Jan

RAB takes over LoHud (for a day)

Just a heads up, my guest post on the Yankees’ minor league system is up over at LoHud today. I tried to give casual fans as much of an overview as possible while trying to adhere to the 300-word limit, however I ended up shoehorning another 90 or so in there. If you read RAB, chances are you read LoHud, so I’m sure you would have found my post anyway. Just in case though…

Categories : Asides, Self-Promotion

1. vin says:

Nice work, Mike.

With all the Arodys talk this offseason, it seems like Man-Ban is getting overlooked. He has to be the better prospect, no?

• Mike Axisa says:

They’re very, very close. Banuelos is younger and has done it at a higher level, but Arodys has much better pure stuff.

• whozat says:

Why does he have to be? I think Arodys had much more explosive stuff and greater K-ability. Meanwhile, Banuelos has done well in full-season ball. It depends on if you rank on upside or probability…I think when you’re talking about 18 year old kids that are 4 years away, you rank on upside. And Viz has higher upside.

2. A.D. says:

Is Suttle definitely healthy & going to play this year?

3. Reggie C. says:

I was intrigued to look up the draft picks surrounding the Brad Suttle signing. I remember his selection was a pretty big deal.

First 10 Yankees selectons from the 2007 draft:
    1. Andrew W. Brackman – Bu…(taking burrito out of microwave)
    2. Austin A. Romine – Good prospect. Has surpassed 2nd round selection.
    3. Ryan J. Pope – org guy
    4. Bradley K. Suttle – hope the shoulder is strong. swing likely rusty as hell.
    5. Adam Olbrychowski – did he even sign?
    6. Richard C. Weems – no longer with team
    7. Damon A. Sublett – who?
    8. Taylor D. Grote – who?
    9. Austin M. Krum – who?
    10. Carmen E. Angelini – BUST

Not one of the better drafts.

• crawdaddie says:

This is a very critical year for that draft. If Brackman starts to show his potential and Romine continues his progression and projects to being a starting ML catcher then that draft will look a lot better. The key is Brackman.

• whozat says:

Yeah, but Chase Weems landed them several months of Hairston, who was a very useful complementary piece on a championship team. I feel like that’s a decent return on a 6th round pick.

• Bo says:

It’s ok. You can say it. Bust. Brackman is a bust. It won’t hurt. You will feel better when you acknowledge the obvious. I mean you are saying a 10th rd HS kid is a Bust but you won’t say a 1st rounder who got millions and a major league contract and cant get anyone out in A ball is??

• The Honorable Congressman Mondesi says:

“I mean you are saying a 10th rd HS kid is a Bust but you won’t say a 1st rounder who got millions and a major league contract and cant get anyone out in A ball is??”

One kid has played 2 full seasons during which he’s looked like he’s unable to hit professional pitching or field his position – .218/.282/.283 overall and .193/.254/.265 in 2009 between short-season and low-A – and the other kid has pitched a total of 106.2 innings (some horrendously bad, but some, early and late in the season, not so bad) during his first season back from TJ surgery.

Yup… Exactly the same situation.

4. ColoYank says:

Saw the post over there, Mike. Nice work as usual. I had to keep my record clean, however, and not post at LoHud. I like Chad’s blog, but completely ignore the comments.

• Slu says:

Same here. The comments are unreadable. And I am not even referring to the quality of the comments. The huge amount of off topic posts, the fact that they string discussion from one post to the next, no threading, etc., make the comments a nightmare to read.

• JMK THE OVERSHARE's Glenn Beck Complex says:

I can’t stand off-topic comments within threads. Luckily, we here at RAB never divert our attention to the post at hand with silly memes, dick & fart jokes, or hypothetical mryankee trade machine doomsday devices.

• The Honorable Congressman Mondesi says:

I wish I could say the same, but I cracked and responded to one of the comments.

Glad to see the LoHuddites didn’t fail to bitch about RAB, though:

Double A
      January 19th, 2010 at 2:44 pm
      RAB is run by typical clueless Yankee fan boys. Every prospect is great. Cashman is God.

• JMK THE OVERSHARE's Glenn Beck Complex says:

Hmmm…I definitely haven’t posted at LoHud in at least a month or two, and yet a comment supposedly from me appears there. Strange.