coming up to the show and stuff keeps your interest for a longer time.

14. Rose says:

I always liked Baseball Stars the best…and Roger Clemens MVP Baseball was comical as well with such promising stars as “Matt Donningly”, etc.

15. My review for the Ataria 2600 baseball:

1. Not very realistic. Not only are all the players green globs made from small squares, but there are only 2 to 4 players on the field at any one time. There is no throwing in the field, nor any types of baserunner control. A home run is a ball that is hit straight through the infield over second base. Oh yeah, no outfield.

2. Lack of stats. The one stat that is kept, Runs. You could keep your own stats except for the aforementioned all guys are identical green blobs issue.

3. Pitching controls are fantastic. You can throw a curve that changes direction multiple times. Also you can throw a really slow pitch.

I could go on, but I actually remember having a lot of fun playing this even though most games ended in a zero – zero tie, sorry no extra innings (that I remember)

16. Cam says:

I just got the PS3 for Christmas and wanted one for two main reasons, The Show and the Blu-Ray player. I got the show from my mother-in-law and the game is ridiculous. I stopped buying baseball games a while ago because I had XBox and all the reviews for their games were “it’s OK, but it’s not the show.” I’m with you about the baserunning, Joe. I just can’t seem to get my head around it yet. But if ’10 can improve on an already great game, I might be listing my copy of ’09 on here for sale!

17. Jramey says:

dude got that ps3 thuis winter.

but triple play was the shit!

18. liam says:

mvp baseball 2004/2005 were the best baseball games to date. if they updated the rosters for those id still play em

• Joe says:

The Show blows those away. Not even close, and I was a huge fan of MVP in 04/05. Had it for PC and loved getting stadium mods!

19. Rose says:

I’m in year/season 2012 in EA’s MVP Baseball 2005. It’s so good later on with all the fake players haha. It’s just impossible to trade with the computer unless you take on giant contracts of their bad players in addition to making previously fair and reasonable trade. I hate cheating in video games but one thing I do is change “John Dowd’s” age so he avoids significant decline every year. Everything else is cheat-less. What can I say, the guy mashes everything and is so nasty I can’t let him go haha. Season 2012 though…all 162 game seasons too. I lived on campus by myself in the summer of 05′ and had literally nothing but extra time for a while haha.

20. Hey MR Pawlikowski .. says:

Hey Joe,

I’m not sure whether it was last year, or the year before. but you guys held an opening day competition on which yankee would record the 1st of each statistic. You guys promised a Brand new copy of MLB the show of the upcoming season.
    I’m pretty sure, (but I could be wrong) that you guys actually announced a winner of the competition. I assumed bec it was to hard for you guys to go through all the entries.
    Either way, let me know.
    thanks

21. Michael Kay says:

Isn’t 2K Sports debating whether to even release a 2K10 MLB? Or is 2K10 the last one?

• 2K10 will also come out on March 2. This is the last year of their exclusive license, I believe, but they could continue to make games if 1) the license gets renewed (which would be dumb, because 2K dropped the ball with this one) or 2) if no one gets an exclusive license.

22. mustang says:

Well after making fun of the PS3 generation I ended up getting one mostly for the Blu-ray, but I think I’m in on this game. Did promise the wife no games I guess it’s time to strike a deal. LOL

23. Opus says:

Do the umps blow calls like they do in real life?

• thestand says:

Absolutely. All umpires have their own personalities that you have to learn while the game goes on. Some will not call anything on the corners, some will give you a foot outside for a strike. I’ve seen calls at first blown, with the runner getting ejected for arguing. All umps are fairly realistic.

24. JMK aka The Overshare's Excessive Back Hair Complex says:

So I’ve finally stopped being “cheap” or “frugal,” depending on the way you see it, and am purchasing a PS3 after I get home from work (I’d prefer not to lug it from Penn St. through NJ Transit).

So, two questions:

1) Which store is best to purchase from? Best Buy, Wal-Mart, Gamestop?
    2) First game I should buy that isn’t The Show

• Rose says:

1.) Won’t matter…all the same price. Personally, I would buy it from Costco (if there is one near you) because they will take it back at any moment in time if anything ever happens to it and give you a brand new one (with store credit depending if the price has gone down by then) as opposed to shipping it out to sony and waiting, playstationless, for all of eternity.

2.) All the past ‘exclusive’ amazing playstation games (Resident Evil, Grand Theft Auto) are now available for any system at all…so I’m not really sure what you should get to be honest. I’m a Nintendo/Xbox guy myself. If I had to make a guess, I would probably wait for the new Twisted Metal…those were pretty badass back in the day…

• Monotonousblob says:

2.) Uncharted 2, no questions asked. You can pry find the first one for like $10 used. I also recommend Killzone 2, Metal Gear Solid 4, Ratchet & Clank, and InFamous

25. thestand says:

Don’t sell Road to the Show Mode short. I’ll usually play through one or two seasons on franchise mode, just so I can do the offseason front office stuff, but Road to the Show is damn fun. Every year I’ll pick out the Yankees weakest position (LF this year? and maybe a closer for the future), and then start them in the Yankees farm system. I love just having your at-bats, and then actually playing the field.

26. Tim says:

Best part of this version- NO EFFING PEDROIA ON THE COVER!

• Joe says:

AGREED!!! Dam Red Sox.

• I couldn’t stand looking at Weasel Boy on the cover, every time I reached to pull the game out of its case. So I made a custom cover with A-Rod.

A-Rod

Probably won’t need to make one this year since Mauer is not a douche. But if anyone wants a specific one, let me know.

• Ken says:

I want to start by saying that I am not a Red Sox fan but at least Pedroia doesn’t cheat like A-Rod and most of the yankees from the early 2000′s……