Jun

Game 65: He could be my grandfather

"Back in my day we had to pitch the ball uphill, both ways. And we didn't have arms back then, we had stumps." (Photo Credit: Marcio Jose Sanchez, AP)

I’m kind of bummed out that the Phillies flip-flopped Kyle Kendrick and Jamie Moyer in their rotation; I was hoping to see an old man matchup of Moyer and Andy Pettitte tomorrow. Instead, he’ll go tonight against A.J. Burnett, two pitchers that couldn’t be any further away from each other on the pitching spectrum. Moyer got demolished last time out by the Red Sox, and I’m hopefully the Yankees will do the same. I’m pretty sure the AL East is no place for a senior citizen.

On to the other good news: Alex Rodriguez is back! Well, kind of. He’ll be the designated hitter tonight because his lateral movement isn’t all the way back, but getting your cleanup hitter back is always a good thing. Jorge Posada resumes his regular catching duties. Here’s the rest of the lineup…

Jeter, SS
Swisher, RF
Teixeira, 1B
A-Rod, DH
Cano, 2B
Posada, C
Granderson, CF
Russo, 3B
Gardner, LF

And on the mound, Allen Burnett.

The skies look threatening, but there appears to be enough of a window to get this sucker in. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05pm ET, and can be seen on YES. Enjoy.

Categories : Game Threads

1. Jamie Moyer, what is he, 47?

… I could hit him.

2. bexarama says:

Heck yes.

Oh no Posada is catching AJ this is all we’re gonna hear about.

3. Jose the Satirist says:

I’m hoping Jamie Moyer keeps going so he can pitch at 50. First to do it since Orlando Hernandez.

No fact check was done

4. boogie down says:

IETCaption

5. Mike HC says:

Just a food for thought type question:

Is it too soon to move Cano up in the batting order on a permanent basis? I know this lineup is so good that it won’t make that much of a difference who hits 3,4, and 5 between Tex, Rod and Cano, but it might at least be time to think about making Cano more prominent in our lineup.

• Good question.

I say yes. Until Tex and ARod’s slumps are actual age-related declines and not just regular slumps, I think they’ve earned the seniority and superstar cache to get the #3 and #4 spots in the order.

I think it should remain Tex-ARod-Cano at 3-4-5 for at least another 2-3 years. JMHO. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with having a bad-ass #5 hitter in front of Tex and ARod, who still have great walk rates to get on in front of him.

• forensicnucchem says:

I completely agree and one of my main reasons is the last thing you mentioned, the walks. Cano had a .400 OBP right now, but that’s only because he’s hitting .360. He won’t do that all the time, and at least some of Tex and A-Rod’s slumps can be negated by still drawing walks.

• MikeD says:

Agreed. No need to move Cano up when we have hitters the caliber of Tex and A-Rod. There was some concern when Matui left that A-Rod wouldn’t have protection and some wondered if Cano was up to the task. Cano has more than answered the call so I wouldn’t be looking to change the formula. Last, it’s nice to realize that if the opposing pitcher gets through Tex and A-Rod, just as he’s breathing a sigh of relief momentarily wondering who’s up next, up to the plate strides Cano.

6. I’m pretty sure the AL East is no place for a senior citizen.

Andy Pettitte, Derek Jeter, Jorge Posada, Alex Rodriguez, and Mariano Rivera say hi.

7. mustang says:

Just wondering how many games have the Yankees 2010 projected starting line-up play this year?
    I mean
    Jeter, SS
    Swisher, RF
    Teixeira, 1B
    NJ, DH
    Cano, 2B
    Posada, C
    Granderson, CF
    A-Rod 3B
    Gardner

8. Frittoman626 says:

Will be a offensive night if we see bad Burnett

9. Jose the Satirist says:

Royals hosting 2012 All-Star Game. Take that Boston.

10. YankeesJunkie says:

Can there be a home run derby with no homers, welcome to the reality of the 2013-2014 HR derbies.

11. Vinny the Bull says:

Whoops, Michael Kay.

12. Souter Fell says:

Yeah, Bill. Throw it.

• Vinny the Bull says:

I wonder which crew hates their talent more; the YES crew, or Francesa’s crew.

• Jose the Satirist says:

Gotta be Francesa’s. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OR3RbiidXJ4

• baby carlos says:

they fear Francesa will eat them.

• boogie down says:

Francesa’s a punk… While he still has good insight into goings-on in the sports world, but I think he’s past his prime. Plus, the fact that he doesn’t have a co-host allows him to ruthlessly bully his callers; it’s as though no one else can possibly have a point to which he’ll concede.

I know it’s off-topic, but I just had to say it.

• JobaWockeeZ says:

Today he thought Omar did a good job by not getting pitchers and relying on Dickey and Takashi…

He proceeded to say because of Ike Davis, Mejia and like AAAA scrubs that contributed to the team that the Mets farm system was great in spite of the “experts.”

While their system is underrated I was dying by his statements.

• Jose the Satirist says:

I heard that. He made it sound like they had 6 guys in the farm system who came up this year that no one had known about and have been amazing.

• JobaWockeeZ says:

They’ve only had one that really contributed in David. Mejia should be a starter and frankly they are wasting his talent. Dickey and Takashi can only be good for so long.

• boogie down says:

I think it’s fair to say that Omar did nothing more than roll the dice by relying on Dickey and Takahashi. It’s always possible that that roll turns out the way you’d hope and that’s what happened to him. In the week leading up to the start of the season, Francesa was merciless in his bashing of everything Mets. I didn’t particularly mind, obviously, but it does bother me now that he’s reversed course so dramatically without acknowledging that “a good job” and “luck” are two distinctly different things. What exactly were Minaya’s options and how were they so tempting that he had to make a shrewd move in NOT succumbing to them?

13. Stryker says:

so what was all this #badattitude business about on twitter? anyone care to explain the meme?

• bexarama says:

Someone on Twitter said they’d heard through their “sources who didn’t want to give their names” that Montero had a bad attitude. It kinda delved into a silly meme.

• Mike HC says:

Not that I have any insight into the situation at all, but I would guess it is more immaturity than a bad attitude. He was put on the fast track and this might be some of that backlash.

• Mike HC says:

Not that I believe that Twitter guy at all. Just based off getting benched a couple of weeks ago for not hustling.

• bexarama says:

Maybe. But:

a. Saying you have “anonymous sources” always makes me really skeptical, I am sorry to say.
            b. I think we can all agree he’d hardly be the only 20-year-old to get an attitude while struggling. Doesn’t mean anything about him being a bad person or whatever.

• Mike HC says:

Right. I agree completely. I don’t trust the Twitter guy at all. And I attribute his benching a while ago to a immaturity and a blip on the radar. Nothing to do with a long term attitude problem.

14. Good AJ is here to stay. He’s been consistent all season, despite a pair of clunkers against the Jays and Rays.

15. Ryan Howard is being paid 2M per strikeout. It’s a special clause in his contract.

Note: This may or may not be true.

16. Dela G says:

that called 3rd strike wasn’t even close to being an actual strike

17. baby carlos says:

Tex, Tex Tex…. may want to skip the All Star break and use the time to hire a private investigator to help you find your swing.

• JobaWockeeZ says:

Just get Kevin Long to work on Teix 24-7.

• Mike HC says:

According to that ZZ poster from the other day, the lohud posters already have it all figured out.

Somebody just has to tell Teix to read the lohud comments and all will be perfect.

• baby carlos says:

lohud posters…. ya that is like Iran giving advice on Middle East peace talks.

• ZZ says:

While I appreciate the shout out, that has nothing to do with Teix applying what’s wrong.

When things are going wrong for a baseball player most of the time they know what is going wrong. Taking it onto the field is a whole different story.

Teix has alluded to what is wrong a bunch of times already. Long knows exactly what is wrong. Eiland knew what was wrong with Vazquez earlier in the season.

Hell, John freakin Kruk knows what is wrong with Teix right now as he was talking about it the other night on BBTN

• bexarama says:

You may be correct here except on one thing: John Kruk knows nothing.

• Mike HC says:

I was just messing around.

I actually enjoyed that conversation entertainment wise. I have never read or or been to lohud more than once, so I really don’t know them at all over there.

I just remember you used teix’s swing mechanics as your example and that not only can lohud commenters identify the problem, but they knew how to fix it. I was laughing at that. Its cool though. I don’t take anything like this that seriously.

18. On ESPN, Dave O’Brien was trying to make the point on how bad Philly is without Jimmy Rollins, he said, “The Phillies are only 15-15 without their catalyst.”

So, that means they are 17-15 with him. Devastating.

• bexarama says:

Like I said on my like essay on the Game Writeup last night… the Rollins thing is really overblown. He is much better than whoever they are using as SS right now, obviously, but the horrible slumps of guys like Utley and Werth are the real problem…

19. baby carlos says:

Rick Sutcliffe makes Waldman sound like Vin Scully.

20. Dela G says:

god that sucked ass

21. Dalelama says:

Can we trade AJ for Cliff Lee? He is so irritaring to watch.

• bexarama says:

Can we trade you for a commenter that says non-irrational things even occasionally?

• boogie down says:

That’s definitely a win.

• Dalelama says:

Why not?

• Dalelama says:

Still sore I was right about Nicky Johnson?

• bexarama says:

Nope. ‘Twas a risk that didn’t work out. Kinda surprised you’re not here bragging about it all the time though.

• Mike HC says:

ha, wait. You are talking about the player, right?

• Pete says:

Are you pissed we were right about Damon? or Matsui?

• Dalelama says:

Want do you mean? Either Damon or Matsui would be better than NJ?

• Pete says:

What I meant was that we were right about Damon and Matsui – that Matsui was a ticking time bomb and was enormously unlikely to match his production levels from the year before, and that Damon had masked another year of aging with ridiculous home/road splits that were not going to hold up forever. He still may have been a functional DH, but not at anything close to his asking price (we offered 2 years, 14 million, he declined).

Nick Johnson, meanwhile, came into this season another full year away from wrist surgery, meaning there was a decent chance he’d start seeing some of his power return, especially in YSIII. Also, even without power, Johnson has, when healthy, been a much more productive hitter than Damon (career wRC+ for Johnson: 129, Damon: 112). Also, while he has had a plethora of injuries during his career, two were freak accidents (broken femur, his biggest injury, and broken jaw), and he didn’t have any lasting symptoms from any of his previous injuries. He was, by all appearances, a player who had had terrible luck, and was only marginally more likely to injure his wrist, back, or leg, than your average player.

When it came down to it, the gamble was this: take the older, declining player suffering from two chronic knee injuries that will not get better (matsui), the older, declining, significantly worse, significantly more expensive player with a history of nagging injuries, or the younger, better player with a history of two unrelated play-induced injuries, and two unrelated freak-accident-induced injuries on his ledger. The Yankees made the correct choice at the time, even if it didn’t work out.

• FIPster Doofus says:

Damon is getting on base nearly 39 percent of the time and has an OPS of .809. I like Nick Johnson and think signing him was a smart move, but Damon is still plenty effective at the plate.

• dalelama says:

But they didn’t make the correct choice. Age really isn’t that important a factor because NJ’s contract was for only one year. Signing either Matsui or Damon would have been a better decision than signing NJ. In my view which the data season to date validates is we gave up two proven big time performers who were very instrumental in helping us win the World Series to acquire a soft, slow, injury prone, one dimensional player who can’t hit for power and has padded his stats against weaker competition. I didn’t mind so much giving up either Matsui or Damon but giving up both and replacing one with Nick Johnson I predicted would be a mistake. I know that even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then but I thought not doing what we did was a no brainer.

22. Brian in NH says:

Are we seeing the a little bit of Bad AJ tonight? I just started watching in the second and it seems like he’s having trouble finding the strike zone

23. forensicnucchem says:

Ugh…

24. forensicnucchem says:

Let’s go AJ, shut it down here…

25. baby carlos says:

Look at the bright side, only 3.5 years left on that 82.5 million investment.

26. A.D. says:

Looks like Game 5 Burnett

27. Frittoman626 says:

OMG it bad Burnett :(

28. forensicnucchem says:

Yikes…

29. Frittoman626 says:

I hate you Burnett

30. bexarama says:

Welp that was unfortunate.

31. Frittoman626 says:

Fuck that fat bitch that was dancing

32. SouthernYankeeFan says:

not the result i was looking for.

33. yankwin says:

well thats awesome just fucking awesome Dobbs schneider valdez way to take advantage of the bottom of the order frankly victarino gave you what you deserve

34. Frittoman626 says:

It doesn’t matter, Moyer is pitching anyways

35. lily-bk says:

bad aj has shown up….i just hope our offense can get something going

36. Frittoman626 says:

Burnett always has to make things look hard :(

37. Chances of the Yankees overcoming a 4 run lead against a 47-year old soft tosser?

85%

38. baby carlos says:

I’m guessing the “I Hate Javy” group now has defections to the “I Hate Burnett” group. That has to be an interesting shuttle ride between the two groups.

• bexarama says:

The “I Hate Burnett” group has always existed. They are very strange.

• Dalelama says:

Hate is too strong word—irritation is better—great talent but mentally challenged.

• bexarama says:

This comment. It is a bad one.

• Pete says:

orrrrr great arm with a sometimes great curveball whose overall “talent” is often oversold because people seem to think for some reason that command/control/consistency are related to character more than being a part of the actual talent package.

Greg Maddux, Mike Mussina, Roy Halladay, etc: all much more talented to begin with than Burnett could ever dream of being. Not to say that he isn’t immensely talented, but where on earth do you get off attributing his difficulties/failures on mental issues? Do you know him? How can you possibly tell? You are aware that it’s really, really, really fucking hard to control your pitches, right? And that control/command are the result of muscle memory and talent, not some mental advantage, right?

Pitch selection, setting up hitters, etc. – are things you learn (and your catchers/managers learn). Control is something you can try to practice, but when it comes down to it, some can, some can’t.

39. Stryker says:

bad AJ in the early innings…i might be turning this one off.

40. Mike Axisa says:

People are freaking out even though there was one hard hit ball that inning. One.

• Not Tank the Frank says:

Oh that’s right because he walked 2 others, allowed a stolen base to Raul Ibanez – I even had to shake my head at that to make sure I wasn’t dreaming – had no command of the srikezone whatsoever, and couldn’t get the bottom of the order out.

But there should be no freaking out because he never he’s a pitcher known for his control. A strikethrower that we’ve got locked up for another 3 seasons. I know I’m looking forward to it.

41. Frittoman626 says:

Lets go offense, lets respond

42. forensicnucchem says:

The worst part of that may not be the 4 runs, but instead the 52 pitches that may lead to a Gaudin sighting.

43. JobaWockeeZ says:

If you think AJ’s contract is bad then I suggest every go look over the stats of John Lackey.

44. Frittoman626 says:

Im watching the game on ESPN3.com and this site sucks, is there another website I can go to watch this game

45. boogie down says:

Was that a fliner or a just-missed-it fly out by A-Rod? I’m monitoring on Gameday and the pitch looked like it was in the ol’ wheelhouse.

46. MikeD says:

Hopefully in the coming weeks and months, the Phillies don’t point back to this game as the day their offense returned. Bad, AJ, bad!

47. Kristen says:

Kim Jones quote of the night: “Jamie Moyer – older than the Super Bowl.”

48. Kevin says:

CRUSHED.

49. forensicnucchem says:

Demolished!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

50. Vinny the Bull says:

That one made the Creatures happy.

51. SouthernYankeeFan says:

THAT.WAS.CRUSHED

52. JobaWockeeZ says:

He CAN’T be stopped. MVP!

53. FIPster Doofus says:

Bob Cano picked the right occupation. He is good.

54. lily-bk says:

atleast cano puts us on the board

55. Mike Axisa says:

Robbie put a good swing on that one, eh?

56. Cano ripped that shit. Goddamn!

57. Frittoman626 says:

Robbie Cano don cha know!!!!!!!!!!!!

58. I have a feeling we’re going to see a ML record being broken tonight.

59. ShuutoHeat (Igawa > Logan) says:

Old man Moyer is sweatin’
    Cano is a monster!

60. baby carlos says:

Moyer striking a hitter out = embarrassed

61. Frittoman626 says:

Moyer looks like Randy Johnson today besides that HR he gave up =(

62. Granderson, I understand that for your career you strike out a metric fuckton, but you strike out against a guy who is throwing 82-83? For shame.

/mini rant over

63. ZZ says:

What you saw from AJ last inning is what you would get from Joba in the rotation right now, but worse, since Joba fails way more often than AJ to repeat his delivery.

64. Stryker says:

why aren’t the yankees rocking moyer right now? i could probably hit an 80 MPH fastball. COME ON.

65. AndrewYF says:

I was offered Chase Utley and CJ Wilson for CC Sabathia and Brian Wilson.

Should I do it? I’m really tempted.

66. Bounceback inning here.

67. lily-bk says:

this offense has got to do more than just cano solo shot…..i know its just the first at-bat but moyer making out hitters look bad

68. baby carlos says:

one of those nights.

69. Frittoman626 says:

PLEASE TAKE SORRY ASS BURNETT OUT, DAMN IT

70. forensicnucchem says:

Well, this doesn’t exactly qualify as settling down… Yuck.

71. NYC says:

Crushed.

72. baby carlos says:

4-1+2 =

73. Vintage bad AJ. God, what can you do other than accept it and hope the next start is better.

• Pete says:

nothing. You can do nothing, other than that. You take the great with the terrible with AJ. I don’t get how people haven’t figured that out. At the end of the year, there’s more good than bad.

74. SouthernYankeeFan says:

well whoever talked about a record being broken. If you meant home runs i hope the Yankees hit the rest of them

75. I fire up gameday at work and the Phils immediately hit back to back HRs.

76. Vinny the Bull says:

/logan’d

77. Dave says:

Bad timing for Sergio Mitre to be hurt. :(

• Gwen says:

Seriously. I didn’t think I could ever miss Ace as much as I have these past two days. The bullpen just seems so much stronger with him in it.

78. forensicnucchem says:

Yay, it’s BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONE.

79. A.D. says:

Last couple starts are an annoying trend right now (including this one).

80. lily-bk says:

wow u have got to be kidding me!!!! burnett sucks tonight!!

81. Frittoman626 says:

Is it wrong to hate Burnett, he is a Yankee, but man this guy, Fuck

• BigBlueAL says:

I dont hate him but he is easily my least favorite Yankee SP by a mile. Just so frustrating to watch.

• Pete says:

Heh weird. I look forward to his starts second most amongst yankees. For whatever reason I find Pettitte to be boring to watch (sorry bex), and CC hasn’t really gotten to the part of the season where he starts eating everyone yet. AJ’s still exciting. I just stop watching if he’s stinking up the joint. Zen baseball, ftw

82. Cecala says:

The New York Yankees are always the slumpbusters, it pisses me off a little.

We need to play the Orioles again…

• Adam says:

Umm, aren’t they like tied for first place and all? 18 games over .500?

• baby carlos says:

that was yesterday. this is today. think you forget, with the onset of the new 24 hour period all previous existing data is lost. Instant gratification.

• Cecala says:

I’m not talking about the Yankees, I just feel like when teams verse us the bats come alive for some reason. Werth and Howard were in the biggest slumps and they go back to back. They Phillies were 17/25 coming into this series vs the Yankees.

• bexarama says:

Woooooo confirmation bias!

• Gwen says:

I hate seeing the Orioles play the Yanks. Their games are boring as hell, generally bad defensively for both teams and guaranteed wins (unless the AJ on the mound is Sh*t AJ). I like the challenge of playing other teams, but I’m not on the field, so I don’t know how much my opinion counts.

83. BigBlueAL says:

AJ is just following in the footsteps of his mentor Roy Halladay’s outing last night.

84. ShuutoHeat (Igawa > Logan) says:

Oh god, not Logan!! NO LOGAN!!! NOOOO LOGAN!!!!! NOOOOO!!!! NOOO!!!!!

85. All four of those pitches could’ve been strikes via Gameday.

86. Frittoman626 says:

When i said get Burnett out, I didn’t mean for Logan, GET PARK OUT!!!!!!!

87. Usty says:

Well…I did have a couple of episodes of Lie To Me to watch on my DVR anyway…

88. Frittoman626 says:

You can’t blame Posada for this

89. MikeD says:

So a guy who has hit 96mph tonight is getting his ass kicked by a guy who is throwing 80. Baseball is a strange game.

I have faith the Yankees can score a bunch of runs. I don’t have faith that AJ is going to hold the line tonight.

90. Dave says:

How many pitches does AJ throw? Has he always been FB/Curve and that is it? I thought he was bringing a change to the table this year. To me, it almost always boils down to “does AJ have a curve he can throw for strikes?” And if the answer is no, it’s “Bad AJ”.

91. Alright, well, five runs isn’t as many as it seems, especially against Moyer. Game ain’t over yet.

92. ARX says:

I think the only positive for me at this point is that Werth is on my fantasy team and AJ isn’t…yikes. Bad AJ tonight.

Speaking of fantasy, have I ever mentioned how much it sucks to have a lower waiver priority than my next closest competitor just after someone DROPPED ZACK GREINKE TO WAIVERS!? Worst yet, he’s probably going to flip him in a trade to make a killing and shore up his team’s weaknesses. :sigh:

93. Possible that WP (really a passed ball)in the 1st got in his head?

94. forensicnucchem says:

Squeeze another inning or two out of AJ, then just save one more pitch in that arm for the pie after the epic comeback and walk-off…

95. Wow, a lot a whining tonight. Smells downright LoHudian in here.

96. forensicnucchem says:

Moyer was very graceful on that.

97. Frittoman626 says:

Man I hate the Phillies

98. Jersey says:

At what point do they move Gardner and his 400 OBP back to the leadoff spot and move Jeter and his inside-out swing back to the 2-hole?

• forensicnucchem says:

At the point when they want to see if Jeter can set a GIDP record.

So, never…

• Jersey says:

Can’t GIDP if the leadoff hitter swipes 2nd.

Also, he’s hit into exactly SIX this year. So cool it.

• forensicnucchem says:

Gardner can’t steal everytime he’s on base.

And a large part of Jeter only having six right now is that it’s impossible for him to hit into one in his first AB every game and most of the time he’s had a lower OBP guy in the 9 hole in front of him.

• Mike Axisa says:

You’re right. They’ve scored more runs than any other team in baseball, but damn it, this game pissed you off. So fuck it, let’s change everything.

• Jersey says:

Is this a fucking joke? Gardner’s got a 400 OBP. Jeter’s known to hit to the right. I had a random thought and made a suggestion. I’m not the one who’s cranky, Axisa.

• Mike Axisa says:

Did you see how Gardner hit when they moved him higher in the order? And you want to move Jeter and his grounders to the 2-hole to create more GIDP’s, I presume?

• Jersey says:

I did. But he’s swinging the bat well, don’t you think he merits another look?

And I’d like to think, if teams are holding Gardner on, it opens a big hole on the right for Jeter.

• Adam says:

At the point when they ignore all the statistical evidence that points towards Jeter being one of the more effective leadoff hitters in baseball.

• Jersey says:

Don’t you think Gardner’s OBP would be more valuable at the top of the order, if he can maintain it?

Jesus Tapdancing Christ this blog gets snarky sometimes.

99. Vinny the Bull says:

Was there any particular reason that Manuel swapped Moyer and Kendrick for this series?

100. Obviously, it’s easier said then done, but Jeter’s gotta look for a better pitch than that (at least w/how it looked on GD) on 2-0 when the team is down five runs. Meh.

101. Frittoman626 says:

Yankees are getting owned by a man that that has a 80 MPH pitch, I can throw faster than that and get hits off him, Lets hope AJ can pitch a shut out inning

102. Frittoman626 says:

Im looking foward to the Yankees-Dodgers series next weekend, Im going to one of the games =D

103. Pete says:

Alrrrright since were getting shellacked i think it’s time to just spend the rest of the night going all out on Moyer-is-old jokes. I’ll start:

This isn’t fair. Obviously Moyer has the upper hand, having invented the sport and all.

104. poster says:

So. Jamie Moyer. I now hate him.

105. BigBlueAL says:

Phil Niekro the trivia answer??

106. ShuutoHeat (Igawa > Logan) says:

Is it wrong that I hate Victorino with a passion?

107. boogie down says:

So I’ve noticed on a few occasions tonight, via Gameday, that inarguable strikes are being called balls. Does Brooks or any other site confirm this?

108. Frittoman626 says:

Is Posada cursed with throwing runners out

109. SouthernYankeeFan says:

ha wow one of those games so far

110. poster says:

Wow, A.J. Really?

111. MikeD says:

As we all know, AJ goes in streaks. He’s been off for a few games, so I’m figuring he’s on the cusp of a hot one.

• YankeesJunkie says:

I understand, but there are a couple things that concern me about AJ. His FB is down nearly 1 mph and his curve has not been as effective as last year down from 1.5 CB/C to .5 CB/C that is huge decline. If anyone has an explanation for this I would be interested to educate myself.

112. bexarama says:

Yeah this is one of those nights. That said, it’s not even close to over.

113. Dante says:

Another “stellar” AJ performance…folks.
    He’s thrown 85 pitches already in 3 & a third. Geez!!!
    Now with Mitre Dl’d and Ace on the shelf. Girardi’s long relief choices are what…Gaudin? Logan? (throw up the white flag already Joe G)
    Might as well rest your regulars.

114. baby carlos says:

So fundamentally the last two nights, this is NOT the series you want high school kids watching.

115. Mike HC says:

The real problem here of course is no Jose Molina, ha

116. Dalelama says:

See Bexy, thank you AJ for proving my point.

117. Frittoman626 says:

Burnett even sucks at defense, huuuuuuuuuugh, he deserves to be taken out and being booooed >:(

118. ARX says:

o..k…
    So. Logan. Clean slate. Low expectations. Time to redeem yourself dude.

119. Stryker says:

welp.

120. boogie down says:

When was Blogan recalled?

121. Frittoman626 says:

Cant blame my dad for this, he never watches a game when Burnett pitches

122. Adam says:

I blame Cano’s laziness rubbing off on AJ, explaining why he did not hustle over to first there.

Seriously…boos?

123. baby carlos says:

Boone Logan will shut out the Phillies….

124. Frittoman626 says:

Is it me or do teams that are in slumps always seem to break out of it when they play the Yankees, maybe im ust overating that stat

125. baby carlos says:

How come no one has blamed Posada for AJ’s bad performance? Isn’t Posada the reason AJ can’t pitch?

126. MikeD says:

This is not Boone Logan. I’d like to think of him as Logan Boone.

127. Frittoman626 says:

IFFFF the Yankees escape this inning i predict they have the lead by the 8th inning, do you guys agree

128. ARX says:

:applause:

129. MrJigginz says:

Booooooooooone….lol.

130. forensicnucchem says:

Wow, for two batters there Logan actually looked like a half-useful pitcher.

131. Frittoman626 says:

Heeeeeeeeyyyyyy, good job Logan =D

132. I like the shell of Raul Ibanez. Remember this time last year when everyone was talking shit about those who said his contract would be bad? Good times.

133. ZZ says:

I can live with Good AJ/Bad AJ, but not covering first there was pathetic.

He gave up on his team on that play.

134. Yeah, Boone did OK, but he walked another guy.

What?

He did?

Nevermind. Good job Boone.

135. BigBlueAL says:

Damn that food looks good as fuck.

136. MikeD says:

I haven’t had dinner yet. Get that food off my screen.

137. Frittoman626 says:

Hah Moyer looks like he pitched a 15 inning game, he keeps breathing hard

138. Not Tank the Frank says:

So…does a game like this mean you can’t predict baseball?

139. BigBlueAL says:

Bang!!! Got the trivia right baby!!! Woohooo!!!

140. FACT*: The Yankees have never come back from a 5 run deficit.

*(not true)

141. forensicnucchem says:

AJ’s part of the game sucked, but the worst part is Moyer getting through 4 innings with under 60 pitches and at most just a couple of hard hit balls (regardless of the results).

142. Frittoman626 says:

1 HIT off Moyer, man that sucks =(

143. baby carlos says:

Joe is going to make the entire team run wind sprints after the game.

144. I’m on GameDay, so I’d like to know: how as A-Rod looked at the plate?

145. SouthernYankeeFan says:

Moyer with the one hitter through 4. I did not see that coming.

146. BigBlueAL says:

At least Tommy Hanson is shutting out the Rays through 5 innings.

147. cjc says:

this game is 1000% on AJ if they do not come back how could it not be but this lineups performance against Moyer thus far is not only embarassing it is down right disgraceful it is disgusting to watch any mediocre junk ball lefty fool this team over and over again hopefully this ends next inning

148. Adam says:

Logan has just good enough stuff that he tricks you into thinking that he can be a contributor when he is actually throwing strikes. A lefty Albaladejo, if you will…

149. Frittoman626 says:

Logan is beasting it

150. Apparently Logan brought something with him from SWB. He’s throwing strikes for Christ’s sake!

151. ARX says:

I predict a 5 run rally this inning.

152. baby carlos says:

baby carlos says:
    June 16, 2010 at 8:21 pm
    Boone Logan will shut out the Phillies….

If that was his last inning, do I get credit for the prediction?

153. Frittoman626 says:

Rays down 3-0, Red Sox up 4-2, Lets go Yankees, lets get it started

154. bexarama says:

This game obviously happened because A-Rod is in the lineup.

155. MikeD says:

Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel out to watch their old high school buddy Jamie Moyer pitch a game just like when they were kids.

156. rek4gehrig says:

Just got home.
    Yanks are not hitting Moyer because?

157. Frittoman626 says:

Can someone tell the Yankees Moyer isn’t throwing Knuckleballs

158. baby carlos says:

verbal oral sex on Moyer by Sutcliffe is gross

159. Adam says:

Sutcliffe just said, “Jamie has said it before, but he doesn’t see that someone like Jorge Posada, is who is up there.”

Of course that is because of the cataracts and not because of his competitive nature.

160. Mike Axisa says:

Now they’re back to within slam distance. This thing isn’t over. Not by a long shot.

161. forensicnucchem says:

That’s where it starts…

162. Frittoman626 says:

Posada for the All-Star game =D

• Gwen says:

He should re-learn how to block balls first and stop base stealing. I love Jorge offensively, but he’s starting to show his age behind the plate.

• boogie down says:

Well, when it comes to those things, hasn’t he, in a way, always “shown his age”?

• Gwen says:

I guess that’s true, but as an aging catcher who is still insistent on catching, he should be better. I don’t hate Posada in any way, I’m just expressing my disagreement with him being on the All Star roster. I wasn’t looking at his numbers as a whole either and basing it on this performance alone, so maybe there’s an argument to be made, but it’s my opinion.

• ZZ says:

The dynamic Yankee fans have with AJ Burnett really is amazing.

So many hate the guy, but these same idiots may actually hate Posada even more. So while, they are hating on AJ on a night like tonight, they actually at the same time constantly make excuses for the guy by putting as much as they can on Posada.

Maybe blocking the ball has to do with AJ year after year being close to the lead in WP and hits batsmen.

Nothing and I repeat nothing tonight is Posada’s fault. It is amazing how often that has to be said.

• forensicnucchem says:

Posada dropping the ball on the pitchout isn’t his fault? ;-)

• Maybe the base stealing has to do with AJ being atrocious at holding on baserunners and leading the league in SB allowed.

That’s not just A.J. No Yankee pitcher is effective at holding runners. Pettitte’s got a good move to first, but if he’s not throwing over, he’s very slow to the plate. If the runner guesses right, he’s got the bag stolen.

• boogie down says:

I don’t know if that was addressed to me, fully or partially, or not, but I’ll respond as if it was.

I wasn’t saying anything about how tonight’s performance by AJ should be pinned on Posada, I was just talking about Posada’s defense being mediocre throughout his career. I remember he had that stretch during a month a few years ago where it seemed as if he allowed a passed ball every other game. I completely agree that Posada had nothing to do with how poorly AJ pitched tonight, I was just saying that Posada has never been mistaken for Pudge Rodriguez behind the plate.

• Gwen says:

I didn’t say it wasn’t AJ’s fault. He had a horrific performance today and I never give him any credit unless he’s earned it (which he hasn’t), but it is a catcher’s job to block the ball, and AJ can’t stop base stealing since he can’t see it, so that is on Jorge as well as AJ.

• ZZ says:

Who’s fault was it when AJ was always at the top of the leaderboard for WP when he was with Toronto?

They are called wild pitches and not passed balls for a reason.

I don’t think you understand how a base is stolen at the major league level if you think those SB’s are on Jorge. See Matt I’s comment above.

• Angelo says:

ZZ > Gwen

Fatality.

Hit it Pawlikowski! Use those admin powers and pull out the button!

• Gwen says:

Okay then, explain it to me if I don’t understand it.

• ZZ says:

Oh well that is a lot less fun than yelling at Posada haters.

AJ does not pay close attention to base runners. So they can get a good lead on him. The main reason though is that he is also very slow to the plate because of his high leg kick and just general delivery.

He basically does not give his catcher much of a chance at all to throw the runner out, because they are already so far down the baseline by the time the catcher gets the ball.

Also, AJ is a very difficult pitcher to catch. His stuff moves a lot, he often misses the glove, and he often throws the ball in the dirt. That makes it even harder for a catcher to catch the ball, pop up, and get a good grip on the ball.

I also should not even said major league level. Pitcher’s not holding on runners is a major problem at the minor league level.

It is very difficult to gauge a minor league catcher’s ability to throw out base stealers with just their CS%, because so many pitcher’s down there are so bad and so inexperienced at holding on runners.

Also, a lot of organizations don’t emphasize their pitcher’s learning to do it. They just want them to focus on pitching and developing as a pitcher.

For example, the Red Sox org basically don’t teach their pitcher’s at all how to slow down the running game. You can see it with Clay Bucholz and how lost he looks at times with runners on base.

• ZZ says:

Just to add one more thing.

The Rays stole 6 bases off AJ with Cervelli behind the plate.

• Gwen says:

Okay, that makes sense. I wasn’t aware of that bit of information on AJ being a difficult pitcher to catch.I know his pitches have movement, but I didn’t know that made him difficult to catch. I didn’t know about the stolen bases with the AJ-Cervelli battery either, so any blame on Jorge would’ve been absolved had I known that.

I figured it was an inexperience thing that caused AJ to be a horrible pitcher when it comes to base stealing. He doesn’t throw to first a lot, but I see Andy and CC doing it often. I don’t think I’ve seen Phil doing it, so I can’t add him to the comparison.

For the record, I do not hate Posada. He’s actually one of my favorite players, but when someone’s also at fault, you can’t just excuse them because you like them. I thought Posada was at fault and I was mistaken, so there.

I also thought that stolen bases were charged as the battery of pitcher-catcher, and didn’t just fall on the pitcher.

• ZZ says:

No you’re right. Statistically SB’s don’t fall on the pitcher.

But with a guy pitcher like AJ, the vast majority of the time they should fall on him.

163. Vinny the Bull says:

Jorge has more home runs than A-Rod.

164. Frittoman626 says:

Russo hits his first HR here

165. boogie down says:

Well, at least we’ve begun to chip away. Let’s do this.

166. forensicnucchem says:

Isn’t this kind of pushing your luck with Logan now?

167. ARX says:

Logan for another inning? This is either tempting fate, or a sign that I should look for pigs flying outside my window…

168. Adam says:

Umm…did Sutcliffe just say that Laz Diaz and Joe West are great umpires?

169. ARX says:

Whoa…

170. JobaTheHeat62 says:

If only Boone was always like this

171. Vinny the Bull says:

Boone Logan? Effective??

My brain hurts.

172. MikeD says:

Logan Boone. Don’t let your evil twin Boone Logan ever come back.

• kunaldo says:

Wolverine?

• Chris says:

Can someone please explain the Boone Logan hate? He currently has the 3rd best ERA among Yankee relievers with 4+ IP and not on the DL (behind Mo and Marte). He’s now had 6 inherited runners this year and allowed none of them to score. Sure, he’s not the next Yankee closer, but he’s been pretty effective this year.

• Gwen says:

He was terrible at the beginning of the season. It was like an assault on the senses with him and Robertson being terrible together. I think his low ERA might be due to the fact that he was demoted for a while. I’m glad he’s improved, but you’ll have to excuse us if we’re not exactly brimming with confidence when he’s on the mound.

• Chris says:

He wasn’t terrible at the beginning of the season. He was effective. I guess his first appearance wasn’t particularly effective (1.1 IP, 2 H, 1 BB, left with 2 outs and bases loaded), but he didn’t give up any runs.

His season ERA went above 4 for the first time on 5/19 when he gave up two runs to the Rays. In 14 appearances, he’s given up 1 run 4 times and 2 runs once.

He’s struggled with his control somewhat, but that seems like a ridiculously little thing to worry about when you’re talking about the 6th or 7th man in your pen.

Again, I still don’t understand why people have all this animosity towards Logan.

• Gwen says:

I can’t tell you why everyone else dislikes him, but he was pitching poorly and missing pitches in the beginning of the season, so that’s why I’m not a fan. I don’t particularly have animosity towards him, but I don’t exactly trust him on the mound either.

173. I like the 6/16/2010 version of Boone Logan.

174. Jeff Karstens, Male Model says:

Everyone remember this Boone Logan, this will be the answer when we continously ask why this guy is still in our pen going forward….

175. MikeD says:

Has Jeter seen more than three pitches tonight in his three ABs?

176. forensicnucchem says:

Jeter, 5 pitches in 3 AB’s. Yuck…

177. Cy Farnsworth says:

nice play by werth there

178. Adam says:

Wow that was…wide.

179. Cy Farnsworth says:

I love Paulie and I love Swish, but that was strike 3 right there. Good pitch by Moyer.

• JobaTheHeat62 says:

it really wasnt at all..clearly of the plate

• Cy Farnsworth says:

the strike zone in actual baseball games isn’t perfect. both teams have been getting the outside corner all game, swisher needs to swing at anything that close.

• Chris says:

For his entire life, Swisher (and all other hitters) has been learning what’s a strike and what’s a ball. Why should he suddenly have to adjust his reactions for one game just because an umpire doesn’t know that the ball actually has to cross the plate?

• Cy Farnsworth says:

Because he’s playing in the major leagues, not a video game. You act as though this is the first time that he’s played in front of a human ump with an extended strike zone.

That strike 3 was consistent with the other calls that this ump has been making on the outside corner. It may not be fair, but that’s life.

• Chris says:

The problem is that there isn’t time to think through the decision. You react as you’ve trained your body to react. If the pitch is off the plate, then it’s a ball and should be called a ball. If this umpire can’t call a game correctly, then he shouldn’t be umpiring in the major leagues.

This just makes it worse. If it’s one call, then you can say the ump just missed the call. When it’s consistent, then the umpire should be corrected. There’s a defined strike zone for a reason.

It may not be fair, but that’s life.

Well, it doesn’t have to be. Everyone here knew the pitch was a few inches off the plate (as did Sterling from the press box). Why should it be a strike just because the ump doesn’t believe in the definition of the strike zone?

180. forensicnucchem says:

Well, Moyer did have a sub-4.00 ERA before the Sox game.

/still trying to convince myself this isn’t as bad as it looks

181. danny says:

trying to practice zen baseball but being shut down by a 47 year old tends to get me just a bit annoyed

182. Accent Shallow says:

I can support 92-93mph Gaudin.

183. camilo gerardo says:

i wanted vlad, i am right in retrospect. doesn’t mean anything

184. forensicnucchem says:

So, AJ gets hit all over the park, Logan is dominant for over 2 innings, Gaudin gets out three power hitters including 2 lefties, Moyer shuts down the Yanks offense.

What the hell is going on out there???

185. Frittoman626 says:

Yankees eed to score this inning or it might be time to think about tomorrow

186. baby carlos says:

Sterling; “You can’t predict baseball”

Pitchers IP H R ER BB SO HR PC-ST ERA
    A Burnett 3.1 6 6 6 4 3 2 87-48 4.33
    B Logan 2.2 0 0 0 1 3 0 33-22 4.05
    C Gaudin 1.0 0 0 0 0 1 0 19-12 7.90
    Totals 7.0 6 6 6 5 7 2 139-82

Love it..

187. Uncle Mike says:

Hey, be nice to Jamie Moyer. After all this is a guy who pitched at Connie Mack Stadium.

For Connie Mack.

Okay, that’s an exaggeration, but he says he was at both Phillies’ World Championship parades, 2008 as a player and 1980 as a fan. He probably did see a game at Connie Mack Stadium, formerly Shibe Park, which closed in 1970.

188. Adam says:

Woohoo! Hinske going yard against the (Not)D-Rays. Still helping this team out.

189. Adam says:

Can someone tell me…is it possible to predict baseball?

• Mike HC says:

I really don’t understand why this game is so mind blowing to people. Moyer has been at this thing called pitching for a while now. This is really not all that crazy and unpredictable.

• Adam says:

Yeah, agreed. And really watching Mussina in ’08 should illustrate how location and mixing pitches is more effective than just straight gas.

• dalelama says:

We also had a guy named Tommy John who did the same thing quite well.

190. Tonight’s pitching match up could be called “The Best Stuff in Baseball” vs “The Worst Stuff in Baseball”.

….and the guy with the ‘worst’ stuff won the battle.

That’s why Susan…

191. baby carlos says:

Tex is just painful to watch hit right now.

192. Apparently this ump thinks the neighborhood play applies to the strike zone.

This just had to be repeated. It’s from Mo’s Twitter.

193. Mike Axisa says:

First time Moyer has to pitch from the stretch tonight. Hopefully it’ll screw him all up.

194. baby carlos says:

Cano = double

195. forensicnucchem says:

Ok, gotta get a run or two back this inning now.

196. Frittoman626 says:

197. MikeD says:

Leiter’s wrong. It’s the hard throwers who generally have pitched later into their careers.

198. ARX says:

Well, that baserunner nice while it lasted…

199. Vinny the Bull says:

Pretty sure that ball just sort of fell into his glove.

200. Adam says:

It ain’t always pretty with Swish, but he is damn solid in the OF.

201. baby carlos says:

don’t the Yankees have a losing record this year for games televised byESPN

202. Sheepmeister says:

You know, this catastrophe can only be blamed on one person who is only out there for his own stats, A-Rod. I heard he told AJ to pitch a terrible game so he can hit 5 solo HRs in the 9th to win.

203. ShuutoHeat (Igawa > Logan) says:

Some pie would be nice.

204. 7. Tom Nawrocki Posted: June 15, 2010 at 10:35 AM (#3559665)
    I find it hard to believe that Quisenberry – who I remember as having a fairly short career for a great player – and Trevor Hoffman – who seems to have pitched forever – have thrown roughly the same number of innings.

Nice of Repoz over at BTF to start a discussion about my Quisenberry post, but this comment just blew me away. I felt the best argument against Quiz was his lack of longevity, but this completely destroys that argument. No one would ever question Hoffman’s longevity, and they pitched the same # of innings.

205. ARX says:

So…who predicted the Logan/Gaudin multi-inning shutout? (put your hand down)

206. Mike Axisa says:

I heart that Johnnie Walker commercial.

207. Cy Farnsworth says:

Am I the only one who got uncomfortable when Kay started talking about Kim Jones “tweeting with her knees?”

208. Dela G says:

good god, i can’t believe moyer is still there

209. Dela G says:

good job russo

210. Why does Jamie Moyer shock Kay so much? Guys pitched like this for 100 years before everyone fell in love with radar gun readings.

211. JobaTheHeat62 says:

I could be a MLB pitcher with this strikezone

212. Frittoman626 says:

Moyer pitched in 49 different stadiums, he has been around a long time

• JobaTheHeat62 says:

thats crazy…I cannot believe there have been that many new stadiums built in his 400 years of service. Thats more than half the teams getting new stadiums in the past 25 years or so.

• Chris says:

By my quick count, there are only 9 teams that have played home games in a single stadium since the start of 1989:

Boston, Tampa Bay, Kansas City, LA Angels, Oakland, Florida, Cubs, Dodgers, and Diamonbacks

The Nationals/Expos have the honor of having played home games in 4 different stadiums: Montreal, Puerto Rico, RFK and Nationals park

213. Cy Farnsworth says:

I think I’ve figured out why everyone’s so hellbent on pointing out Moyer’s age.

He’s the 6th cast member of Grown Ups.

214. JobaTheHeat62 says:

oh Gardner that was not gritty

215. Stay thirsty, my friends.

Thirsty.

216. Meh. You have to take the good with the bad. At least Tampa is losing, which would give the Yanks their first divisional lead by half a game.

217. thurdonpaul says:

Wow, tip your cap to Moyer.

218. Frittoman626 says:

While I do respect Moyer, this game REALLY HAS pissed me off, I cant stand watching the Yankees lose o a pitcher who gave up 9 ER his last start :(

219. JobaTheHeat62 says:

so Boone Logan and Chad Gaudin have owned and it might all be for nothing. Now that is a bummer

220. “and if you want to stop by Kim Jones’ house, she lives on 215 East 23rd street…”

221. Cy Farnsworth says:

Vuvuzela’s are just not a part of “soccer etiquette,” right Kay?

222. JobaTheHeat62 says:

Please be 2009 Brad Lidge we see next inning…PLEASE!!!!! I’ll even take 2010 Brad Lidge

223. Jim says:

Chad’s parents should have named him “Dan.”

that would be quite the name

224. Frittoman626 says:

Good games fro Gaudin and Logan

225. JobaTheHeat62 says:

5 2/3 IP from Boone Logan and Chad Gaudin, and it was like Roy Halladay against the Marlins.

226. forensicnucchem says:

Boy, it really tells you something about how bad AJ was tonight when Logan and Gaudin do what they just did to that offense.

227. MikeD says:

If I’m Manuel, I send Moyer out for the 9th.

• Cy Farnsworth says:

This is a nice opportunity to get Lidge some work–he’s only got 8 or 9 innings under his belt, and he’s got a natural advantage following a guy who throws so slowly.

228. forensicnucchem says:

It’s insanely unlikely, but how awesome would a walk-off still be?

229. baby carlos says:

6-2 lead and brad lidge is pitching… Charlie worried?

230. Frittoman626 says:

Did Moyer and Halladay switch bodies

231. JobaTheHeat62 says:

Jeter swinging at balls

232. bexarama says:

HOW IN THE WORLD WAS THAT STRIKE THREE???

233. Frittoman626 says:

FUCK that was a nice pitch

234. forensicnucchem says:

yikes, that was high.

235. Reggie C. says:

DOMENICK HIXON is lost for the season!

Holy shit , who’s gonna return kick-offs and drop long, wide-open passes from Eli ???

236. Cy Farnsworth says:

Yikes, Swish’s pissed.

237. JobaTheHeat62 says:

lets get em in the rubber game…The good ol’ Texan will whip some Philly ASS

238. JobaTheHeat62 says:

god I hope Paul O’Neill gets a twitter account lol

239. baby carlos says:

Tex…overmatched

240. beer man says:

boring game

241. Cy Farnsworth says:

Is Al Leiter still even watching?

242. Adam says:

How is it that I still confuse Chad Gaudin and Chad Durbin in my head?

243. Reggie C. says:

The new Drake record …

too much auto-tune? Is it a hot record? thinking of downloading it from itunes.

244. ARX says:

OK double here, then a walk, then a game tying Slam.

245. forensicnucchem says:

Ugh, how different is this inning now if not for that terrible call on Jeter (theoretically).

246. Adam says:

I’m guessing he wasn’t busting it, but…wow ARod was slow to get to 2nd there.

247. bexarama says:

Very similar to the double that won Game 4 of the WS if I do say so myself.

248. MikeD says:

That bad call on Jeter hurts.

249. forensicnucchem says:

Pinch runner Paul? Just in case the other 2 runners score from the on deck circle before A-Rod scores from 2nd???

250. Accent Shallow says:

<3 tying run to the plate <3

251. You get the tying run to the plate, this was a good showing.

252. JobaTheHeat62 says:

ohhhh Jorge…Please Jorge!!!!!

253. ZZ says:

Hopefully the end of this game is not near.

254. Jake H says:

Come on Posada!

255. JobaTheHeat62 says:

If Jorge walks does Romero come in?

256. MikeD says:

Back for the deciding game tomorrow. Andy will get it done.

257. JobaTheHeat62 says:

total buzzkill

258. camilo gerardo says:

did someone call the tying run coming to the plate before the inning?

jopo, you knew slider was coming

259. Jake H says:

terrible swing there.

260. Adam says:

Oh well. Solid job by the pen, and O’Neill rule in effect tomorrow!

261. Adam says:

Should be an interesting 30 for 30…

262. JobaWockeeZ says:

Yanks killed Halladay, Yanks get killed by Moyer.

/YCPB’d

263. Blechy game. Oh well.

264. Frittoman626 says:

Good try, they were just to late, cant win every game I guess but this game was really an emberrasment, no offense to Moyer :(

265. poster says:

I believe it was Axsia who said we would bring the tying run to the plate in this game. Good call.

266. Dela G says:

we’ll get em tomorrow fo sho

267. S.King says:

it was all just “fun” to get the tying run to the plate…but c’mon– everyone and their grandmother knows he’s throwing a slider to posada (who can’t hit a frickin slider to save his life), and he still swings at it.

it’s moments like that that i wonder if he (and other players in similar situations) ever THINK the game. did he really think it was going to be a slider he could touch?

AJ’s the big goat, but that would have been nice to keep the 9th going. we haven’t had many come-back wins.

and seriously– i have NO confidence when AJ takes the mound, b/c honestly i have NO idea what he’s going to do. it’s ridiculous how he can’t “battle”. it’s embarrassing.

• forensicnucchem says:

Posada’s actually been above average against sliders this year. The only pitch type he’s been better against have been fastballs, of course.

• Pasqua says:

Really? You’re criticizing Posada for swinging at a tight slider? You know what I assume a tight slider looks like out of the hand? A nice, fat fastball. Posada = good hitter. Lidge = good slider. Good slider beat good hitter. That’s it.

If Posada is standing there, in that situation, thinking, “He’s throwing me the slider. I ain’t swinging. Two outs. Two strikes. Ninth inning. I’m the tying run. Hell no. I’m takin’ it,” then I don’t think I would want that Jorge on my team.

• Jimmy says:

If he doesn’t swing he sees another pitch. WTH are you talking about?

• bexarama says:

It was 2-2. I don’t know what Lidge is inclined to throw on certain counts, but if he struck out on strike three looking? You gotta protect the plate.

• Accent Shallow says:

Manny Ramirez and Russell Branyan were both Cleveland Indians some time ago. Manny says to Russell one day:
        “Hey Russell, I notice that you have trouble with the inside fastball.”
        “That’s right, Manny, I do.”
        “Then why do you swing at it?”

That’s the difference between someone like Manny and someone like Branyan — Manny can recognize that pitch, and lay off. Someone like Branyan doesn’t, until it’s already too late.

• bexarama says:

You know, if he thought it wasn’t going to be a slider he could touch, I’m pretty sure he wouldn’t have swung at it.

• Mike HC says:

Easy to say that in hindsight. With two strikes you have to be thinking fastball, especially someone who throws as hard as Lidge, and adjust to the slider. Lidge threw an excellent pitch and just beat him, it happens. But don’t blame it on Posada not thinking.

And how can you say AJ does not know how to “battle” after last years post season. You know you will get great and terrible starts from AJ throughout the year, but he proved last year, he can shut down the best lineups on any given day.

268. The Three Amigos says:

YES just advertised for river ave blues for all your Yankee needs!!!

269. Kevin G. says:

RAB commercial on YES!!!111!!!!

270. forensicnucchem says:

You guys probably missed the commercial while waiting outside at the mailbox for your bonus checks, huh? :-)

271. deuce bag poster says:

Okay guys, Dante reccommended I precede poster with “deuce bag”. Not sure why he’d want me to put a different phrasing of “two bag” before my username, but o-kay. Done, for a limited time only.

Perhaps he meant another word. Alas, we may never know.